Wildfires

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Hi guys I was whatching the news and they think that a lot of the wildfires that have killed over 130 people in austrailia were started deliberately. I just can't believe that anyone could be that stupid and selfish to start fires knowing full well the damage they can cause in such a hot, dry climate with all those trees. I'm not really one for the death penalty but if all these arsonists were locked up in a house and then burnt down so they could know the full horror of dying in a fire well that'd suit me just fine. My heart goes out to anyone affected by these fires on here.

I just can't believe that anyone could be that stupid and selfish to start fires knowing full well the damage they can cause in such a hot, dry climate with all those trees.

This kid seems to know what the problem is:

iseedumbpeopleig0.jpg

Some people just don't think before they act. We all forget to think about the consequences of our actions every now and then (guilty as charged), but usually a red light starts flashing when you think about setting a forest on fire. These people seem to miss the cognitive feedback mechanism telling them something is a stupid idea...

Maybe Bruce Willis can go Die Hard on the arsonists... ;)

I've not been affected.

My girlfriends parents evacuated over the weekend, and she was going to stay with them next week. We'll see what happens.

My brother has some mates who were on a church camp in Marysville (town that was completely decimated). They heard an announcement over the PA "the fire is 20 km away, we should be alright", just as that was ending another one came over "the fire is 6 km away, if it hits us we'll weather it out on the golf course", then a third: "Everyone evacuate in convoy".

The entire town disappeared. Completely. The camp they were at was razed to the ground. The golf course is black.

We're glad they made it, but the toll has been massive. It's been good to see Kevin Rudd (our PM) hugging people, and a massive response in aid from groups like the Red Cross and Salvation Army. We only hope the toll doesn't rise and the people who have lost everything find the strength to rebuild.

Wow...I didn't even know about this! I went to Oz over the summer, and I made friends with a lot of Aussie people. I'd better ask them if they're ok!

Dear mates,

It's a deplorable tragedy to your Country - Australia (people, fauna, vegetation, homes). I know you have the courage to stand up, recover and move on. I hope the Rutledge family, is fine. Gretel Salgado and her husband, too.

Take care,

Last edited:
I've not been affected.

My girlfriends parents evacuated over the weekend, and she was going to stay with them next week. We'll see what happens.

My brother has some mates who were on a church camp in Marysville (town that was completely decimated). They heard an announcement over the PA "the fire is 20 km away, we should be alright", just as that was ending another one came over "the fire is 6 km away, if it hits us we'll weather it out on the golf course", then a third: "Everyone evacuate in convoy".

The entire town disappeared. Completely. The camp they were at was razed to the ground. The golf course is black.

We're glad they made it, but the toll has been massive. It's been good to see Kevin Rudd (our PM) hugging people, and a massive response in aid from groups like the Red Cross and Salvation Army. We only hope the toll doesn't rise and the people who have lost everything find the strength to rebuild.

Im in Belgrave and amazingly the closest fire was Ferntree Gully, which is still close but we were expecting and prepared to fight. I've got friends over at Healsville, but I'm not quite sure how they are at the moment. Another friend at Yarra Glen managed to keep his house. The fire was literally one meter from his house. Grass 80cm away is black, then the wind changed.
It is very pleasing to see the way the disaster is being handeled though. State and federal government haven't mucked around with relief. Trucks from NSW where sent down very soon, and K Rudd has given the assistance of the defence force. And it is good to see Brumby and Rudd down on site talking, listening etc.
Just goes to show bushfires don't discriminate either. The parents of our State Premier where at risk, news presenters lost property and sadly another news presenter and wife lost their lives.
The front page of Sunday's paper had "14 dead". Monday said 93, currently the toll is 173 and over 750 homes.

Heck, I forgot LG....... glad to know you're ok.

Thanks buddy.

Bit of a perspective update. The news just announced that the fire glow in the sky can be seen from New Zealand. Also they can be seen from space, they just had sattilite images on the news.

^ It will continue to rise as rescuers and firefighters search more and more areas.

I just can't believe that anyone could be that stupid and selfish to start fires knowing full well the damage they can cause in such a hot, dry climate with all those trees.
Unfortunately, for arsonists its all about destruction and pyrotechnics. Thats what gets them off.

My dads a fireman from New Zealand hes going over in like a couple of days to help out our Aussie mates (us and Australia are pretty close even though they steal our stuff like Split Enz Dred Dagg Phar Lap) anyways hes going over soon he also went to America to fight fires a few years ago and he loved it

Oh and those arsonists better hope the police find them before the people effected by the fires do or else they'll really be in the s**t then

Back