Aquarian SK10 or Emad 2

GdrummerR14

Hi im new on here and not sure if im doing this right but my bass head tore a few hours ago.. ive heard a lot of good things about the aquarian superkick 10 but i also really liked the evans emad wich is what i had on my bass. I just wanted to get personal opinions on the two heads for when i drop by guitar center.. thanks

It's totally personal preference. I prefer the EMAD.

If you're really wanting that tight click sound, then the Super 10 is gonna be the way to go. It'll also be more durable. However, that head has a lot less versatility than the EMAD 2, where you can control the amount of dampening with the included foam rings. Being made of two thinner plies, it'll be less durable, but will still provide a tight click.

Honestly, try them both over time and see which you prefer.

I've heard nothing but greatness coming from the Aquarian Superkicks but I've never had a chance to try them out. I started off with an EMAD and later switched to the EMAD2 and it's all I've used since. I've been thinking about trying the Onyx coated EMAD for some time now just to see what it does for me but I definitely want to stay open minded and get my hands on a Superkick.

I use SK10's live.
Great head, but part of the reason I use it is because it's so thick and muted.
I use a Beta 52 kick mic on a May internal micing system. With the mic being inside the drum it's a lot closer to the batter head than I would like. I compensate with using a thicker head to get more tone and boom and less clicky attack.

If I was micing my drum without the MAY system I would probably use an SK1 or Full Force head.

i prefer remo. but if i had to choose an alternative i would go with either/or. maybe leaning towards the emad.

if for some reason your looking for replacement foam rings for the emads, i have bags of new ones. these are not avail from evans seperately AND i'm in ontario, so i'm close enough for you to pick up.

PM me if interested.

Back