My reaction to Mastodon...

I posted a while ago; "Do Mastodon Suck Live?"
Well, I got to see them the other day with Red Fang and Dillinger Escape Plan and I must say, one of the best gigs I've been to! I've seen Prince, Foo Fighters and many other bands and these guys were definitely in there.

Dillinger Escape Plan though, those guys were insane! Not to mention Jeff Tuttle jumping on me which was pretty funny! Dillinger's drummer Billy was outstanding though! Super-tight and super-crazy... What an amazing drummer! (not to mention, everyone was going crazy).

Red Fang were really good too! Just a straight-up hard rock band! Can't really say much about those guys, total beer drinking music (though, I don't drink at all or do drugs haha!)

Then, Mastodon. The vocals were great! Which I thought would be the biggest disappointment, and everyone was just going crazy! Brann's drumming was another world, though... Still a little gutted he never got to sign my Rhythm Magazine. Which sucked... But honestly, if I could... I'd go see Dillinger and Mastodon everyday of the week and when they return to Scotland they'll be getting a return, via me!

I saw the same bill you saw at the beginning of their current tour. I was a little trepidatious about it because I've heard, and seen, enough video evidence to warrant the 'they suck live' rep that gets thrown around.

Musically they were 100% spot on as you say and Brann Dailor was flawless. I thought there was no way he'd execute all those insane rolls and fills he's known for . . . dude nailed 'em all.

There were some odd vocal moments but they were minor at best. For example, during the chorus of 'Spectre Light' they had a special mic and it was either not on or down so low in the mix to be non-existant. Even Brent Hinds sounded fine who is historically the vocal weak link.

One thing that bummed me out though is they did not play 'Oblivion' at all. Love the intro and the drum buildup so boooooooo.

Damn good to hear. I'd love to see Mastodon live, but I know I wouldn't be able to that kind of a crowd. Then again I'd pay twice the ticket price if I could sit behind Brann and watch him play for the whole show. Vocally, I've noticed it tends to be Brent who has issues with singing from time to time (it never sounds exactly like what's put on the album). Then again he could sing like a falsetto for all I could care, his guitar solos are immense!

Re: Dillinger. On of my friends used to always show me this clip. Proof that they are all balls to the wall.
http://youtu.be/r-lxwlgyhhA

Good to hear. Hopefully I'll finally get to see them this May, with Opeth and Ghost no less!

I saw the same bill you saw at the beginning of their current tour. I was a little trepidatious about it because I've heard, and seen, enough video evidence to warrant the 'they suck live' rep that gets thrown around.

Musically they were 100% spot on as you say and Brann Dailor was flawless. I thought there was no way he'd execute all those insane rolls and fills he's known for . . . dude nailed 'em all.

There were some odd vocal moments but they were minor at best. For example, during the chorus of 'Spectre Light' they had a special mic and it was either not on or down so low in the mix to be non-existant. Even Brent Hinds sounded fine who is historically the vocal weak link.

One thing that bummed me out though is they did not play 'Oblivion' at all. Love the intro and the drum buildup so boooooooo.

I was hoping for Oblivion and Divinations, but it was a totally awesome set! Blood and Thunder <3

Mastodon is fantastic live....no doubt
seen them many times

always top notch

I haven't seen them live yet, but this video makes me think that they'd be pretty epic..
Do you guys think the video is an accurate portrayal of how they actually are live?

http://smarturl.it/8mss6y

Mastodon is fantastic live....no doubt
seen them many times

always top notch

Seen them live with Dillinger Escape Plan supporting. Best gig I've been to in a long time! On my top 5 for sure!

That happened to me! Greg did that and kicked me on the face! Haha, but honestly... There were no worries, what a band! What a night infact!

I don't see how getting kicked in the face by a singer can be justified as a great experience, although I could be in the minority here lol. Do people really think that's cool? Is that how you show respect to your fans, by seeing if you can run across their faces like trying to run across water lol? I would actually take it as a sign of disrespect, unless that's what his intensions were in the first place. Just my opinion of course.

Cool that you seen Mastodon though.

I don't see how getting kicked in the face by a singer can be justified as a great experience, although I could be in the minority here lol. Do people really think that's cool? Is that how you show respect to your fans, by seeing if you can run across their faces like trying to run across water lol? I would actually take it as a sign of disrespect, unless that's what his intensions were in the first place. Just my opinion of course.

Cool that you seen Mastodon though.

Well some shows I been to it has been so crazy and the whole place seems to be ripe for such behavior. It is similar to football players bumping helmets, or some other sign of loving the intensity.

Their is an energy that I feel gets transferred, I have gotten kicked and i didn't mind.

I looked at it as not on purpose, just a temporary lack of control and uninhibited behavior.

Back