Twitter?

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Love it? Hate it?

I've only fairly recently begun using Twitter, and I rather enjoy it. Do any of you guys use Twitter? And if you do, what do you use it for? I'm using it to network, but also to keep up to date on things going on in the drumming community. I find that stuff winds up on Twitter before anywhere else a lot of times, because its so quick and easy.

Oh, and if you want to follow me, feel free to do so! I'll be glad to follow you back.

I have four people that I communicate with on a regular basis. One is about music, one photography, one computers, and one is my son.

It seems like there's three main groups of people who use Twitter.

1. Businesses and organizations who move fast and like to shoot out updates to their customer base on what's going on.

2. Entertainers who use Twitter to either scoop TMZ or feed the obsessions of their fans.

3. Everyone else.

I am conversant with Twitter because of my job, but personally I don't feel that I have a need for it because I don't have a wide customer base. However, that could change the more I get into music promotion.

It seems like there's three main groups of people who use Twitter.

1. Businesses and organizations who move fast and like to shoot out updates to their customer base on what's going on.

2. Entertainers who use Twitter to either scoop TMZ or feed the obsessions of their fans.

3. Everyone else.

I am conversant with Twitter because of my job, but personally I don't feel that I have a need for it because I don't have a wide customer base. However, that could change the more I get into music promotion.

Yeah, that seems about right to me. A lot of the power users seem to be entrepreneurs though, although I suppose that would fall under the "businesses and organizations" group.

What do you do for a job that you use Twitter for?

I'm on it, (@BrownCornelius, if you want to add). I like it personally, I'm following a whole host of rappers and emcees, a few drummers from my favorite bands, several comedians, and news and tech writers. It's handy, that's how I found out that the White Stripes were splitting, ?uestlove tweeted it one morning and then I just started hunting around the interweb for more info about it.

There are a few things about it that I can't stand, like the unnecessary retweets by people I'm following. Unnecessary, in the context of there's no news or information in it, its more of them receiving praise for what they're doing. I don't mind it from time to time, but when you see 7 or 8 minutes of solid retweets by the same cat, it gets a little obnoxious.

I'm on it, (@BrownCornelius, if you want to add). I like it personally, I'm following a whole host of rappers and emcees, a few drummers from my favorite bands, several comedians, and news and tech writers. It's handy, that's how I found out that the White Stripes were splitting, ?uestlove tweeted it one morning and then I just started hunting around the interweb for more info about it.

There are a few things about it that I can't stand, like the unnecessary retweets by people I'm following. Unnecessary, in the context of there's no news or information in it, its more of them receiving praise for what they're doing. I don't mind it from time to time, but when you see 7 or 8 minutes of solid retweets by the same cat, it gets a little obnoxious.

I sent a follow request! I know what you're talking about, a lot of times the retweeting can be annoying. Then again, it can also be a great way to see tweets from people you don't follow yet.

I may be one of the few people who has never used Twitter. For me, email, texting, Facebook and my band's website are enough.

Do you use Twitter to find more people related to your interests, or do you just use it to communicate with people you already know? I find that its great for finding related people!

It can be used almost like a search engine. For instance I typed in Gretsch and found a bunch of drum, guitar related folks.

I have one for my band
One for personal
One for my music promotions

I keep track of my friend's bands

Can't spell Twitter without twit. Seriously though, I've never understood the reason for it. Maybe if you're some kind of movie-star or a famous band, but for more regular folks, you can always use Facebook or other social medias.
Never understood the fascination with people writing "Going to the toilet" and the people following. Maybe I'm just not star-struck enough..

If you are reading tweets from people telling you that they are going to the bathroom then you have some demented friends. I find facebook to be the more juvenile of the two with all of the silly games and garden growing etc. People criticize without knowledge and that is a shame. Twitter is a handy, well used by more than rockstars, social media outlet that has plenty of practical uses. I post one message and whomever is interested sees it. I don't have to type a bunch of emails to get my message to many people. There currently 190 million "twits" using the service.

If you are reading tweets from people telling you that they are going to the bathroom then you have some demented friends. I find facebook to be the more juvenile of the two with all of the silly games and garden growing etc. People criticize without knowledge and that is a shame. Twitter is a handy, well used by more than rockstars, social media outlet that has plenty of practical uses. I post one message and whomever is interested sees it. I don't have to type a bunch of emails to get my message to many people. There currently 190 million "twits" using the service.

I'm not criticizing the people using Twitter per se, but more the people posting mundane messages and such.
I've seen quite a few funny tweets from famous people, but for me it won't be useful for some time at least.

Can't spell Twitter without twit.

I'm not criticizing the people using Twitter per se

I guess not.

It can be used almost like a search engine. For instance I typed in Gretsch and found a bunch of drum, guitar related folks.

Absolutely! And the nice thing is that its easy to connect with the people who you find through the search. And in the future, they will continue to provide you with content you're interested in.

I have one for my band
One for personal
One for my music promotions

I keep track of my friend's bands

Thats the way to do it!

Can't spell Twitter without twit. Seriously though, I've never understood the reason for it. Maybe if you're some kind of movie-star or a famous band, but for more regular folks, you can always use Facebook or other social medias.
Never understood the fascination with people writing "Going to the toilet" and the people following. Maybe I'm just not star-struck enough..

There are a million uses. I pretty much don't follow anyone famous, except some drummers, and I happen to get virtually no stupid tweets like the one you referenced. I do however get insider tips from various drum resources, because they go to Twitter before anywhere else, since its so easy. To each his own, I suppose ;)

Facebook is enough for me, I don't see the need to add twitter on top of it.

Can't spell Twitter without twit.

I'm not criticizing the people using Twitter per se

I guess not.

I love the sarcasim! :)

I don't use Twitter, but then again I'm not really a technological kind of guy. I do use Facebook, but my girlfriend kind of forced that upon me, along with my bandmates in order to make me help "spread the word" of what shows we have coming up and all that good stuff. And for that side of things I think it's great and I'm glad they have things like that available to everyone. But I also think it's like Myspace and after some time it'll lose it's appeal and become strictly a networking site for bands and businesses and what not.

Yeah, that seems about right to me. A lot of the power users seem to be entrepreneurs though, although I suppose that would fall under the "businesses and organizations" group.

What do you do for a job that you use Twitter for?

Part of my job as a graphic designer is consulting clients on social media use and applications. For example, one of my clients is a personal fitness trainer. He has a "fitness tip of the day" that he shoots out via Facebook, YouTube, and summarizes in tweets. Kind of a little sideline from the main job of drawing and typesetting and logo making...

Part of my job as a graphic designer is consulting clients on social media use and applications. For example, one of my clients is a personal fitness trainer. He has a "fitness tip of the day" that he shoots out via Facebook, YouTube, and summarizes in tweets. Kind of a little sideline from the main job of drawing and typesetting and logo making...

Cool, thats similar to what I'm doing. Once I get everything rolling, I'll be writing music, uploading everything to Youtube along with the video of me tracking the drums, putting the song files up on Bandcamp, blog about it, and then using Facebook and Twitter to spread the word. FB, Twitter, and Youtube seem to be the trifecta of social networking right now. I wonder how it will progress in the future... we'll see :D

Back