Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Y'all should spoof the American Rejects - "Gives you hell" some how. That would be funny.

Yes, I can just hear Al now..

"Can't believe you SMELL, yes you really SMELL, Man, you really, SMELL!" :)

or how about a skateboard dude singin'..

"Can't believe I FELL, really rang my BELL, What a drag, OH WELL".. :)

I'll stick to drums.....oh, there's a pun in there, too!

Bermuda, does Al ever ask you guys for lyrical help or opinion? Does he bounce things off of you guys to see if it works?

Last edited:
Hi Bermuda,

Just curious, are you from Bermuda? Reason I ask is my band is cruising there again (trip # 10) May 29Th aboard the Norwegian Spirit. Beautiful Island.

Nah, I was born in Chicago and have never been to Bermuda. Someday though...

Hey Bermuda!!

I wanted to thank you for your reply over in my 'Peggy Sue' thread. It was my first response from you in a thread.

I just wanted to thank you for hanging out here and helping us 'little people' so much. I'm such a huge fan or your work; it was quite an honor to receive some advice from you.

Thanks again!

My pleasure, although I still learn more than I can ever give back.

Hmmm, that sounded overly-gracious, but it's true.

Bermuda

My pleasure, although I still learn more than I can ever give back.

Hmmm, that sounded overly-gracious, but it's true.

Bermuda

Overly-gracious, but true... That's funny. I feel like that guy in 'That Thing You Do'...
"I listen to your records and I think you're great....you are my biggest fan!"

Hey Bermuda. I just followed the link to the podcast interview with you, very cool, very informative. I was particularly interested to hear that you have been in the web-design business for a while and doing well at that. I'm a 42 year-old drummer, tours a few weeks per year, who's been looking at other career options as my musical opportunities have been thinning out, and started learning web-site design a year and a half ago. I was wondering if you have any advice on success on that front. Do you market yourself as an all-around site designer, or as one who specializes in musicians' sites? Where does your work come from, just word of mouth or do you advertise or what? thanks for sharing your time and advice on this board, we appreciate it.

I've been creating web sites since 1995, and I went legit in 1997 with a business license and 'home office' permit from the city (and all of the tax benefits those afford!) My clients are strictly word of mouth, and their fields and web needs vary. I consult, help with registration and hosting, do web-related graphics, convert audio, and of course format the pages (I still code from scratch.)

But web design involves more than simply making a page, which most people can do with Dreamweaver or Microsofts web authoring program (used to be Frontpage.) There's the creative aspect (which is not my forte, but I take direction well when the client tells me what they want), as well as some internet 'theory' about conceptual and actual dos & don'ts of presenting info on the web. For example, use of typefaces (everyone else calls them fonts,) consideration as to how people view the web (resolution & browser dimensions,) and staying behind the curve a bit - not everybody's up-to-speed with the latest plug-ins or apps. Basically, you have to be hip to compatability, so everyone can view the site the way you intend. I first got online in 1993, so growing with the web gives me an overview on this that newer designers don't have.

Example: there's a high-profile site I created and manage, and there are constant efforts by consultants to try and improve the site. What they end up discovering is that the site in fact does exactly what it was intended to do, and does it very well. I'm not offended by these suggestions, it just reinforces that I know more about what I'm doing than they know about what I'm doing. Not everyone has a better idea.

Like any creative/technical skill, there are many possibilities, and some ideas can be over the top... just like with drumming! And similarly, substance over flash always wins.

So hang in there, make sensible recommendations to clients, and good luck!

Bermuda

Cool, thanks for your prompt reply. I totally understand the comparison of web design to drumming. You can (and I say, should) stretch out and play all kinds of exciting things on the drums, but if you want to pay the bills, you better know how to play some 2 and 4. I've had a great music career so far because I enjoy playing the whole range, from the simple to the ridiculous. My web design career will probably eventually go the same way.

Anyway, if you have some time to kill check out this site.If it was music, it would definately be John Zorn-after too much coffee.

Ha ha! Eric, your site bent my brain! That was pretty funny :)

Great analogy, Bermuda - music and web design. Who was that jazz drummer who also did abstract art? I read how he believed the two fields had a lot of commonality.

When I first started designing web sites I was insane. If there was a Javascript widget that went "boing" I'd use it. Once all the heavy CSS and backend SQL came in I got scared away. It's pretty techy these days.

Last edited:
Hey, Polly, glad you liked it. Just so there's no confusion, it is NOT my site, it's just one I recommended for entertainment. I wish I had the skill for doing something like this though! Someday...

Anyway, I've met plenty of drummer on this site who are or have been involved in web design in one way or another. I've decided to start a post in the off-topic forum for like minded drummers to discuss web design, so we don't keep hijacking other threads, such as, say, this one here. Thank you, Bermuda, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Hey Bermuda, just got through watching you and Weird Al on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. You guys did a great job! Having the C.N.R. video playing behind you on a green screen was a cool touch. Loved the Meg White wig and the candy stripe swirl reso on your kit.

Thanks... that's one of Meg White's actual heads! (courtesy of Todd Trent)

Bermuda

I've been creating web sites since 1995, and I went legit in 1997 with a business license and 'home office' permit from the city (and all of the tax benefits those afford!) My clients are strictly word of mouth, and their fields and web needs vary. I consult, help with registration and hosting, do web-related graphics, convert audio, and of course format the pages (I still code from scratch.)

But web design involves more than simply making a page, which most people can do with Dreamweaver or Microsofts web authoring program (used to be Frontpage.) There's the creative aspect (which is not my forte, but I take direction well when the client tells me what they want), as well as some internet 'theory' about conceptual and actual dos & don'ts of presenting info on the web. For example, use of typefaces (everyone else calls them fonts,) consideration as to how people view the web (resolution & browser dimensions,) and staying behind the curve a bit - not everybody's up-to-speed with the latest plug-ins or apps. Basically, you have to be hip to compatability, so everyone can view the site the way you intend. I first got online in 1993, so growing with the web gives me an overview on this that newer designers don't have.

Example: there's a high-profile site I created and manage, and there are constant efforts by consultants to try and improve the site. What they end up discovering is that the site in fact does exactly what it was intended to do, and does it very well. I'm not offended by these suggestions, it just reinforces that I know more about what I'm doing than they know about what I'm doing. Not everyone has a better idea.

Like any creative/technical skill, there are many possibilities, and some ideas can be over the top... just like with drumming! And similarly, substance over flash always wins.

So hang in there, make sensible recommendations to clients, and good luck!

Bermuda

Good advice...........................

Hi Jon

First off a big thank you for not only your recordings and performances, but also for the practical advice you offer in your posts.

I was just curious, you have given a lot of great insight into how to be a full time working drummer. Are there any gigs you would refuse to take? If so what kinds of things would cause you to refuse?

Thanks for your time, and happy drumming!!!

Thanks, and I hope I can give back some of what I get from the collective knowledge and experience here.

I've only turned down gigs because of a scheduling conflict, or timing (I recently got a call in the middle of dinner to do a gig an hour later,) or if the money and travel didn't work out, which is not to say I have to make money on every gig, but I try not to lose money either.

But I've never turned down a gig based on musical preference, because basically, I like playing drums, and the music around me doesn't really affect that passion. I do like some genres better than others, but I don't dislike a style enough to avoid playing drums when given the opportunity.

I play whenever I can.

Bermuda

Haha, I have a picture of when I met you like eight years ago man. It was a Weird Al concert in Pittsburgh and me and some buddies got some backstage passes. So of course everyone's flocked around Al and so me and my one friend looked over and went "whoa wait, that's Bermuda over there drinking some milk."

If I can find that picture I'll upload it here. It was pretty rad. Hell of a concert, too. I still remember seeing the videos of you and Al back in the day with you just whacking a shoe on Al's accordion case. What a journey, LOL.

Back