Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Hey Bermuda,
Could I interview you for school? I understand if you don't.
Just answer the following questions:
When did you get involved in music?
Were your parents supportive of you when you decided to pursue music professionally?
If you weren't involved with music professionally what would you be doing now?
Do have any other hobbies/interests?
What advice would you give to young musicians?
What do you like about music the most?

Thanks Jim!

Bermuda

Mr. Schwartz, could you give me some tips on what kind of heads I should use... I play a mix of rock, alternative, and funk. I heard some of your stuff and you are awesome at the drums, so I thought I could ask you this question since you sound like you would know. Thanks!

Thanks for your confidence in me, head choices are very subjective and I can only tell you what works best for me.

On snare I like a coated head, usually 2-ply. My fave for a while has been the Evans ST (Super Tough) and I also like the EC Reverse Dot head - also coatd - which is a little more lively.

For toms I love the EC2 clear for a round, punchy sound with some attack. Occasionally I'll use a coated G2. The resonants are usually a clear G1 or clear Resonant head (I don't really know what the difference is...)

And for kick I love the coated EMAD for un-mic'd situations, and a clear EQ4 for everything else.

I hope that helps,

Bermuda

Thanks for your confidence in me, head choices are very subjective and I can only tell you what works best for me.

On snare I like a coated head, usually 2-ply. My fave for a while has been the Evans ST (Super Tough) and I also like the EC Reverse Dot head - also coatd - which is a little more lively.

For toms I love the EC2 clear for a round, punchy sound with some attack. Occasionally I'll use a coated G2. The resonants are usually a clear G1 or clear Resonant head (I don't really know what the difference is...)

And for kick I love the coated EMAD for un-mic'd situations, and a clear EQ4 for everything else.

I hope that helps,

Bermuda
don't worry, i'm sure it will, i will try and scoop up some money and try those out! thank you for the tips!

Spent a few min reading through the thread, Grabbed a popcorn and coffee as it got pretty entertaining, Some people do like to take a misunderstanding and beat it to death.

ANYWAY, Jon, you have all my respect man, I am a big fan of weird Al's and you being his drummer forever, you're a large part of Weird Al's sound. You do have the best gig of anyone out there.

Quick question, I love the pic of you behind the MAMMOTH Kit, is that a 40" kick? And I assume you were just clowning around, That's not the kit for the new tour? lol.

All the best, Pete

Attachments

• bermudadunnett.jpg
    bermudadunnett.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,091
Thanks for the compliments!

I think that pic was taken at the last winter NAMM, just having fun of course. I've been using a Ludwig Classic Maple kit these past two years on tour, and have a Legacy kit that I'm taking on local gigs and into the studio.

I sort of recall that kick making a big boom, but I don't know how usable it would be on a normal gig. Even Tommy Lee's giant kick is open on the batter side and has a small kick inside that's actually the one being played.

Bermuda

Thanks for the compliments!

Even Tommy Lee's giant kick is open on the batter side and has a small kick inside that's actually the one being played.

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda,

I speculated that that he was actually hitting some kind of trigger....crafty showman...that Tommy Lee...

Meanwhile... I'd like to ask: if stranded on a desert island gig...and you had to make a "Sophies choice" between either the Ludwig legacy or classic kit...could you do it?

Legacy for sure! It's a lot easier to get them to sound modern, than to get a Classic kit to sound old skool, so they've got versatility on their side. They're the only drums I record with now. They're just the best.

Bermuda

Posted Feb 6th 2009 7:24PM by TMZ Staff

Weird Al Yankovic was just involved in a three-car fender-bender in Hollywood -- not too weird considering people in California suck at driving in the rain.

It was a simple chain reaction -- a taxi cab rear-ended a car that rear-ended Weird Al.

We're told everyone was fine and the people involved even exchanged information before going on their separate ways.

A witness on scene tells TMZ Al was especially cool, calm and collected after the crash -- and was even waving to fans.
------------------------------------------

Geeze Bermuda, I hope you and your sideman are ok!!! ;)

Well, I'm fine...

but he's also fine. :)

Bermuda

Is it true that Weird Al and Derek Roddy are the same person? I can't tell them apart. This may require something like DNA testing or een fingerprinting.

I saw some of your posts elsewhere and knew you were pro, but Weird Al's drummer?
Thats one of the COOLEST gigs I can think of! I'm honored to post in the same thread as a pro of your level!!

*totally geeks out*

Hey I was just curious if you have any new material coming out soon or anything. I haven't heard any new songs out by Weird Al; I haven't been really searching either. Y'all should spoof the American Rejects - "Gives you hell" some how. That would be funny.

Spent a few min reading through the thread, Grabbed a popcorn and coffee as it got pretty entertaining, Some people do like to take a misunderstanding and beat it to death.

ANYWAY, Jon, you have all my respect man, I am a big fan of weird Al's and you being his drummer forever, you're a large part of Weird Al's sound. You do have the best gig of anyone out there.

Quick question, I love the pic of you behind the MAMMOTH Kit, is that a 40" kick? And I assume you were just clowning around, That's not the kit for the new tour? lol.

All the best, Pete

HOLY CRAP. Is that the infamous 30" ride? You know what they say about people with big cymbals ;P

We were in the studio a few weeks ago working on 4 tracks for the new album, they'll be released on iTunes (& Amazon, etc) starting in June and will also appear on the album when it's finished, hopefully next year.

Bermuda

Back