mic-ing for live. (budget)

Hi
my band just got off it's feet and all were doing for the moment is playing live. i feel pretty embarassed borrowing either the sound guy's or another band's mics for live shows. I'm not gonna lie, im a noob when it comes to mic-ing. i also dont have lots of money to spend on really good mics.

what kind of mics are best for what on a budget?
also, do you have to mic the cymbals? (including hi-hat) or do other mics pick that up?

Most sound guys and clubs are supposed to provide mics and a sound system. You shouldn't feel bad about "borrowing" mics from the sound guy.

The main reason drummers buy their own mics is because their own band is running its own sound (has its own system, mixes itself, checks its own monitors and mains, etc...). Either that, or they're picky about the way their drums sound, and so they'll bring their own mics along because they figure the sound guy won't have those types of mics.

If you're really looking to mic yourself for live performances, I'd say go with either Audix, Shure, or AKG. If you look for cheaper "drum mic packs" like CAD, you'll probably regret the purchase after you hear what they make your drums sound like.

About miking the cymbals...it depends on the venue. Outside, yes. Indoors, sometimes...it depends on the size/shape of the room. The smaller the room, the less likely you will need to mic the cymbals.

Oh, and buy used (but not abused). That will help to keep your costs down.

If you're on a budget, that's even more of a reason to get good mics from the start. Because the money you wasted on cheapie mics could have gone towards the better mic. Audix I5, 100 bones, Audix D6 for the kick 200 clams, and a decent overhead condenser are all you really need to capture your kit. 500 bucks and you're set for life.

Like the other posts say, if you can swing it, get fewer, better quailty mics. Two decent overheads and a decent bass drum mic will have you covered in most situations.

I do have the CAD mics. I can't say I regret the purchase because the mics do their job, and for live performance work well. I have had them for a couple of years now. On small gigs I will just use 1 overhead and the bass drum mic and consistently get a good drum sound.

I have used the Audix mics and they sound fantastic. That would be a wise purchase. Check craigslist and other local postings. You may find a gently used higher quality set for around the same price as the budget packs.

Most sound guys and clubs are supposed to provide mics and a sound system. You shouldn't feel bad about "borrowing" mics from the sound guy.

The main reason drummers buy their own mics is because their own band is running its own sound (has its own system, mixes itself, checks its own monitors and mains, etc...). Either that, or they're picky about the way their drums sound, and so they'll bring their own mics along because they figure the sound guy won't have those types of mics.

are you sure? because there's a sound engineer who happens to be my friend. when i came to him and told him what you just said, he told me "whoever said that must have his own sound guy to do it because im sick of musicians coming up to me before a gig and asking if i have the mics/cables/ect. they need"

although i do agree with you, is that the standard? or is that just some lucky gigs that the sound guy had the mics?

are you sure? because there's a sound engineer who happens to be my friend. when i came to him and told him what you just said, he told me "whoever said that must have his own sound guy to do it because im sick of musicians coming up to me before a gig and asking if i have the mics/cables/ect. they need"

although i do agree with you, is that the standard? or is that just some lucky gigs that the sound guy had the mics?

Um, as far as I know, it's the standard. In the U.S. it is, anyways (don't know where you're from).

When you go to play at a club, they should have their own PA system (mains, monitors, soundboard, cables, mics, stands, etc...). They simply hire a soundman to show up and set up and run their stuff. When you actually hire a soundman for a gig at a place that doesn't have a PA, they are responsible for providing all of the previously mentioned stuff. The musicians are responsible for bringing their instruments, and the soundguy is responsible for the tools necessary to reinforce and amplify the sound. But, as in all things, communication beforehand is key. If the vocalist has a mic they use, or the drummer has his mics/cables/stands/submixer that he's used to, then they should inform the soundguy ahead of time. If not, it is assumed that the soundguy will provide all of that.

I could understand if your friend's frustration is about the guitar player asking if the soundguy has an instrument cable to borrow because he forgot his, or if the bass player shows up and says to him, "Okay, where's the bass amp?", or if the drummer gets in his face and demands a set of high hats. Those things are out of his jurisdiction. But, to get "sick of musicians" that expect him to bring the stuff he's been hired to bring and use is baffling to me, being from the States.

Although, I do know some drummers (and other instrumentalists) who are frumpy and grumpy about having to haul all of their gear to every gig. I tell them that they should get a different job if this one makes them so unhappy. Most soundguys seem to understand that it's part of their job...

Um, as far as I know, it's the standard. In the U.S. it is, anyways (don't know where you're from).

When you go to play at a club, they should have their own PA system (mains, monitors, soundboard, cables, mics, stands, etc...). They simply hire a soundman to show up and set up and run their stuff. When you actually hire a soundman for a gig at a place that doesn't have a PA, they are responsible for providing all of the previously mentioned stuff. The musicians are responsible for bringing their instruments, and the soundguy is responsible for the tools necessary to reinforce and amplify the sound. But, as in all things, communication beforehand is key. If the vocalist has a mic they use, or the drummer has his mics/cables/stands/submixer that he's used to, then they should inform the soundguy ahead of time. If not, it is assumed that the soundguy will provide all of that.

I could understand if your friend's frustration is about the guitar player asking if the soundguy has an instrument cable to borrow because he forgot his, or if the bass player shows up and says to him, "Okay, where's the bass amp?", or if the drummer gets in his face and demands a set of high hats. Those things are out of his jurisdiction. But, to get "sick of musicians" that expect him to bring the stuff he's been hired to bring and use is baffling to me, being from the States.

Although, I do know some drummers (and other instrumentalists) who are frumpy and grumpy about having to haul all of their gear to every gig. I tell them that they should get a different job if this one makes them so unhappy. Most soundguys seem to understand that it's part of their job...

alright then. yes i do live in the states, so maybe its just my friend : /
so i guess i wont worry too much about mic-ing up until we are hitting the studio (if ever, no one else in the band seems as enthusiastic about writing their own stuff)

He's probably complaining about unprepared bands begging for gear to perform with. Mics for sound reinforcement are always the responsibility of the venue or the soundman, usually, whoever provides the PA.

so i guess i wont worry too much about mic-ing up until we are hitting the studio (if ever, no one else in the band seems as enthusiastic about writing their own stuff)

Oh, and when you go to a recording studio, they also should provide all of the mics, cables, A/D interfaces, recording gear, etc. you need. Most times, I see drummers coming in with their own mics, but then succumbing to the awesomeness that is the studio's $3000+ overhead condensers and $1000+ dynamic mics for close-miking. Kind of takes the wind out of the sails of their sacred Audix or Shure drum mic pre-packages! :D

Back