UFIP Cymbals: A review.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I recently received a full set of UFIP cymbals on loaner from my friend and fellow forum member Jim Betsios. Jim Happens to be the North American distributor for these cymbals. UFIP is an Italian company with some pretty unique methods of cymbal manufacturing. First off, they use a rotational casting method which employs a spinning mold and then the molten brass is poured inside. This makes for a homogenous metal matrix and an evenly balanced cymbal. The resulting casting is MUCH thicker than a cymbal is and so then the next step is shaving off metal. UFIP artisans do this by hand. They are the only cymbal company in the world that makes cymbals this way. No one else uses rotational casting nor does anyone else (of the big guys) do all of the remaining work by hand.

I have played them on a few gigs and in the studio as well. The exact cymbals were:

13" Experience Series Hi Hats
14" Bionic Series hat
16" Bionic Series crash
19" Bionic Series crash
21" Bionic Series Ride (Heavy)
18" Rough Series China * this & the 13" hats were the only cymbals that were pre-played, in other words, used not new.

The Bionic series, as the name implies, is for heavy loud music. The cymbals are thick and bright. They reminded me of a more musical version of the Z's by Zildjian. The company has several cymbal lines and this one is the heavy one.

Crashes: I normally don't play such thick cymbals but these were definitely the most musical and versatile heavy crashes I've ever used. And they were LOUD! The 19" was great for riding on the and 16" cut through like a laser. High pitched yet full bodied.

The 13" hats were REALLY cool, the thickness gave them a little more beef yet they still retained their 13" quality. They were quick on accents and barks and sounded fat when played partially open. The 14" were also good, bright yet heavy. All the hats had holes in the bottom cymbal to eliminate air lock.

The ride: Friggin AMAZING! The rotationally casted cymbal really gets a chance to speak when you play it. This is one case where I love a heavy cymbal It's bell was piercing, yet never harsh.. The ping was perfect and the cymbal had many beautiful overtones which blended perfectly. I was able to get MANY different usable sounds out of this cymbal.

The China: OK, being a Peart fan growing up, I've always liked employing the china in my ride patterns. I've used them all from the "big three" manufacturers to Wuhan and some other crap I can't even recall. This China blew them all away! It was the only one of the set that was not from the Bionic (heavy) series. It sounded moe "Chinese than any othe china cymbal I've ever played. The tone is exotic and the timbre of white noise is absolutely delicious. (Quote from a singer).

They're just starting to get known in the US. Give 'em a shot if you're looking for something new. You can contact Jim at [email protected]

Nice review, Jeff.

UFIP do make some quality pies. I suggest everyone who wants something a little off the beaten track goes and checks them out.

I've tried some "experience" and "Rough" Series rides, crashes and hats and have to say they are really quality stuff... I agree iwth your assesments.

The other day I was watching Rene Engel perform, het had a Noble&Cooley kit with ufip cymbals and I loved how bright the cymbals were.

my apologies for crashing this thread

Thanks for the review, Jeff. Could you possibly record them for us? Would love to hear them!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried out Ufip's Tiger series?

The series looks awesome, but I've never heard the sound.

Dutch jazz drummer Joost Leibaart was in town, and 'could' be persuaded to part with his 22 " UFIP jazz ride. Have no idea ( neither does he )as to which exact cymbal it is.

All I know is it sounds great. Could anyone shed any light on this? How much would a cymbal like this be worth?

thanks

I actually am in the middle of a tour of these ufips over on ghostnote, and I must say theyre really impressive. Jims a great guy for actually trusting these cymbals to guys just to try them out. It's that kind of grass roots and honest approach that impresses me with companies like this.

I actually am in the middle of a tour of these ufips over on ghostnote, and I must say theyre really impressive. Jims a great guy for actually trusting these cymbals to guys just to try them out. It's that kind of grass roots and honest approach that impresses me with companies like this.

Couldn't agree more. Jim is a great guy and a pleasure to talk to. I've never done business, but I'd imagine he's much the same in that regard. It's a shame in some ways that I don't live over that way. This is old-fashioned product-and-substance-based marketing. Letting the product do the talking, and they do that very well.

I've always wanted to try UFIP's out. I'll be in Italy in September so hopefully I'll have a chance to give them a whack or two when I'm there.

Anyone know where I can sample these in Canada by any chance??

Hi!
I just wanted to add here my experience, though it wasn't so good.
I like to experiment and I am almost always ready to try smth new - some unpopular cymbals as an example.
So... 2 years ago i bought a 20" Crash, a 18" crash and 18" china - all of Ufip Rough series. I really liked the sound of them - it was great really - one of the best I've tried. BUT...
After 2 month of playing (I used them only in performances not rehearsals - for some 3-6 hours a month), I noticed that a small chink (crack) has appeared in middle of my 18" crash cymbal... and it went bigger.
So I took the cymbal to a local dealer, they approved that this is manufacturing defect, chanded the cymbal and I thought: "Ok, well, sh** happens - probably everything will be just fine from now."
After a month the same happened with 20" crash and soon also the china broke down same way. Ofcourse the dealer changed the cymbals again but after some 3 or 4 months the 2nd lap of brokedown began... and than one more... So in period of 16 months I've changed all my 3 cymbals 3 times (!)
...till I decided to give them back and buy some other manufacturers product. ...It is really a pitty couse the sound was great! Still - I couldn't continue to live (play) like that.. to play 3 months normally and than wait for new cymbals to bring from Italy for 1 to 2 months. And anyway - good cymbals shouldn't brake down so fast right?

That is my bad experience with Ufip Rough cymbals. I can not say anything bad (nor good) about other Ufip's series, except Brilliant series. I play Ufip's Brilliant 14" hi-hat for 1,5 years now and till now everything is perfect.
...so I don't know - maybe Ufip just likes to send bad "Rough's" to Latvia (the country I live in) :)

P.S.: I must say that after this "adventure" (I was not the only disappointed customer) my dealer broke the contract with Ufip. Many good latvian drummers who had decided to try Ufip, had problems too.. as much as I know some drummers gave back their Class series couse cymbals just "tired" after a while... the sound "choked"...

BUT STILL: I SUGGEST EVERYONE TO KEEP EXPERIMENT AND TRY NEW THINGS... couse there are many good things out there without Paiste, Sabian and Zildjan :)

Best regards,
-Agris-

Today I Purchased a Ufip Tiger Series 16" Crash. Its Great! Its strong and just about rideable in a jazz context. Its also really loud for crashing and is just a great, versatile cymbal. I bought the cymbal for 45 Uk pounds second hand. Im chuffed with it and think ive got myself a bargain!

I really want to try some UFIPs out. I think that very very few Americans have ever seen them in person let alone played them.

Agreed. I would love to try them out but i've never seen any here either. I've heard them in recordings and i've seen just a handful of people on Youtube use them and they do sound good. But again, i would like to play them myself.

Back