Keith Carlock

Just randomly, I searched google for pictures of Keith Carlock and came across this...

It appears his piccolo snare that I queried (in my previous post) is this one:

Yamaha SD 493 Brass Piccolo
(see link below)
http://www.vittoriopetrina.altervista.org/yamaha_sd_493/yamaha_sd_493_piccolo_brass_snare_drum.htm

And it looks like this:

On his DVD he doesn't use that snare. The 493 is a great drum, I've owned three of them and sold them on ebay. I missed it when I sold it so bought another.

Question! What is the K Zildjian he plays on his DVD. I think it is a 19 K isn't it?

Thanks!

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what he plays, since he's playing a lot of prototypes of already existing Zildjians, sometimes with certain features of multiple cymbals blended into one.

I think you're right though. On the DVD, I believe he plays (from left to right)

15" K Custom Special Dry Hi-Hats (Made just for Keith. They feature a small Constantinople like bell)
19" K Custom Special Dry Crash (Predecessor to 19" Special Dry Crash/Ride)
20" K Constantinople Medium
22" K Custom Special Dry Prototype (Again, just for him) Although this switches between a 20" Vintage K Istanbul Ride for certain tunes
22" K Constantinople (Not sure exactly which one)

Last edited:
I saw Keith at Gretsch Clinic in NYC last night, he is now playing Gretsch drums, the new Brooklyn series, and although he had small rack tom sizes, they sounded huge!

Nothing more I can add about his playing that has not been mentioned, terrific, but I was amazed how much power he could get out his left hand in a trad grip, he had an interesting way of moving his grip away from the fulcrum to the end of the stick to get more leverage and power, a really good clinic, with some great questions and answers.

Dunno, maybe the recording, I can't hear any difference between the Gretsches and the Yams he played. It's all much of a muchness and I say that as someone who's played both brands. It's how you play 'em

Ha, it's true he sounds about the same on the yamahas.

I love his playing but his bassdrum gets to me after a while.

That ride is frickin' massive, I wonder what it is?

Superb playing from Keith as usual, although the sound on that clip is not very good, I love the way he play these very intense grooves, and I like the open bass drum sound, it's more difficult to achieve the sound you want, but I prefer an open sound than a dry thud anytime.

Keith's kick patterns are very busy, playing around with lots of 16th notes, and sometimes it's overplayed, for sure, but it does sound good an complement his sound/style, the typical low end thud would not have the same effect.

Dunno, maybe the recording, I can't hear any difference between the Gretsches and the Yams he played. It's all much of a muchness and I say that as someone who's played both brands. It's how you play 'em

Thats the problem with the industry in my opinion. there is one sound and the engineers seem to have it dialed in. Every advert for drums makes them all sound the same. I was just admiring his playing and the look of the kit and cymbals and was not trying to make any brand comparisons. As for the bass drum, it sure sound better than anything full of laundry and felt strips.

Ha, it's true he sounds about the same on the yamahas.

That ride is frickin' massive, I wonder what it is?

pretty sure it's a 22" K Constantinople medium thin low

at least thats what it was when I studied with him

gorgeous sounding cymbal

I saw him with Sting maybe 3 - 4 years ago in Kuala Lumpur. Great playing and extremely dynamic. His fills are like thunder.

On a separate note I thought that item 1) on Sting's drummer checklist would be to get one with a splash cymbal. But Keith did not use one that night. I didn't miss it or felt that this drumming was out of place although lot of songs had splash cymbals all over them in the original recording.

thx

jorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG4iguSKQAA

Keith and Carlock trade off and GO OFF on half-time feel shuffle. Cool funky laid back bpm around the "Home At Last" Purdie tempo.

Fast forward to :43 to bypass the singing and start the trading off portion of the performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG4iguSKQAA

Keith and Carlock trade off and GO OFF on half-time feel shuffle. Cool funky laid back bpm around the "Home At Last" Purdie tempo.

Fast forward to :43 to bypass the singing and start the trading off portion of the performance.

I was sitting directly to the left of that camera

Josh Dion, VInny Valentino, and John Benitez .....one of the absolute best bands I have ever had the privilege to play behind

bandqv.jpg

Last edited:
I and about 75 others had the pleasure of attending a drum clinic at Sweetwater in Fort Wayne, Indiana this past Wednesday featuring Keith. Along with displays of his formidable chops, he had some great advice for the many youngsters (under 18) in attendance. In essence, he told them that woodshedding is great and practice a necessity but make it a priority to PLAY with others, particularly those who are better than you and can challenge you to be a better player. However you do it - form a garage band, play in high school band / drumline - just do it and keep learning.

This is wonderful advice from a very talented musician, thanks Keith!

Way back in 2002 I had the pleasure of seeing Keith Carlock plays the drums with a bass player and a guitarist at a tiny hole in the wall in Manhattan ... I have lost too many brain cells over the years to recall the whole evening but I remember one thing vividly ... I couldn't take my eyes off of his left foot ... incredible.

Back