Making port holes in heads without a stove?

Coopyears

Hey guys, Im new here on the forums so um, hello! I was just wondering if anyone knew any others ways to make port holes in drums heads, without using the hot can on a stove burning method, as I don't have access to my stove right now (im renovating my kitchen). I would prefer not to use a knife as It's a new remo coated ambassador head im doing it on, so i'm really afraid of ripping, and/or slipping with the knife and causing it to look bad or break the head. Does anyone know any other ways to do something like this?
Would also prefer not to buy anything (eg. a porthole cutting kit). Thanks.

I also recommend the Holz cutter, it's designed to do exactky what you want, and it does it well (I've had one for a while and it's never failed me.)

But if you absolutely can't invest a few $ to do the job right, there's another way.

Place the head front-side down on cardboard (or a cutting mat) on a smothh, stable surface. Take a 6" splash and set it in the position you want (note that it is reveresed from the front side of the head, so if you want the hole at 4o'clock, it must be cut at the 8o'clock position.) With a sharp single-edge razor blade, and holding the cymbal very firmly in place, cut around the cymbal while hugging the edge of it with the blade, so that it doesn't stray and slice the head where you don't want it.

If you do this and it doesn't work, you'll understand why I first recommended the right tool for the right job.

Wait... you're renovating your kitchen, and won't spend $10 on the Holz cutter to make sure you don't ruin a $35 head??

Bermuda

What Bermuda said...except I'd use an old CD. A 6" hole is kinda big IMO.

I've only ever used a knife. Use an appropriately sized object as a guide and you're all set.

I recommend applying some sort of support around the hole though, to avoid ripping or tearing it at a later date. Holz are great, but you can also get cheap mylar rings designed for the same purpose.

The danger with a CD is the possibility of jamming the blade in the edge of the disc, and making the hole slightly ragged from correcting the cut. If inserting a Holz ring, it's not important, but it sounds like the OP isn't investing in one.

Bermuda

Jon, you would have the same issue with a splash cymbal, right? Going off course? It's not terribly hard to do, cutting a hole, provided one is good with tools, just hug the edge. An exacto knife is a good tool for this job because of the control you get from the handle and the really pointy tip. A razor blade is clumsier by comparison.

Trace a circle on the head. Use an exacto or in my case a scalpel and cut inside of the line. Trim with a small pair of scissors. Cost $0.00 Put on a trim ring or better yet A Kickport and rock on.

I also recommend the Holz cutter
Another vote for Holz. Almost foolproof. I've been using 'em, for a good 20 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbu-hHM0XJY I've never used the cutting tool in the video. I just place the Holz ring on the drum head (per the instructions), then ... with a sharp knife, you cut INSIDE the ring. Very important, to cut inside the ring. Cutting outside the ring defeats having the ring.​
as I don't have access to my stove right now (im renovating my kitchen). I would prefer not to use a knife as It's a new remo coated ambassador head im doing it on, so i'm really afraid of ripping, and/or slipping with the knife and causing it to look bad or break the head. Does anyone know any other ways to do something like this?
Would also prefer not to buy anything (eg. a porthole cutting kit). Thanks.
Since you like the "hot can" method .... a barbecue or propane torch will heat a can just fine.​

I also recommend the Holz cutter, it's designed to do exactky what you want, and it does it well (I've had one for a while and it's never failed me.)

But if you absolutely can't invest a few $ to do the job right, there's another way.

Place the head front-side down on cardboard (or a cutting mat) on a smothh, stable surface. Take a 6" splash and set it in the position you want (note that it is reveresed from the front side of the head, so if you want the hole at 4o'clock, it must be cut at the 8o'clock position.) With a sharp single-edge razor blade, and holding the cymbal very firmly in place, cut around the cymbal while hugging the edge of it with the blade, so that it doesn't stray and slice the head where you don't want it.

If you do this and it doesn't work, you'll understand why I first recommended the right tool for the right job.

Wait... you're renovating your kitchen, and won't spend $10 on the Holz cutter to make sure you don't ruin a $35 head??

Bermuda

I've done this suggestion, but I found when I take the splash cymbal to the head, I cut in from the front, instead. You need alot of space on the floor so you can rotate around the head while you cut. Take your time and be careful!

Put the head face down on a piece of wood and hammer a nail through the center of where you want the hole. Tie a string to the nail, and tie the other end to an exacto knife, the length of string should be equal to the radius of the hole you want. Keeping the string taut, cut out the hole.

I've never actually done this... I kinda just pulled this idea outta my ass.. But it should work... right?

Xacto & string will work IF the string doesn't stretch, or get wound around the nail, and if the knife is held at exactly the same angle all the way around the cut. Otherwise, you get a ragged, uneven hole.

Seriously, I don't know why anyone wouldn't invest the $10 or whatever and get the right tool.

Bermuda

Sorry... Holz cutters are only $6 or 7.

Seems like a tiny investment to keep from ruining even one $35+ drum head.

Bermuda

Sorry... Holz cutters are only $6 or 7.

Seems like a tiny investment to keep from ruining even one $35+ drum head.

Bermuda

Don't candy coat it Bermuda. Tell us how you really feel. LOL!

People can be so cheap! If they make a cheap tool, use it. No other method will give you a good clean cut.

What Bermuda said...except I'd use an old CD. A 6" hole is kinda big IMO.

Yeah! 3.5", about perfect.

I used the hot can on a stove method awhile back and while it worked, it was a little messy and ended up tearing a small inch or so of extra mylar that I didn't want. I will probably go with a cutter kit next time, I recommend you do the same.

Back