A couple of things I'm not digging from Ludwig

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So it's Day Four with the new Ludwig Super Classic kit and I'm now convinced of a couple of things I don't like about the "new" era.

The new P-85AC snare strainer. Although I realize Ludwig has discontinued this part, I think it's not a day too soon they did. From a distance it looks cool, but then you realize that when the snares are engaged, you can't adjust the tension of the snares from the twist knob. I guess to counter one of the most basic complaints of the original P-85 (how the tension knob would loosen while playing), the new P-85AC now locks the tension knob when it's in the engaged position. So to do any fine tuning, you drop the lever half-way or so so you can turn the knob.

Second strike against the P-85AC is that the turn knob is thin, so it's somewhat quirky to handle in the first place.

Luckily, the mounting holes are the same as on the venerable P-85. So I'll be going out to Pro Drum soon to get one and installing it myself. Problem solved. I thought I read somewhere Ludwig was going to tweak the design of the P-85AC to address these issues, but I'll address it by just replacing it with what I already know I can work.

The other thing I'm not digging is the Triad floor tom leg mounts on the floor tom. Sometimes I think Ludwig did this because everybody else went to 12.7mm diameter legs (Gretsch and DW both use these super fat legs). They certainly work and can hold that heavy leg in place very well, but now you're dealing with a floor tom that won't fit in the old 16x16 hard case you've been using. They're also a lot heavier than the Classic mounts, which adds weight to an already good design.

I already have three of the older Classic mounts and I'm going to go ahead and mount them, and use short 16" 9mm legs. The new Classic mounts work fine, and they're lighter weight and smaller foot prints make them perfect.

The downside, is that Ludwig says the Triad mounts are 2" inch mounts, making them compatible with the Classic mounts. This is not true. The Triad mount is slightly wider than the Classic, so you can't do a direct swap. But I like the drums, I don't foresee having to return them to the shop I purchased them from, so I'm gonna widen one of the holes a bit so the Classic mounts will fit.

So, if you're a vintage Ludwig player, keep these discrepancies in mind if you decide to buy a new Ludwig kit. It's good stuff, and you most likely won't get a snare with the P-85AC strainer now, but those Triad floor tom leg mounts are just too big for what you need them to do. Even Gretschs' and DW's designs don't make the drum physically too big for your old cases, so I'm guessing they didn't think some Atlas stuff all the way through.

Any of you new Ludwig players have any qualms?

Bo, the improved strainer is the P88AC

I couldn't find any reviews, so not sure of the improvements. If you're not crazy about putting a P85 on there, people speak highly of the INDe Strainer. The hole spacing is variable, so no drilling required if the Ludwig is within the mounting screw adjustment range.

Bo, the improved strainer is the P88AC

I couldn't find any reviews, so not sure of the improvements. If you're not crazy about putting a P85 on there, people speak highly of the INDe Strainer. The hole spacing is variable, so no drilling required if the Ludwig is within the mounting screw adjustment range.

Thanks for that info - I wasn't sure they actually did the improvements.

Well, I've spent mostly all of my playing career using the P-85 and I'm used to it's idiosyncrasies, so for now I'll just stick with the P-85. At one point some time ago I tried the Dunnett throw-off, which was a superbly crafted tool - but at $70 it's definitely a decision to make. But I've always prided myself on being able to use the P-85 and making it work, so I'm good with sticking with it.

I'm a little bummed I'll have to do some additional drilling for the Classic mounts for the floor tom legs. The Triad is just a wee bit wider than the holes for the Classic mount (even after they say it's 2" like the Classic). So I can take a drill and just space one hole a little to be able to install it. Crude, I know.

Of course, they're your drums and you can do what you want with them, but I'd consider getting a larger case for the floor tom before hacking them up.
Not ideal, but there'd be room to spare with an 18" case.

Can't do much about the weight unless you get creative with a milling machine or something.
The Atlas Arch I've got seems overly heavy to me. Ya - stuff takes a pounding, but much lighter solutions can be had that give no trouble.

Anyways, I really like those drums. They remind me of a set I had when I was a kid. I still think about getting another like them sometimes.

. . . so I'm gonna widen one of the holes a bit so the Classic mounts will fit.
. . .
Any of you new Ludwig players have any qualms?

Ouch! Drilling on a new kit because it doesn’t fit the bag? I’d consider all options before doing that.

It’s always disappointing when your brand (Ludwig, Tama, . . . Canon, Nikon) makes changes that don’t actually improve life.

Hmmm, the floor tom leg mounts on my Classic Maples are neither restricted to 9mm nor are they as big as the Atlas. Do they not offer that any more? It seems perfect to me, and fits in a case. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Attachments

• Floor tom mount.jpg
    Floor tom mount.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 639
Leave it to Bo to become the first drummer ever to switch a strainer TO a P-85. You trendsetter. Congrats on the new kit by the way.

Hmmm, the floor tom leg mounts on my Classic Maples are neither restricted to 9mm nor are they as big as the Atlas. Do they not offer that any more? It seems perfect to me, and fits in a case. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Ludwig calls those the "Elite" tom mount. I bought one because it was advertised as being the same hole spacing as the Classic mount, but it is just a little bit bigger. My biggest beef is that the wing screw is spot welded to the actual adjustment screw, so if the weld fails (like mine did) the mount is essentially useless.

Ludwig calls those the "Elite" tom mount. I bought one because it was advertised as being the same hole spacing as the Classic mount, but it is just a little bit bigger. My biggest beef is that the wing screw is spot welded to the actual adjustment screw, so if the weld fails (like mine did) the mount is essentially useless.

Oh yes, that's right, the Elite mount.

Luckily I've had no trouble with the wing screws.

Leave it to Bo to become the first drummer ever to switch a strainer TO a P-85. You trendsetter. Congrats on the new kit by the way.

Well, you know, I'm so used to how those things work, I've just learned how to use them. Sometimes I get one and it's so finely machined it loosens up on its own, and sometimes you get one that doesn't loosen and works as it should. Either way, I can make them happen.

I was really a fan of the Dunnett throw made for the Supra, that was very cool. But at $70, it is a bit pricey just to get a strainer that won't loosen up. You can get new P-85's for $20.

Ouch! Drilling on a new kit because it doesn’t fit the bag? I’d consider all options before doing that.

It’s always disappointing when your brand (Ludwig, Tama, . . . Canon, Nikon) makes changes that don’t actually improve life.

Well, there's only two options. Stay with it, or drill one hole a bit to accommodate the classic mount. It doesn't mess with the outward aesthetics. Just my inner feeling of messing with a brand-new drum :(

I understand what you are saying about the new Ludwig throw off. I had one with a new lm-400. People are saying that you cannot re-adjust the tension with it engaged. True. The whole point is to lock the tension in so that you DO NOT have to keep adjusting it. It stays put, which is what people seemed to want.

The pearl Sensitone line has a Gladstone TO that operates the same way, and works great. The question is, why do you want to keep having to readjust your tension while you are playing? Don't you want it to stay put?

FYI, the keystone brackets are the same drilling as the Triad- you could swap those without drilling. Or if you wanted to keep some suspension in the brackets you could use the INDe brackets (no drilling needed), and use any size legs.

FYI, the keystone brackets are the same drilling as the Triad- you could swap those without drilling. Or if you wanted to keep some suspension in the brackets you could use the INDe brackets (no drilling needed), and use any size legs.

+1 Another vote for the INDe brackets - they are well designed, work very well, and yeah, whatever diameter legs you like will work.

Or what about a different case?

Back