Cases

Thanks Tard, I see that you mentioned that before, but Pocket-full-of-gold mentioned that hardcases had this feature, I thought he was suggesting that SKB didn't.

I've sent them an email asking if a 14x14 FT will fit in a 14x12 case.

Gator never got back to me btw.

:/

I took my sweet time deciding on a kit but I have some shows lined up, a mapex Saturn in transit and it's not going anywhere unless it's in cases so I'll need to jump on these cases. I can't remember which thread it was but I asked how these drums go with skb and I think the consensus was that it needs to be one size (2") bigger, speaking of the toms and bass.

So an 8" Saturn Tom goes into a 10" skb and 20" Saturn bass goes into a 22" skb case (and so on). Could I please get 1 or 2 people to confirm?

I took my sweet time deciding on a kit but I have some shows lined up, a mapex Saturn in transit and it's not going anywhere unless it's in cases so I'll need to jump on these cases. I can't remember which thread it was but I asked how these drums go with skb and I think the consensus was that it needs to be one size (2") bigger, speaking of the toms and bass.

So an 8" Saturn Tom goes into a 10" skb and 20" Saturn bass goes into a 22" skb case (and so on). Could I please get 1 or 2 people to confirm?

You should be able to find the exact measurements online. Compare those with the actual measurements of your drums.

Just to clarify what I said before;

Harcase do a range of cases called "hardrock" they are grey and are FULLY lined with eggshell foam at top and bottom and soft felt around the inside of the case.

They are superb cases and I would definitely recommend them- only thing I am unsure of is how they differ in price to the SKB's-
over here (UK) SKB is relatively unheard of so these HARDROCK HARDCASES were the obvious chose if I wanted to provide the best possible protection for my brand new Yamaha MCA.

Other than that protection racket do 'AAA' cases which are soft but hard at the same time- they are rigid but still foam. Really hard to explain but I just got one for my new snare (they don't do a 13" snare hardrock hardcase) and it is fantastic!
So good in fact I am slightly beginning to wish I'd bought them instead of my hardrock hardcases as they are much heavier than the protection racket cases- then again I imagine the hardrock ones do offer slightly more protection.

Anyway sorry for the essay just had to clarify that I wasn't just talking about normal hardcases but instead the grey "hardrock" Hardcase hardcases

Thanks burn - as I said before I've looked around and can get the SKB much cheaper than I can get the hardcases, so I'll just set my sights on those and work out what will work for my drums.

Thanks deathmetal, I've seen the measurements on the SKB site, just need to find the outer dimensions of the saturns somewhere, not having much luck there but I'll persist.

As a side note I've been thinking about RIMS mounting my sonors and getting a cradle for the 14" so that means they'll also need oversized cases... my sonor bass is a 22 so if what I think I know about saturns is correct then 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 cases will work with both my kits.

If you are going to be the one handling and transporting your drums, I'd suggest the Ahead Armor soft cases. They are lined, waterproof, durable, and teardrop shaped to accomodate your toms with suspension mounts. The protection Racket cases are just as nice but they are not teardrop shaped. The shape makes all the difference in the world.
Soft cases will also not beat you and your vehicle up like hard cases will.

If you are transporting your drums in a trailer with all of the other bands equipment, you definately want hard cases then. No telling how someone else will handle your gear.

Back