...for the jazz cats ...

What struck me about DB is his interview from Ken Burns Jazz. I know that documentary may be offensive to some, I had a piano teacher who called it Jazz according to Wynton but I really enjoyed some of the clips. It was Brubeck talking about his dad bringing him to places where segregation was strangling the country and how he made Dave promise to fight against that intolerance. He was a great gift for his music and his humanity.

I just realized, out of that whole band, only Eugene Wright is left now.
Wow. That was fast.

Elvis

A fun way to play 4/4 is to phrase it 3 3 2. Two bars of 3 and a bar of 2 to turn it around. You can use the bar of 2 to do melodic fills.
Makes 4/4 sound kinda like odd meter.

Btw I studied with Joe Morello and he said that DB's time was all over the place. Lol

A fun way to play 4/4 is to phrase it 3 3 2. Two bars of 3 and a bar of 2 to turn it around. You can use the bar of 2 to do melodic fills.

Btw I studied with Joe Morello and he said that DB's time was all over the place. Lol

that is a classic way to approach the ride pattern..... especially in up tempos

where and when did you study with Joe?

Joe and I had a mutual friend and we would often share a beer and a sandwich at Joes favorite bar in Irvington NJ

So somehow I missed the news that there were two Bill Evans Quintets that recorded in 1962, but, happily have just discovered this here in 2012! Wow! Bill, Jim Hall, Percy Heath, a young Freddie Hubbard and Philly Jo! The other line up is Bill, Jim, Ron Carter Zoot Sims and Philly Jo... What amazing musicians! Blows my mind! Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKo7kp5a6Y

Love discovering new things, even if they are old things. ;)

russell

Here's a great opportunity to pass on some knowledge to those who may be less studied in the technical aspects, but still enjoy the music.

12x7, Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean by "3" and "2", from you earlier post...and for that matter, what is meant by the time signatures we often see, such as "4/4", or "3/4".

Elvis

that is a classic way to approach the ride pattern..... especially in up tempos

where and when did you study with Joe?

Joe and I had a mutual friend and we would often share a beer and a sandwich at Joes favorite bar in Irvington NJ
I did a two hour lesson at Long Island drum shop in the 90's. It was great!

I'm wondering if you jazz cats could give me some recommendations. :) My favorite jazz albums of all time are A Love Supreme by Coltrane and Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock. I love 1960's jazz of that type and want to get into more because that playing is just inspiring. The sound, the expression, technicality, the feeling. Any recommendations for that kind of style? I prefer quartets. Thanks!

I'm wondering if you jazz cats could give me some recommendations. :) My favorite jazz albums of all time are A Love Supreme by Coltrane and Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock. I love 1960's jazz of that type and want to get into more because that playing is just inspiring. The sound, the expression, technicality, the feeling. Any recommendations for that kind of style? I prefer quartets. Thanks!

I could recommend some of my favorites

Wynton Kelly - at midnight
Ahmad Jamal trio - at the Pershing
Art Farmer quartet - to sweden with love
Sonny Clark - Sonny's crib
Dizzy Gillespie - Sonny side up
Chick Corea - now he sings now he sobs
Eric Dolphy - out to lunch
Jackie McLean - lights out
- Vertigo
- one step beyond
Herbie Hancock - empyrean isles
Freddie Hubbard - hub-tones
Duke Ellington - money jungle
Sonny Rollins - freedom suite
- a night at the Village Vanguard
- saxophone colossus
Joe Henderson - in 'n out
Larry Young - unity
Wayne Shorter - juju
-spaek no evil
- night dreamer
Thelonious Monk - Monks dream
- criss cross
- big band and quartet in concert
McCoy Tyner - the real McCoy
- reaching fourth
- inception
Art Farmer - eleven

I could really go on all day ....but that could keep you busy for a while :)

and if you enjoy A Love Supreme ....check out Giant Steps , Coltrane , and all his other records

Gvd covered a ton of great ones. That's a huge, excellent list that should keep you busy for a while.

If you love Herbie, the one I'd add is Maiden Voyage. Probably my favorite Herbie record and it features the title track that made Herbie famous as a composer and which he considers his finest piece of writing. It also has the sublime Dolphin Dance, probably my favorite Herbie composition.

And Tony Williams eats all the material alive. It's just an incredibly swinging, tasteful and inspired performance by young Tillmon throughout. One of his finest recordings, imo, and the magical Blue Note sound is on full display.

Back