Q3 Question/Does Thomas Lang answer questions anywhere?

Re: Does Thomas Lang answer questions anywhere?

You can buy some kind of holder for it. If you live in Europe, which I assume, check out Thomann.

According to the web site, the Q3 and Q3 HD mounts on a camera tripod, which (coincidentally?) uses the same thread as most cymbal stands (probably not Pearl stands. They use different standards than most other manufacturers). This means you'll be able to screw it onto most cymbal stand tilters.

Here's a Q3 accessory pack which includes a tripod:
http://www.thomann.de/se/zoom_apq_3hd.htm

edit: I just realised I might be remembering that wrong!

What I did was that I had a practice pad mount which had the same diameter tubing as my boom arms, so what I used to do was actually to mount that practice pad mount in my cymbal stands and then screw my camera onto that. I'm sorry about that, it was totally my mistake. You're right, tripod mounts will more than likely not be compatible with cymbal stand treads.

Thanks! I do have a tripod, but as far as I know no cymbal stand uses the
same size. I've never been able to mount my Q3 on any cymbal stand!

I'm confused. If you already have a tripod, then what's the question again?

Being able to mount it on a cymbal stand!! :)

(I mean, I have a mini-tripod, not a big 1-2m professional camera stand.
I don't want to have to buy one of those since I have enough cymbal stands)

Whoooooooops! Sorry! I didn't quite get what you were asking.

correct me if i am wrong but the zoom Q3 should come w/ a threaded mic clip adaptor that slides / clips right into a mic stand. this is what the zoom H4n came with & works GREAT for one steady shot. i have a pretty decent mic stand that can go real high & works great for audio & video (i use the same clip on my dig vid camera - same threading at the bottom).

this: http://www.google.com/#ds=pr&pq=zoom mic clip accessory&hl=en

correct me if i am wrong but the zoom Q3 should come w/ a threaded mic clip adaptor that slides / clips right into a mic stand. this is what the zoom H4n came with & works GREAT for one steady shot. i have a pretty decent mic stand that can go real high & works great for audio & video (i use the same clip on my dig vid camera - same threading at the bottom).

this: http://www.google.com/#ds=pr&pq=zoom mic clip accessory&hl=en

No correction needed. This is what you're seeing. It's a little plastic handle threaded for the tripod mount on the bottom of the Q3. My little H2 audio recorder came with one and I use it with all my Zoom stuff. Very handy, it just slips into the mic clip on a mic stand and you're off!

I'm not familiar with the Q3 although I've seen people writing about it.

I think the main point the OP wanted to address was the ability to somehow get the Q3 to use a cymbal stand end to hold it up.

AFAIK that's not going to happen with standard cymbals stands.

However - if you want to keep it on the cheap, locate a mike stand (friends, band members, etc.) that is old and has lost it's ability to adjust and tighten. It eventually happens to all mike stands and they become less and less useful. Try threading the Q3 on to the top to make sure it's OK. and compatible.

Get a hacksaw and cut off the top of the tube with the threaded part. At this point you would need a multi clamp to attach it to the cymbal stand. I've got some old Tamas and Pearls that still work great after 20 years. You might be able to find a used one for $5 or so. Make sure it will clamp sown on the somewhat thin diameter of the sawed off mike stand. Then clamp it on to the cymbal stand.

The challenge will then be making sure it's not too close to a cymbal. You might need to dedicate that cymbal stand just for recording. FWIW, with the sawed off tube and a multi clamp you can use any sturdy stand to do this.

HTH

Jim

FYI - after i read thru the initial Q, i HAD to check out the Thomas Lang, Mangini, Minneman, etc. auditions that were turned into a mini-series on this YT channel. GREAT stuff :

+ http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerRecords

just search on "The Spirit Carries On". there are 3 episodes and a trailer. VERY very interesting stuff & an inside look at a world-class auditioning process. i learned a lot just on what a band might want (they preferred the drummers who played the original tunes very close to the album / Portnoy parts with not TOO much improv, etc.)

Q3 Question/Does Thomas Lang answer questions anywhere

I also had this question. They have a fantastic generation of players.

BDW....wheres Dries Mertens? The Lukaku on the left....never heard of him but Mertens has been doing great for PSV on the left.

Met him the other week at the London Drum Show and when asked "how are you" he said "fine".

So in my experience he always answers the question!

Davo

Proof:

Attachments

• lang3.jpg
    lang3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 897
He also signed my drum stick. Now I have a pair of 5As I can't use!

Now I think of it. I should have asked a much more searching question.

I was too busy trying to catch his aura in the hope that some would rub off on me.

Davo

I meet Thomas Lang next week....so if you have specific questions: very welcome...

Bernhard

Bernhard,
hopefully this doesn't sound too dumb, but as I'm all into figures & numbers and also playing double bass very much...

Would he mind sharing his maximum doublebass speed for singles (heel up) and/or doubles (heel-toe)? That would really interest me. I guess Thomas can understand such questions ;-) Well you invited us to post questions - here is mine.

Bernhard, thanks in advance.

Bernhard,
hopefully this doesn't sound too dumb, but as I'm all into figures & numbers and also playing double bass very much...

Would he mind sharing his maximum doublebass speed for singles (heel up) and/or doubles (heel-toe)? That would really interest me. I guess Thomas can understand such questions ;-) Well you invited us to post questions - here is mine.

Bernhard, thanks in advance.

sorry Arky - i met Thomas - great Clinic by the way - but i didn't aks - my fault - sorry...

Bernhard

Back