ebay Gretsch 60's 6 lug on-the-mend

KONA

Silver Member
An eBay win a few weeks ago - $76.

Finished the search for parts........they're dribbling in here and there. I had a bit of bother finding a Renown Throw and the 6 hole die-cast hoops are not easy to find either.

Took the glue off, touched up the edges and repainted shell interior....same....secret Gretsch silver!

I have some plastic sparkle swatches coming and I may wrap it again.

The outer shell is pretty nice - good enough to apply a natural finish...............so have decided to mess around with Tung Oil.

I have a few coats on the shell as of today. Still have some light sanding to do and maybe a coat or two more..........and let it sit and cure for a few days to see how it looks. I can always wrap it if I don't like it. But I'm thinking with all the hardware back on and new heads - this will be a sweet little drum. I'm going to play this one - it's got a good home.

Dixieland Snare

Attachments

• IMG_5137 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5137 (Large).JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,248
  • LABEL BADGE SWITCH cropped (Large).JPG
    LABEL BADGE SWITCH cropped (Large).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_5194 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5194 (Large).JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 729
  • 1A (Large).JPG
    1A (Large).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 730
It does look good enough to not have to wrap.
Six lug snares are interesting to tune and play. You can only tension them so far before they just won't tighten anymore. I have two 13 inch six luggers that I use on a regular basis. One wood, and one steel.

Have fun!

I have some five lug toms - they're decent to tune - large sweet spot.

I've got 4 coats Tung Oil & 3 coats Clear Gloss Polyurethane on the drum as of today. I've found all the parts but they're in the mail. I put it together for a test run today with the one hoop (reso) I have..........Yes - I will be going NTL finish for now. I'm very happy with the outcome.........the wood is good.

Six lug snares are interesting to tune and play. You can only tension them so far before they just won't tighten anymore. I have two 13 inch six luggers that I use on a regular basis. One wood, and one steel.

Have fun!

Attachments

• LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (7).JPG
    LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (7).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 631
  • LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (9).JPG
    LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (9).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 625
  • LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (6).JPG
    LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (6).JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 634
  • LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (8).JPG
    LG TRIAL APR5.JPG (8).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 617
  • LG TRIAL APR5.JPG.JPG
    LG TRIAL APR5.JPG.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 623

Have fun!

Looks like a die-cast hoop; I think that die-cast hoops will allow for slightly tighter tuning, although not as tight as an 8-lugger.

Looks very nice! Did you sand the shell before applying the oil and lacquer?

Sand? Oh ya.......take a look at the photos at the thread start. The drum was "factory" with die-cast hoops. I was going to re-wrap it with Red Sparkle. But, when I removed the glue (I used furniture stripper to take most of it off) the wood looked pretty good. I sanded and decided to give it a go with a natural finish. Ray Ayotte gave me some tips in that regard. I like the look as it is but I can still wrap it later if I want. I've found all the parts I need for the restore.........the other hoop, strainer (hard to find both these items & not cheap!) and a few t-rods are in the mail......I'm told.

Thanks for your comments,

Gary

Looks like a die-cast hoop; I think that die-cast hoops will allow for slightly tighter tuning, although not as tight as an 8-lugger.

Looks very nice! Did you sand the shell before applying the oil and lacquer?

The 6 lug as of yesterday........still waiting for the Renown Throw to arrive.

I went for a reflective finish on the inside = Silver Sealer (the secret stuff) with a coat of Poly Clear Gloss & the outside is 4 coats Tung Oil 3 coats Poly C/G Lacquer.

Attachments

• SHINYBADGE1 (Large).JPG
    SHINYBADGE1 (Large).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 539
  • SHINYKEY2 (Large).JPG
    SHINYKEY2 (Large).JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_5863 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5863 (Large).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
That snare looks sooooo beautiful :] Be proud of it man!

Back