Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New guy here...

Hey Chris, Welcome.

I also play quads in a high school band. I wish I could be #1 in California...

Just wondering, Are you thinking about trying out for a DCI corps? I was thinking about trying out on snare, but I probably have no chance. Anyway, keep on drummin and again, welcome to the forum.

Rob

Re: Introduce Yourself

I figured this was as good a first post as any....

Real Name? Gregg
Age? 29
How long been playing? about 16 years
Origin of user name? 'you play jazz, Gregg?'
Top 5 drummers? 5 is not enough...
Make of drumkit? Gretsch
Make of cymbals? Paiste
Where do you practice? My home studio (where I also teach)
Are you in a band/s? many, including my own Aiséiri Quintet
Covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? Jazz, Avant Garde, etc.
Favorite take out food? Coffee
Country? Canada
One really odd fact about yourself? I love dogs and dogs love me. They will attempt to cross the street or turn around to say 'hello' as soon as they see me. Seriously.
How did you start drumming? The pots and pans bit-playing along to my grandfathers Ellington and Basie records.

Last edited:

Didn't even know this forum was here..... Wierd...

real name? John
age? 15
how long been playing? Just under a year
origin of user name? I drum and my name is John
top 5 drummers? Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Buddy Miles, Bonzo, Chad Wackerman
make of drumkit? PDP represent! (Only thing I could afford...)
make of cymbal? Zildjian Crash and Rides, Wuhan China, and I'm working on more
where do you practice? In my garage(By myself), and when I'm jammin, I play at the guitarest's house.
are you in a band/s? I'm in one band called, The Jam
covers or originals? Both
what style of music? Lots of blues, and some classic rock
favourite take out food? piiiiiiiiiiiiiizza
country?USA
one really odd fact about yourself? Instead of college I want to live in London and play drums my whole life.
how did you start drumming? Three words: Ginger Baker, "Toad"

real name? Cliff Smith
age? 52
how long been playing? 1yr on a kit (8yrs as a snare drummer when I was a teen)
origin of user name? parents
top 6 drummers? Ed Thigpen, Art Blakey, Jack DeJohnette, Ginger Baker, Michael Shrieve, Danny Seraphine
make of drumkit? Yamaha
make of cymbal? Istanbul
where do you practice? Homemade basement studio
are you in a band? No
cover or original? N/A
what style of music? JAZZ
favourite take out food? Chinese
country? Canada
one really odd fact about yourself? I like black and white movies.
how did you start drumming? At age 12 I joined a pipe band and learned to play a Rogers snare. Beautiful instrument I miss it.

Last edited:

real name? Teejay

age? 22

how long been playing? 6 Years

origin of user name? It's my name

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? Weckl, Beauford, Rich, Ulrich, Chad Smith

make of drumkit? I don't have one T.T (i have a B.R Practice pad, and a broken down snare in the basement).

make of cymbal? I wish i had a cymbal

where do you practice? once a week or once every couple weeks at my church

are you in a band/s? nope, i have been before though

covers or originals? original

what style of music? rock, funk, jazz

favourite take out food?

country? canada

one really odd fact about yourself? Odd?

how did you start drumming? My grandfather and many of my uncles were all professional drummers. So i grew interested of course through watching them perform and watching them watch concerts/shows/videos.

real name? Anmol
age? 20

how long been playing? 10 months

origin of user name? anmol.... themole :D

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? Mike Portnoy, Dave Weckl, Carter Beauford, Rod morgenstein, Nick D'Virgilio

make of drumkit? Tama Stagestar

make of cymbal? As of now only paiste 302 hi hats

where do you practice? Bedroom

are you in a band/s? As a guitarist, yes, as a drummer no.

covers or originals? Majority originals

what style of music? Rock(progressive mainly), blues, funk

favourite take out food? Indian

country? India

one really odd fact about yourself? Odd? lots but id rather not mention

how did you start drumming? Heard mike portnoy on Lines in the sand by dreamtheater around 2 years back and fell in love with drums ever since.

real name? Michael
age? 25

how long been playing? 10 years

origin of user name? my friends call me "batmike"

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? Dany Carey, Carter beauford, Thomas Haake, Dirk Verbeureun, Donati.
make of drumkit? Sonor Delite

make of cymbal? Paiste

where do you practice? studio

are you in a band/s? yes

covers or originals? originals

what style of music? métal ( many influence like Meshuggah, Tool, Scarve etc..)

favourite take out food? french

country? France

how did you start drumming? My grand father was a musician.

real name? James Hamilton

age? 25

how long been playing? 11 years

origin of user name? It's the title of one of my (many) bands songs

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? Dave Grohl, Neil Peart, Jimmy Chamberlain, John McIntyre, Squarepusher

make of drumkit? Sonor Custom (though currently saving for a DW..)

make of cymbal? Sabian

where do you practice? Studio

are you in a band/s? Several, one covers band which earns me most of my living

covers or originals? Mostly original

what style of music? Main bands are Synth-Rock-Prog-Disco and Hardcore/Math-Rock

country? Scotland

one really odd fact about yourself? I own a pair of Courtney Loves panties which she gave me.

how did you start drumming? I saw Nirvana on TV at the 1992 MTV music video awards playing 'Lithium' and watched Dave Grohl, all the while thinking "Oh My God I know what I want to do with my life.." A while later my older brother started a band and needed a drummer, and after much begging and pestering they let me join even though i'd never played drums in my life. The singer used some of his student loan to buy a beat-up 7th or 8th hand Ludwig kit for £100, we set up in our garage and they said "ok, we've got ten songs and our first gig is in three weeks, get learning.."

real name? Richard Cleaver
age? 18

how long been playing? 11 Years

origin of user name? Me + Band name

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, Lars, Tony Royster Jr, Paul Martin

make of drumkit? Drum Workshop

make of cymbals? Paiste

where do you practice? Bedroom (practice pad) and acasionally loft on my old Yamaha Kit

are you in a band/s? Yes Paradox Visit @ www.paradoxband.co.uk .

covers or originals? Booth

what style of music? Rock, blues, funk, Punk, Metal, Ska

country? England

one really odd fact about yourself? I am me

how did you start drumming? My dad is a musician and bought me an old 1970's Sonar kit to learn on then started lessons at the age of 7 at the age of 9 i was giggin in a band in pubs for money (beat a paper round)

real name? Anthony Schillaci
age? 21

how long been playing? hmm.... 3 + 4 = 7.. and 6 years on the kit

origin of user name? Curse of Monkey Island LucasArts PC Adventure Game OMGZ

top 5 drummers (or the most influential to me anyways)? influential.. pat wilson(weezer), jimmy vela(recover), brian davis(middlefinger), dave witte, and... that one guy

make of drumkit? oh gosh.. ludwig vistalite field snare "rack tom," pork pie snare, Houston Percussion custom bass drum.. that is paid for but still being built.

make of cymbals? zildjian and sabian

where do you practice? bedroom, my leg, my friend's shoulder, and in my car when i deliver pizza (eighths on the right hand baby!)

are you in a band/s? i was in a ska/metal band called the too-toos.. as the LEAD SINGER! ha... yeah i play around now and then. writing some sad-pop stuff right now.

covers or originals? psssh originals

what style of music? metal, rock, ska, punk, thrash

favourite take out food? chinese

country? republic of texas

one really odd fact about yourself? I am me

how did you start drumming? i played sax in school band (junior high 6th grade), in 7th grade i switched to Bassoon, when i got to high school (9th grade) they said, NO MARCHING BASSOONS OR YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF, so they handed me some mallets and i played in the pit (frontline percussion) in the marching band. we were good! 2nd place in the state of Texas! then i thought one day, it'd be cool to play drums. so i air-drummed for a year and a half before i even played on a kit. first time i played on one was the day i bought it. i already knew how to play (sort of) from air-drumming. so.. yeah.. high school band taught me everything i know.

Hi Everybody!!

I am based in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. I started playing drums at the age of fourteen. In a career spanning over 30 years I have played in numerous professional and semi-professional bands including: THE STEREOS, EXCITER, ALCATRAZ, BITTER SUITE, SUITE REVENGE, and now with Led Zeppelin tribute band ROYAL ORLEANS. I am completely self-taught and my style is influenced by drummers such as John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Ian Paice (Deep Purple), Keith Moon (The Who), and Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix), the "old school" of rock drummers!!

Hi there ... i'm from Kota Kinabalu. It all started 15 years ago when a band was playing 'night birds' and when their drummer was not around i filled in for him and from there on it took off. Play covers mostly and original stuff comes from jamming. I can't read notes but have quite a good pair of ears.

SSF Returns from Brazil.

Hello:

SteveSmithFan here; WOW! 7 months I spent in Rio De Janeiro teaching English. I return. And D.WORLD forum is back.
I have some new Zildjians. All K's from the Constantinople and K Custom line.
Steve Gadd is doing a clinic in 2 days. I'm going!! Zildjian is selling some new prototypes, that are not even out yet, at the clinic.
I recorded a drumsolo in my studio last night. It's in 5. I'll post it in the next month or so. My playing is rusty. So please no harsh criticisims of my solo. I have a handicap of 7 months no practice! I'll buy some Zildjian Prototypes at the Gadd clinic. That should make me sound better!! HAHA!!
I'll tell you about the clinic.

Last edited:

real name? Guillaume Duguay
age? 18
how long been playing? About 3 years
origin of user name? a nick name of mine Gd
top 5 drummers? John Bonham,Bill Ward,Adrian Erlandsson,Igor Cavalera,Nick Mason
make of drumkit? Westbury...(hoping a better one next year)
make of cymbal? Sabian
where do you practice? in my room
are you in a band/s? yeah,S.I.N(Self infected nation)
covers or originals? Boths
what style of music? Rock,Metal,Punk,Oldies,anything good
favourite take out food? Subways
country? Shippagan,New-Brunswick,Canada !
one really odd fact about yourself ? can't stop drumming
how did you start drumming? Buying my own set up and build it

Last edited:

real name? Dave Clifford

age? 41

how long been playing? About 5 years

origin of user name? DTK was to be the stock symbol for the company Datek before it got bought by Ameritrade where I am now. Big Dawg is what people call me cuz of my size and rather loud booming voice and the fact that I manage a number of people.

top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Peter Criss, Artimus Pyle, Bruce Crump, Danny Seraphine

make of drumkit? Tama Granstar

make of cymbal? Zildjian

where do you practice? basement converted into studio

are you in a band? yes, I just started it

Band Name: Sanity Check

covers or originals? covers

what style of music? Classic rock, pop, blues

State and Country? New Jersey, US

DTKBigDawg said:
real name? Dave Clifford

age? 41

top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Peter Criss, Artimus Pyle, Bruce Crump, Danny Seraphine

make of drumkit? Tama Granstar

1) I swear to you, I thought I was the only guy that even knew who Bruce Crump is! I got my "Flirtin with disaster" LP, and thought: that is the most butt-kicking country rock drumming of all time! He got busy on that album.

2) We are almost the same age.

3) Tama granstars, imperialstars and original superstars were very cool kits. I even liked the fiberstars.

Agreed, his work with Moly Hatchett is excellent tho mostly unrecognized.

Good, us 40+ drummers gotta stick together, just wish I found this site sooner.

Yep, I love my Tamas. I started with a TKO set to learn on, then bought my Yamahas and had them for about 3 months when I saw this beautiful black Tama set in the local music store. I instantly fell in love and sold the Yamas to get them. And I'm still in love. Even the wife knows she goes before the Tamas. :)

Nice to meetcha!

Thinshells said:
1) I swear to you, I thought I was the only guy that even knew who Bruce Crump is! I got my "Flirtin with disaster" LP, and thought: that is the most butt-kicking country rock drumming of all time! He got busy on that album.

2) We are almost the same age.

3) Tama granstars, imperialstars and original superstars were very cool kits. I even liked the fiberstars.

How long been playing? 4 years
Origin of user name: my friends made it up
Top 5 drummers: Neil Peart, John Bonham, Thomas Lang, Billy Cobham, gene krupa
Make of drumkit: chester(practicly unknown )
Make of cymbal: ufip
Where do you practice? At Home basically
Are you in a band/s? Yes, thinking hurts
Covers or originals? mostly covers
Style of music: soft rock ,rock ,a bit of jazz, popsongs,ect...
Favourite take out food: chinese
How did you start drumming? i was playing saxofone in the academy and in the casroom next to us was the percussion room .and it sounded pretty well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

real name? ain't tellin, but you can call me Kat
age? 19
how long been playing? haha...not very long, about 4 months, but I also played a little when I was a kid. I just had one very long break
origin of user name? I really don't know, it just came to my head.
top 5 drummers? Sadly the only one I know is Virgil, but I wanna learn about others
make of drumkit? Aww you don't wanna know.... Promax lol
make of cymbal? Ditto, it's a beginners kit.
where do you practice? Garage
are you in a band/s? No, but I have some very talented friends I jam with
covers or originals? Originals, we like to improvise (have an excellent guitarist friend who's been playing for 13 years, he's awesome, and it feels really natural drumming for him)
what style of music? more into the metal side
favourite take out food? KFC
one really odd fact about yourself? I think I talk to my cat more than I do to real people. hahaha!
how did you start drumming? My father drums, and one day at school my teacher pulled a drumkit outta the storage room and taught us kids to play. I was the only one with the coordination to be able to play a basic beat properly, and so I became the class drummer for class shows and that. I stopped when my bro started playing, I didn't want to be compared, and now I have my own kit so yeah... It's the only instrument that feels right to me.

real name- Glyn Merga
age - 33
how long been playing - This time about 9 months - 15 year break played for 5 years before
origin of user name - My name ... I have nothing to hide =D
top 5 drummers - Chad Smith, Taylor Hawkins, Dave Grohl, Tony Hajjar and Brendan Canty
make of drumkit - Mapex
make of cymbal - Zildjian
where do you practice - I have a home studio which has my Roland Electric kit - work and community hall
are you in a band/s - Yes 2
covers or originals - Covers and originals
what style of music - Rock covers, Funk and Jazz
favourite take out food - Chicken drumsticks
country - England
one really odd fact about yourself - I have more money than talent =/
how did you start drumming - I have always tapped rhythms since about 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back