New Promark Forward or Rebound Balance Sticks

newoldie

Silver Member
Has anyone tried either of these new sticks from Promark?
I was at a GC recently and couldn't tell from the forward balance display pair what those sticks did compared to my other sticks.
Is a rebound balance good for lighter playing where you would use the rebound techniques, and the forward good for heavier playing modes?
Or, are these sticks just a new spin on a balance issue that isn't that important? I am not a heavy hitter and use more rebound techniques that just hitting into the drum head so I thought the rebound balance might be of interest.

I'd have to try these again and spend some time with the rebound model to figure out what was different/if it felt different, but for now, am curious to understand more details. The Promark web site didn't explain much and as usual, the guys at GC had little to explain about these sticks, their heads buried in the front desk as they mumbled along.

At least 151 drummers have tried and tested both models ! ;-)
Type "project 151" in Youtube and you will find a lot of video demos, comments, tests and evaluations.

I have just bought the sticks (0,565 diameter) and love them. I prefer Rebound Balance model for pad practicing and v-drums playing, and Forward Balance model (thicker/shorter taper) for acoustic drumset.

The taper of the Rebound Balance 5A seems to me similar to the taper of the Promark nylon tip model (TX5AN), and the Forward Balance seems equivalent (in terms of taper shape) to the TX5AW (Promark 5A standard wood tip model).

thanks, good info, LD.
I'll check out the YouTube videos now and give them another shot at my local GC.

Is a rebound balance good for lighter playing where you would use the rebound techniques, and the forward good for heavier playing modes?

That's about it. I was a tester & definitely preferred the forwards, but that's not surprising to me. The Rebound balances are probably the more unique of the two, though I could also tell the difference between something like my Vater Fusions (short taper) and the forward balances. Your mileage may vary. Great sticks, anyways.

Porter:
Interesting you were a tester (how do you become a tester?)

For faster tempos, would you find the forward balance stick harder to control than the Rebound, does that make a difference in long periods of playing?
Are the Vater Fusions like the Rebounds or FB?

Porter:
Interesting you were a tester (how do you become a tester?)

For faster tempos, would you find the forward balance stick harder to control than the Rebound, does that make a difference in long periods of playing?
Are the Vater Fusions like the Rebounds or FB?

They had a call for applications a couple months ago. I actually didn't finish the application but I got selected anyways, so I guess the system pulls in any incomplete apps as well.

I find the Forwards to be easier to control, actually, because the weight of the stick on the front helps out my stroke. I found that with the Rebounds, I felt like I was sort of pushing air around because of the focus of weight in the butt end- didn't get much torque. That may not be your experience, though.

Fusions are like the Forward Balance in their taper, which is short (giving more mass to the front of the stick). The Rebounds have more of the weight in the back due to the long taper.

Hello All,
Thanks for the interest in the new stick line. We just released a video focused on the Select Balance line which can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PwuOqe0XY&feature=share&list=UU9PVcCVxVXM0rQAyPqLV62Q&index=1

The idea of the two different balance points is to change the function of the stick without changing the fit. When we say fit we are referring to how the diameter of the stick fits in your hand. Once finding the best fit, then you have the options of two different taper lengths to satisfy different playing styles. The forward balance taper is 2 1/4" putting the weight in front of the stick. This will give you more forward throw, and make generating more sound easier. The rebound balance models have 3" taper. This will shift the weight to the back of the stick and accentuate the rebound. This will make lower dynamic and fast playing a little easier. If there are any questions that you have about the line feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected].

Back