Important announcement - Guru Drums

Sad, but completely understandable. You only get so much time...family and personal health are priority.

Now, I’m considering taking the plunge and buying one of your snares while I can.
We can still expect to see you here on the forums?

Heavy change, but you gotta do what's best for you. To that end, I wish you the best moving forward.​

Im glad you're not going the martyr route and have chosen to make the most of your life and your happiness, as well as your families....well played! Thank you for your staggering contribution to the world of drums. Cant wait to see whats in store for you next, please never leave us.

Thank you again for your kind thoughts guys.

I've found the last 24 hours emotionally tough - swinging between relief of clarity through to deep disappointment. Somewhat perversely, this decision leaves me even more busy than usual over the coming months, but I'm hoping for some clear water in my life next year.

We can still expect to see you here on the forums?
Absolutely - I'm here as Andy the drummer, not Andy the drum company owner. A small benefit of being disconnected from the accusation of commercial bias, is I'll be free to comment here again on drum related stuff - haven't done that in a while :)

Just to add some pictorial interest to this thread, here's the last ever batch of raw padauk shells that shipped into the finishing shop today. There's a bigger batch of Walnut + some maple shells inbound in two weeks time. Once all that's finished up - that's me done apart from listing all the remaining instruments for sale (approx 8 kits & 20 snares). 3 Tour kits already sold today! I'm currently one day's work away from shipping the last two built Origin series kits out to a US client, leaving only two remaining.

There - my latest update - still a way too busy boy.

Attachments

• Last Padauk shells 900.jpg
    Last Padauk shells 900.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 451
Sure wish I could spring for one of those tasty sets, before you shut things down. I've still benefited immensely from your Guru and non-Guru related contributions on the forum. Even if it ruffled some feathers. Some of us really soaked them up.

I really dig your Fired Up videos, so keep them coming. :)

I am faced with the twin challenges of trying to convince my wife to agree for us to buy one of the remaining Guru snares, and doing so before they're all spoken for.

I predict Guru will become a coveted mark for collectors in due course.

Andy one of those shells has no rerings.Am I seeing that correctly? If so is that the only segmented drum you made with a straight shell? Are you at liberty to divulge?

I really can't believe it's probably over.

Well shit!!

I get this Andy. I really do.

I do also think Dean should be on the lookout for a business manager to replace you though. He made great drums before you got there. I think it’s a shame to think no one else will be able to steer the ship when you’ve gone. Especially if you can point them in the right direction before you’re done.

Regardless. Rest easy and enjoy a job well done my friend!! It’s a serious testament to your nouse, input and labour!! Take a bow.

I do also think Dean should be on the lookout for a business manager to replace you though. He made great drums before you got there. I think it’s a shame to think no one else will be able to steer the ship when you’ve gone. Especially if you can point them in the right direction before you’re done.
Thank you my inverted friend :)

There's a multitude of reasons why Dean won't be continuing, but I can't go into that here. Additionally, the Guru instruments of today are way different to Dean's originals (& much more challenging too) in almost every possible way. The only way Guru will continue is if someone else takes it over. Dean produces the raw shells - I do absolutely everything else, so it's way way more than just managing the commercial side of the business. If anyone does want to buy & run the business, we have a support / training / key equipment package to enable that to happen. If not, it will cease. It's not about the money - it's never been about the money. My payback is my pride in achieving something almost everyone in the business told me was not possible or viable.

Andy one of those shells has no rerings.Am I seeing that correctly? If so is that the only segmented drum you made with a straight shell? Are you at liberty to divulge?

I really can't believe it's probably over.
We've made straight shell segment before. Honestly, it's an end of batch shell that didn't work out correctly, so it's just with me to see if I can do something interesting with it - I likely will :)

I am faced with the twin challenges of trying to convince my wife to agree for us to buy one of the remaining Guru snares, and doing so before they're all spoken for.

I predict Guru will become a coveted mark for collectors in due course.
The stupid level of interest I've had in the last drums (built by Dean & myself) would certainly point to some seeing value somewhere, but I couldn't possibly predict how we'll be remembered / regarded in future years. Certainly, I'd caution anyone against buying one of our instruments based purely on perceived investment value. If someone likes what we do, & will enjoy it's unique characteristics, that's the only basis I'd advise basing any decision on.

Interestingly, I have emails from a number of very well known players wanting instruments. I didn't expect that.

I really dig your Fired Up videos, so keep them coming. :)
Trust me, you'll still be subjected to that trial ;)

I completely understand why, but it's still sad. You were doing amazing things.
Thank you.

God those are gorgeous even in their raw state.
Aren't they just, but that natural vibrant orange of the raw shell is soon replaced by a deep red / burnt orange.

Andy, All the Best with whatever you choose is right for you and yours.

The stupid level of interest I've had in the last drums (built by Dean & myself) would certainly point to some seeing value somewhere, but I couldn't possibly predict how we'll be remembered / regarded in future years. Certainly, I'd caution anyone against buying one of our instruments based purely on perceived investment value. If someone likes what we do, & will enjoy it's unique characteristics, that's the only basis I'd advise basing any decision on.

Trust me, I've always *wanted* one, because they're spiffy instruments (not because they're investments, though they are that too)... it just didn't occur to me that availability might sunset this abruptly.

I'm thinking the left kidney can pay for it. It hasn't been pulling its weight lately.

Andy,

This is really big news. If I make it all about me, there's a weird mixture of feeling very sad about the loss whilst also very fortunate to own and play your drums.

Of course, it's not about me and it's from that space that I understand you've made a decision that is best for you and the people most important to you in life. And, I'm happy that once again, we'll have full access to your knowledge and experience here on the forum.

Finally, I want to acknowledge the inspiration I experience "watching" you respond to the changes life has brought your way. Interesting, but it gets me feeling a bit better equipped to deal my own life challenges. I thank you for that my friend and raise a toast. Here's to all of us engaging with life on our own terms.

Jason

Attachments

• abceeb_a3b522b0ed94400db637235330182a2e~mv2.jpg
    abceeb_a3b522b0ed94400db637235330182a2e~mv2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 379
  • Santos 5 14x7 front 1000.jpg
    Santos 5 14x7 front 1000.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 384
Andy,

You should be exceptionally proud of the work you have done and what you have accomplished with Guru. You have already lived the dream and the future is still open. I wish you the best!

Barry

It looks like your priorities are right where they should be. :)

Finally, I want to acknowledge the inspiration I experience "watching" you respond to the changes life has brought your way. Interesting, but it gets me feeling a bit better equipped to deal my own life challenges. I thank you for that my friend and raise a toast. Here's to all of us engaging with life on our own terms.

Jason
Thank you for your kind words Jason, & it pleases greatly you continue to enjoy your drums.

I'm a stoic individual by nature, but I also recognise not everyone is wired that way. My belligerent attitude to heath adversity is my way of dealing with it, but everyone must find their own journey support structure.

I'm thinking the left kidney can pay for it. It hasn't been pulling its weight lately.
Exactly - rid yourself of that freeloader!

Andy, All the Best with whatever you choose is right for you and yours.
Thanks Diddle ;)

Andy,

You should be exceptionally proud of the work you have done and what you have accomplished with Guru. You have already lived the dream and the future is still open. I wish you the best!

Barry
Thank you Barry, but I can assure you, it's far from the dream you might think it is. It's a breaker of better men than me.

It looks like your priorities are right where they should be. :)
There comes a time & a place where letting go is the right move, even though it really sticks in your gut :(

Take care of yourself and make sure you have plenty of time to play and actually enjoy your beautiful drums!
More playing is the plan - be prepared for blatant band whoring of the most distasteful kind :)

Best of luck and good health. Much deserved.
Thank you :)

Ok, here's some pictures of the very last client commission Origin series build I finished up today. Absolutely magnificent instruments, & brought a tear to my eye. These shipping to the USA on Monday. 400+ man hours of crafting in these, & a lifetime of acquired knowledge.

Attachments

• Origin pair side 900.jpg
    Origin pair side 900.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Origin pair front 900.jpg
    Origin pair front 900.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 358
  • Walnut Origin close 900.jpg
    Walnut Origin close 900.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 352
Back