Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Awaiting the unboxing of Keiths new Gretsch kit. Teased on Twitter

Attachments

• 6352AC39-FC93-4D0D-A281-19FCAEE05DDC.jpeg
    6352AC39-FC93-4D0D-A281-19FCAEE05DDC.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 737
Very nice !

3 bass drums for the same kit is quite a luxury. Well-deserved in this case !

At the other end of the spectrum, there is this publicity for either 3M or Uline with all the tape on the heads : https://youtu.be/_ZIGj5-FQAA

Great sounding drums, let them sing.

Awaiting the unboxing of Keiths new Gretsch kit. Teased on Twitter

Mike Johnston is also unboxing a new kit today according to his social media. Antique maple USA customs I think.

Keith has been playing Brooklyns so Im thinking this new set will be Brooklyns too?

wtf is the point of getting a beautiful Gretsch kit then suffocating it with tape and making them sound like cardboard boxes ?

seriously

you could have gone on Craigslist and bought a 1980s composite Tama Swingstar for $60 and gotten the exact same sound

moronic

Yea, that is really weird... Right out of the box on a video supposedly showing the new drums you're going to choke the life from them, like, completely? That's not even just a bit of damping.

I get it that in studio sometimes people are going for that sound and use tape to do so, but in this situation of unboxing and showcasing it's sort of mind-boggling.

That unboxing promo is a good marketing idea.

There seems to be more excitement for the Broadkasters than the USA customs these days, what do you all make of that trend ?

you could have gone on Craigslist and bought a 1980s composite Tama Swingstar for $60 and gotten the exact same sound

moronic

Ahhhh.....NO....

Even with twice that tape the Tamas wouldn't sound THAT bad!

😜

That unboxing promo is a good marketing idea.

There seems to be more excitement for the Broadkasters than the USA customs these days, what do you all make of that trend ?

I had a new Broadcaster kit and sold them them so that I could buy a USA Custom kit. I loved the Broadkaster bass drum and snare drum, but much prefer the 'singing' beautiful tone of the USA toms. They are just right. I found the Broadkaster toms to have much shorter notes....the bearing edges are really rounded over. For me, the BK's go too far in the vintage direction.

As luck would have it, after I bought my 12/14/18 USA kit in Millennium Curly Maple from Steve Maxwells, I found a great used 20" Broadkaster satin maple bass drum - and it is an awesome option for this kit.

You know, as much as I dearly love Ash Soan's playing , I have to say, his tone is very much along the lines of that same ^^^ super muffled sound. I don't get it.
Keith Carlock's tone and is the literal opposite of that. He will play whatever is in those boxes wide open, no muffling, usually with single ply heads. It's awesome.

Evilg99, I believe I just bought your Broadkaster kit from Dave's in Ottawa.

No way! Congrats! Yes, that was my kit for sure...I have been having mixed feelings about selling them...not that I find the USA drums lacking in any way, it's just that I'm turning into an absolute Gretsch junkie. I want them ALL.

Just so you know a little more history of those drums....I bought them from Chicago Music Exchange...they purchased them directly from Gretsch after the NAMM 2016 show....at 3:10 into this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89jI-zJJHg

Enjoy the drums!

Neal

. Typical flaw in most demos is 99% of it is snare/kick/cymbals.

You’d think the players would realize that problem from watching demos and then avoid the same mistake, but....I guess they’re just addicted to showing off their chops. Or maybe they think that the intended audience for the demo isn’t smart enough to know better? I don’t know, but I’ve definitely noticed the same thing.

Evil99 I PMed you.

GroovE, when I go 6 feet down, they're coming along for the ride.

I have been searching for the Carlock unboxing on youtube, but no joy. What site is it on, or has it even happened yet ?

Just so you know a little more history of those drums....I bought them from Chicago Music Exchange...they purchased them directly from Gretsch after the NAMM 2016 show....at 3:10 into this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89jI-zJJHg

Turns out I hit those toms a few times at 2016 NAMM. I bet if you looked super closely at the rack tom head when you first got it, you would have seen a tiny little stick mark from me :)

I do like Gretsch's "unboxing" campaign. Although I think the only one I saw where the guy wasn't all that excited about it was Steve Ferrone. He was cool, but it wasn't the Vinnie Colaiuta geeking-out cool. Steve is too cool. He even says he has somebody else tune his drums, and he just likes to play, so I can see him thinking, "My tech has to get these first to make them playable".

But then again, his video was made before Tom Petty passed. I wonder what Steve's doing now'?

Evil99

GroovE, when I go 6 feet down, they're coming along for the ride.

And leave your estate to manage this pharaonic fantasy ?

Those poor grieving souls.

I'll take over their burden when the time comes. Would you be so kind to advise 30 days prior for my convenience? I am trying to be reasonable here.

:-/

Back