Gavin Harrison here!

I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Cheers!

Hi Citizen Insane,

I noticed you seem to really like those puresound 8 strands on your snares. How do you think they improve the sound and sensitivity? How do they compare to the standard 20/16 strands.

I love them. I guess you'd have to try it to see what they're really like. I've always wanted articulation from a snare - there's little point playing intricate detail if the snare is 'baggy' and it comes out like a blur of white noise - plus I like a certain 'fatness' to my snare sound. After many years of experimenting I started to cut off the outside snares until I hit the 8 strand thing. It doesn't work on every single drum I've got - but 85% of them improved with those modified 8 strand snares. I've got to say that most of my drums sounded better anyway with Puresound snares (even before I cut them) - basically because they are such high quality.

Hi Kalma,

Do you think it's advisable for everyone (maybe me)? I don't really like long sustain, too.
Does a thicker shell also make the sound lower?

There are many factors involved and Angelo's post is very informative. It really comes down to you in the end and the sound that you want to make. Sonor offer 4 shell thicknesses and I felt like I wanted to try to use 3 of them in my newest kit. So far I'm very happy with it.

Hi DTrocks,

I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Yes - we've finished the first rehearsal period which went very well. The rehearsals were recorded but I don't know if they'll ever be released. The concerts are in August. Check dgmlive.com for date announcements.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Terry, how are you?

I have a question about a fill in the same Vid, the fills happen between 2:47 and 2:48 coming off the Toms onto the Snare, could you shed some light on whats happening here please?

Hope you're well,

Kev

Hey Kev,

Here's an attempt at that fill. The toms are a slight bit unclear, but this is how I heard it.

Terry

Attachments

• Gavin Fill 2.jpg
    Gavin Fill 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7,936
Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

I've been listening to some of Porcupine Tree's older stuff lately, and I've been thinking... When you have to play a song live that was from before "In Absentia", do you have your own way of playing them or do you mimic the records? Or even if Porcupine Tree doesn't play pre-2002 music anymore live (do yall?), would you come up with your part or follow the recording?

Thanks!
~Joe

Hi Joe P,
regarding the older PT pieces. I did learn quite a few - and paid attention to the parts that the previous drummer composed. I based my part on his but didn't copy it exactly, plus the more we played those tunes live the more my parts mutated into other things...but that's also true of the parts that I originally recorded on the newer PT albums. They kind of evolve of time.

Thanks once again to Terry B for some great transcription work.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just letting you know that i'm looking foward to seeing you tomorrow night at the Enmore.
You came at pretty much the worst time ever though.... there's been light showers for 8 days straight... that's a record that hasn't been broken here in about 15 years. Hope you have fun, i know i will. Can't wait!!!!

Hi Gavin,
Just got home after seeing PT at the Melbourne show. It would have to be one of the best gigs I have ever seen. For a band that has such a history of great albums it is amazing to see that the band live takes everything to a higher level. Your drum sound was outstanding and probably one of the best around that I have heard. It was great to see J. W. with the band in Australia. He seems to be an important part of the band now. Is he a permanent member now? Thanks for all the interest you take in the drumming community. It is rare to see someone with such talent share their knowledge so willingly with the less informed. (speaking for myself).
Looking forward to the next PT tour of OZ.
Regards

Baz

Hi Gavin,

I've been listening to you for a long time now since before you joined PT. I've always been a rudimental percussionist mostly focusing on latin percussion. I've recently started playing drumset and I just love your style and always have. I was wondering if there is anywhere that the studio version on youtube of futile is notated. That is the most incredible writing I've seen for a song and I'd love to learn every little bit. I've got all of your books and dvd's and study them daily but I'm interested in learning some of the more complex fills that you don't really go over in your stuff. Also, I was wondering if PT is going to be coming to Denver again this summer? Thanks Gavin!! Keep up the great playing and teaching!

Marc

Angelo, thanx a tonne. It's difficult to get a pair of Lonfboards in this part of the world, but luckily enough, I have a student who's been gifted one recently. Will try. I'm torn between Elims, ICs and now, the Longboards, really.

Hi cantstandyourfunk
thanks a lot
Yes it's difficult to get a pair of Axis Longboards in Italy don't be exist. But,it is a eccellent pedal, for me is best drum pedal. Longboards is vary fast pedal increases leverage and power by allowing the entire leg (calf and knee) to be powerfully expressed with the utilization of heel-toe strokes.
http://www.axispercussion.com/images/A-L2_600.jpg
http://www.axispercussion.com/images/v_drive_600.jpg
Regards
Angelo

Hi Gaven, I just wanted to relate that a good member on the Sonor Forum made an SQ2 opposite to yours, with thicker toms and thinner floor toms, I believe influenced by Danny Carey. I have a Sonor Signature Bubinga Heavy 12mm Beech kit with a final floor tom is a 15" Signature. I ended up getting a 16" Phonics Plus 9mm Beech for the last floor tom as I waited over 2 years for the last Signature and it never showed up so I took a hint from the forum member and went thinner. I found that the thinner floor tom was a good way to go as opposed to thicker especially as I finished my kit for $150, then a 16 Signature did show up and went for $800, so I was glad I got the Phonic. I had the red wrap taken off and Bubinga veneer put in and out and I was very happy.

I got a Designer Five Star Ebony after hearing you play at the Montreal Drum Festivale two years back now. I wonder how much companies realize how many drums they sell when they are on stage at a Drum Festivale and comparisons can be made by all? I bought that kit because of hearing yours that day. I remember the Pearl Drummers Forum talk post show and everyone agreed hands down that your kit and in particular your floor toms were the best drums of the day, which was the last position, after Todd Sucherman and his sweet Pearl Kit. That was a big notch in the Sonor belt on the Pearl Forum. I see your point about floor toms and PA, You ovbiously know what your talking about because your floor toms were just sick that day. I had a thick kit but I wanted a thin shell after listening to yours.

My Ebony kit was played by Steve Smith and Thomas Lang before I got it. It came with Attack 2ply clear heads and they are the most incredible heads on Designers. I have pinstripes on the Signatures and look forward to putting Attack 2ply clear on them. Since I told the Sonor forum members that, several have gone that route on SQ2 and others kits like S Classix, etc and everyone just loves them. Have you ever tried these heads on your Sonors?

I will always remember that day, meeting you and your Sonors. Your a wonderful musician for Sonor to have and they are indeed the most incredible drums,Thick (12mm Beech) or Thin (Designers 6.2mm, Delites 4.5mm). I really enjoyed your first DVD and have used those principles effectively since. Thanks.

Last edited:
What kind of cymbal is this? ( The one i've marked with a red colour)

Attachments

• Gavin harrison Cymbal.PNG
    Gavin harrison Cymbal.PNG
    277.4 KB · Views: 16,903
Hi MBruyere,

I was wondering if PT is going to be coming to Denver again this summer?

No plans to - sorry.

Hi junglelord,

Have you ever tried these (Attack 2ply clear) heads on your Sonors?

No I haven't. I'm happy with the Remo Coated Emperors at the moment.

Hi DTrocks,
that cymbal was a Zildjian 12" EFX Piggyback china. I don't think they make it anymore.

cheers
Gavin

Back