Isolation headphones for E-kits

Km6543

I play an E-kit and am looking for a good pair of isolation headphones. I realize there are already some threads on this topic, but my situation is unique. The headphones I currently have do not block out the sound of the rubber pads, so it is hard to hear the drum sounds without turning the volume way up (which I never do).

So I decided to try some of the Vic Firth isolation headphones, and I really liked the isolation effect. However it seemed to me there were too many highs and not enough lows in the sound, making the cymbals overpowering. Since I do a lot of recording, I can't simply turn the cymbal volume down, as they would be too quiet on the recording.

Many people suggest the Ultraphones, but those are way out of my budget range at the moment. I was thinking of giving the KAT Percussion KTUI26 model a try. Any thoughts on these headphones, or any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've honestly found any decent pair of in-ear headphones does a great job of blocking out kit noise (then again I have mesh heads and Triggera bass drum triggers which greatly reduce the amount of noise in the first place).
Any over-ear headphones (like the ones you've linked) simply won't do the job in my experience.

I used to use some of the active noise-cancelling phones and they did a great job of cutting out the pad noise.

I've honestly found any decent pair of in-ear headphones does a great job of blocking out kit noise (then again I have mesh heads and Triggera bass drum triggers which greatly reduce the amount of noise in the first place).
Any over-ear headphones (like the ones you've linked) simply won't do the job in my experience.

Well, take a look at the GK Ultraphones. I bought a pair eleven years ago and those are awesome. It's basically the Sony MDR-7506 headphones installed into Peltor shooter's ear muffs. I've used them to mix a band front of house while I was sitting right behind the band on stage. They're awesome and well-worth the money.

I used to use some of the active noise-cancelling phones and they did a great job of cutting out the pad noise.

That's interesting- I was under the impression that noise cancelling headphones were great for continuous, background noise (eg for people who can't sleep on planes) but not so much for attenuated, intermittent noise (like hitting pads would be).
They're not the cheapest option either but maybe it's worth it if they do as good a job as you say?

That's interesting- I was under the impression that noise cancelling headphones were great for continuous, background noise (eg for people who can't sleep on planes) but not so much for attenuated, intermittent noise (like hitting pads would be).
They're not the cheapest option either but maybe it's worth it if they do as good a job as you say?

You are correct. I have tried several pairs of noise-canceling phones and frequently use a pair of $300 Bose cans. They are pretty good at canceling the constant drone of an airplane engine (that's why I bought them, I used to travel a lot), however, you could pretty easily carry on a conversation with someone while wearing them. Conversely, I have a pair of Etymotic Research earphone/plugs like these (https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-filter.aspx) that are the best for isolation. With these you can switch from silicone-type plugs to foam-type plugs. With the foam plugs in, it is like wearing solid earplugs, very quiet, much much more so than any active electronic noise-canceling phones. These were about $80 when I bought them, about 10 years ago. For isolation, the Etymotics are far superior, I just don't like sticking things in my ear.

You are correct. I have tried several pairs of noise-canceling phones and frequently use a pair of $300 Bose cans. They are pretty good at canceling the constant drone of an airplane engine (that's why I bought them, I used to travel a lot), however, you could pretty easily carry on a conversation with someone while wearing them. Conversely, I have a pair of Etymotic Research earphone/plugs like these (https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-filter.aspx) that are the best for isolation. With these you can switch from silicone-type plugs to foam-type plugs. With the foam plugs in, it is like wearing solid earplugs, very quiet, much much more so than any active electronic noise-canceling phones. These were about $80 when I bought them, about 10 years ago. For isolation, the Etymotics are far superior, I just don't like sticking things in my ear.

Thanks for the link on the Etymotics (never even heard of them before).
They seem to be headphones with the "Hearos"- type earplug on the end (which are far superior to the average in-ear plugs in my experience).

I love my Ultraphones, but as a (recently former) V-drums owner, and still current user, I found that my $100 Sony 7506 phones sufficiently blocked the pad noise, and they sound great (I use them at home.) BTW, the Ultraphones use the same Sony drivers, which explains why I enjoy using them on tour and in the studio. Anyway, I think you'll find Sony will do the job, and you'll save over 50% vs the Ultraphones.

Haven't tried the KAT phones yet, I think they're pretty new. KAT has always made top-notch products, so I'd say they're worth auditioning.

Bermuda

Mine are cheap folding travel ones from sharper image, and they do indeed make a huge difference. Also, keep in mind that we're only talking about a small short noise from hitting an electronic pad, not full kit noise. When the cancelling is on, I can use much lower volume levels and still hear everything.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's...................they sound great and block out most of the "noise"

I love my Ultraphones, but as a (recently former) V-drums owner, and still current user, I found that my $100 Sony 7506 phones sufficiently blocked the pad noise, and they sound great (I use them at home.) BTW, the Ultraphones use the same Sony drivers, which explains why I enjoy using them on tour and in the studio. Anyway, I think you'll find Sony will do the job, and you'll save over 50% vs the Ultraphones.

Haven't tried the KAT phones yet, I think they're pretty new. KAT has always made top-notch products, so I'd say they're worth auditioning.

Bermuda

See? Yo don't have to believe just me ;)

Bermuda

Thanks for the response. What kind of V-drums do you use? Do they have mesh heads or hard rubber heads?

I've used both rubber pads and mesh pads for years with many different headphones. It seems that any decent around-the-ear headphone will cancel noise, some are just a little better than others. I've used Koss Pro 4 (waaay back when), Sennheiser 280, Ultrasone 550 and most recently Audio Technica ATH50. The Sennheisers felt rather like a clamp. The Ultrasones sounded very nice, especially on the upper end but the bass was a little shy for edrum monitoring and they tended to have the least isolation. The Audio Technicas seem to be the best so far and they're very comfortable.

I've used the extreme isolation headphones. They don't isolate as much as ultraphones but they're much cheaper.

What module do you have I use the Vic firth headphones and think there fine no problem with the lows.

What module do you have I use the Vic firth headphones and think there fine no problem with the lows.

Just the regular isolation ones they sell. I didn't particularly care for the sound quality.

I end up getting a pair of KAT headphones and well, so far so good!

Just the regular isolation ones they sell. I didn't particularly care for the sound quality.

I end up getting a pair of KAT headphones and well, so far so good!

When I said module I meant what's producing the sounds going to the headphones?

Back