Boxing

drummingman

Gold Member
Does anybody here box or do any kind of martial art? If so why do you box or do the kind of martial art you do?

Also, how does this effect your drumming?

I just started reading this great book called "Championship Street Fighting". It's all about using boxing as a martial art. It fills in the holes to that boxing doesn't cover.

A couple of light years ago. Didn't fight, but trained and sparred with boxers/kick boxers to maintain fitness. Whilst I haven't been in a boxing gym in ages, I've still used a few of the training techniques like skipping, circuits and interval training over the years whenever my bad living has got too much and I feel the need to work on my cardio fitness levels again......currently in such a stage at the moment......who knows, now that I've given up the smokes, this time round I may even keep it up!! :)

It's had no effect on my drumming per se, other than when I feel fit, I feel better. One concern I did used to have was hurting my wrists on a heavy bag though......I've always tried to keep them supple for drumming. Strapping them helps and whilst nothing ever came of it, it was certainly a worry I had in the back of my mind for some reason.

I also worry about my wrists with doing boxing. Being that I also have tendonitis in both wrists it is a concern when it comes to my drumming. The last thing I want to do is mess up my wrists to where it would hurt my drumming career. But I do have a passion for self defense.

It would be awesome to have my career as a full time drummer and when I'm not on the road teach self defense (once I'm good enough to teach).

been doing MMA for the last 9-10 years. when i was training 3 days a week...massive endurance boost. but noticed i still needed to practice to keep the speed up. as in i could feel like i could play for days (cardio) but chops still needed more work.

some cons were injuries. i remember gigs the day of (point fighting) tournaments where i had fresh or nagging injuries...or i was pretty exhausted after grappling all day. still i was ok enough to never miss a gig. even 1 knee injury never too bad to miss anything. also had to be careful about certain submission techs like "goose necking" the wrist. just great guys / sensei so no worries about noobies injuring you.

RE boxing, just make sure you have very very good tech & definitely wear gloves the days you gig. dont overdo it.

i dont compete much any more...and break up the MMA w/ yoga.

I went crazy over boxing a few years back and got to the point where I was going to fly to Oz to have my first pro fight, my passport got through two days after the fight, life got busy so I canned it. If anything I got mental toughness out of it. I was trying out for the army too at the time, and we ended up with an ex SAS guy that would take us through our paces which made boxing fitness look like blobbing on the couch, what really changed my life was the mental drive. It gave me a huge expansion on my capacity to just keep on keeping on no matter what. Running stairs for a few hours, making sure the only reason you physically can't keep going is because you can't, not because you don't want to...

I miss it, been thinking about getting back into it but I got fat and lazy after boxing. Canned the cardio, pumped weights, bulked about 5 kg's and got 10kg's chubbier when I moved to South Africa. Went from 75 to 89 in about 6 months, part of that was newly married life though.

In conclusion, it's awesome. Do it, but only if you're committed (Spending your own time kind of commited, every day, not just busting your ass because a coach is saying so). I sparred a lot of people who were boxing because of how they thought it made them look, and it never did them well... I think it humbles you too, and I haven't met many people who don't need that. Especially me lol.

I think my mindset affects my drumming more than the physical ability I get out of something, so that's what I got anyways.

Been doing a Kung-fu based style for about a year and a half now. Not MMA but has elements of wing-chun, kick-boxing, jujitsu and good old fashioned boxing as well.
Not looking to become a world class fighter or anything, just a great way to learn self defence and fitness - still loving it!

Try some tai chi if you want relaxed martial arts with no harm to your wrists.

And Anon nicked her statement from Big Bang Theory's Sheldon : )

Of course I could be wrong about that....

I used to train in boxing a few times a week. That definitely took care of my stamina problems. One time, however, I went straight to a rehearsal right after hitting the gym, and I couldn't feel my hands. They were so sore, I couldn't fully close it to make a fist. Plus, my muscles would spasm every now and then, so my fingers would pop the snare at totally weird moments. That's one of the dumbest things I ever did.

If you're going to do boxing, make sure you're punching correctly. A badly angled punch can sprain your wrist, or worse.

When I was in the Army I boxed. Besides that being Asian it was mandatory I practice martial arts. Started with Karate and then moved to Tai Chi, Kung Fu and Shuai jiao (Chinese Wrestling). The absolute best shape I was ever in was when I boxed in the Army. We had a very demanding fitness program that was mixed with normal Infantry fitness.

After I stopped fighting I got into distance running. The first time I left the Army I got into weight lifting. I got really big. I went back in the Army and then tried out for cool stuff and realized I needed the endurance side. Started the cross fit and another insane routine and got really happy where I was. About that time I started serious drumming again.

I don't think any of it affected my drumming. These days I just do cross fit, weights and running. Sometimes I get sore but thats it. Oh yeah to be clear I was in and out the Army a couple times.

Conceptually they're the same.

I never did any tournaments.

Injuries can happen at practice, but it's extremely rare. A lot less lightly than in many other sports IMO.

Sore, exhausted, some slight bruising. Offcourse you might end up sparring with an idiot trying to prove himself/herself, but the coach will usually watch out for that and let them know before you have to. Going at it to hard is the same playing the drums fast and sloppy. Most sparring we did we called out 50-80% intensity. Going all out was a minute or two here and there.

Does anybody here box or do any kind of martial art? If so why do you box or do the kind of martial art you do?

Also, how does this effect your drumming?

I just started reading this great book called "Championship Street Fighting". It's all about using boxing as a martial art. It fills in the holes to that boxing doesn't cover.

I was searching this blog, but couldn't find.. please send here kink... Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Back