Simon Phillips

Re: Oh dear, what happened to Simon Phillips / TOTO ???

There are clear rules: 95% of this Saturday-Night public never heard of Toto. So they take their hugest hit (wish of the TV) and combines it with something new (wish of the band).

For Simon: he can only say Tama - if there is a kit...but only two toms of course...he can be happy. Normally they take the DW set and put then a TAMA sign on the Bassdrum.

Yes, Santana surprised me there at "Wetten Dass" really: They played live.....

Bernhard

Hush up Stu. We need to drag you to a concert one of these days.

Stu_Strib said:
No big secret that Toto hasn't been very good since about 1984 ;-)

I agree totally with Bernhard: Many people don`t know Toto, I can notice this every day...
and: I don`t wanna say something against 'Wetten dass...' , there are many stars but it isn`t such a huge show...for Toto, they are really tired of the tour 'falling in between' and yeah: It is mostly the decision of the show to let them play with playback...so I don`t really annoy about that...

Karl

Well, I don't think they're tired OF the tour but they're tired AFTER the first leg of the tour. Usually, when Toto do these TV shows, they want the band to play Rosanna, Africa Or Hold The Line or whatever. TOTO of course do NOT want that. That's the last thing they want! People usually only knows these 3 songs but if they look a bit more in to it, they'll see that TOTO is SO much more. They're jazzy, heavy, progressive and everything in between!

Lol, I'm reminded of that phrase I taught to Stu (I think) recently:

TOTO are big in Europe. No escaping it.

Most of my pleasure in watching and listening to old TOTO is derived from Jeff's and Luke's playing. Some of the songs are cool, but really, nothing I'm ever going to play to my mates and say "Isn't this just an amazing song?". TOTO have been a cheesy dad-rock band for a long long time, but now one can't even enjoy them under the cover of knowing irony. I agree with Smoggrocks: they are irrelevant today. Personally, I wish they'd disbanded after Jeff died. Jeff was too intergral to the band, no one could have followed him, and certainly not Simon blooming Phillips.

The majority of the tunes were written by Paich, Lukather and whatever lead singer they had at the time. A few tunes were co-written by Porcaro but not many. I'm glad Lukather kept the band together. They're still putting out some good records.

Womble said:
Personally, I wish they'd disbanded after Jeff died. Jeff was too intergral to the band, no one could have followed him, and certainly not Simon blooming Phillips.

mlehnertz said:
Hush up Stu. We need to drag you to a concert one of these days.

Just like the 'new' Journey stuff, I can't stand any of the stuff Toto has put out since about 1984-5. That greatest hits with "Pamela" was jumping the shark for me.

But hey, if you guys like the Toto stuff now, and it takes you back to their first 6 albums out of interest, then great!

If you like Toto, you should check out James Newton Howard and Friends.

Stu_Strib said:
If you like Toto, you should check out James Newton Howard and Friends.

oh, well, now - there ya go!

actually, i didn't even know james newton had friends. he always seems too busy cranking out [insert famous or non-famous movie score here].

man. this thread is starting to give me a ridiculous case of the giggles at work. my colleague is eyeing me oddly -- as though i've got a case of preacher gas.

Well I totally agree that Toto is not relevant today.
I liked them very much when I started with drumming because of Simon Phillips who indeed plays some cool grooves and developed a unique style but yet without having big relevance on the evolution of drumming...
Toto's songs work quite well for teenagers. Today I don't listen anymore to the records.

While bashing on ... lol ... On this tv gig Steve Lukather looked quite drug influenced to me - maybe alcohol or cocaine? - but maybe just the jetlag, hihi

Rockstars never take drugs, do they?

aarbo said:
Rockstars never take drugs, do they?
Lukather have stated himself that he have done drugs but not in the last 15 years. Problaby just the jetlag as this was the last "performance" of the first leg of the World Tour.

Someone already said it, that Toto is irrelevant in the States. Now that I live over seas I see that the Europeans are really the only thing keeping Toto alive. Kinda reminds me of David Hasselhof's huge Germany success, or more currently, how Robbie Williams is huge in Europe but a complete nobody in the States (although he lives in L.A.). There are tons of decent pop acts here in England that won't get a wiff in the States. I never heard of Westlife until I moved here, and I have seen every American Idol since the beginning (Simon Cowell invented Westlife). Same thing with Will Young, the original Pop Idol. Something tells me most Americans will never hear of Shayne either (Xfactor winner, or whoever won it last year).

No offense intended, but it is pretty clear there is a pretty big musical difference across the pond at times. I think the Europeans like Toto, like they like a lot of things that are way behind the times (to an American). Like I said, no offense though, just an observation from living in the UK and my year in Germany.

Stu

I think judging whether music is relevant or irrelevant is meaningless. It all depends on the listener.

15th century Romanian folk music is "irrelevant" today, but that doesn't mean certain people don't still enjoy it.

Stu_Strib said:
Someone already said it, that Toto is irrelevant in the States. Now that I live over seas I see that the Europeans are really the only thing keeping Toto alive. Kinda reminds me of David Hasselhof's huge Germany success, or more currently, how Robbie Williams is huge in Europe but a complete nobody in the States (although he lives in L.A.). There are tons of decent pop acts here in England that won't get a wiff in the States. I never heard of Westlife until I moved here, and I have seen every American Idol since the beginning (Simon Cowell invented Westlife). Same thing with Will Young, the original Pop Idol. Something tells me most Americans will never hear of Shayne either (Xfactor winner, or whoever won it last year).

No offense intended, but it is pretty clear there is a pretty big musical difference across the pond at times. I think the Europeans like Toto, like they like a lot of things that are way behind the times (to an American). Like I said, no offense though, just an observation from living in the UK and my year in Germany.

Stu
It's not just Germany and Europe. They're HUGE in Europe, Japan AND South America. They even sold out the Hammersmith Apollo in England, Stu! =P And the Royal Albert Hall in 2004. It's just the United States that they have a problem reaching out to. I guess It's the same with a band like Journey. They're huge in USA but not as big in Europe.

It's because us Americans have a more sophistated taste in music like Nickelback and The Pussycat Dolls.

Robin said:
It's not just Germany and Europe. They're HUGE in Europe, Japan AND South America. They even sold out the Hammersmith Apollo in England, Stu! =P And the Royal Albert Hall in 2004. It's just the United States that they have a problem reaching out to. I guess It's the same with a band like Journey. They're huge in USA but not as big in Europe.

mlehnertz said:
It's because us Americans have a more sophistated taste in music like Nickelback and The Pussycat Dolls.

I've heard the Pussycat Dolls way more than I care to here in the UK, so it isn't just a US phenomena.

Granted, crappy pop-music is popular world-wide!

As far as their relevency goes, I am speaking strictly of their ability to sell albums in enough volume for anyone in America to really care. So in that case, they are irrelevant. Just like I am an absolute irrelevent drummer.

And I'm certainly not complaining because I get to see them for free, in a small venue, sitting 30' away rather than paying to see them in an arena with 10,000 screaming fans.

Stu_Strib said:
As far as their relevency goes, I am speaking strictly of their ability to sell albums in enough volume for anyone in America to really care. So in that case, they are irrelevant. Just like I am an absolute irrelevent drummer.

aarbo said:
Santana always did, and they played many times in this show!
btw Dennis Chambers' kit is not smaller than Simon Pillips' one...

Not that size matters but, actually Dennis' kit is small in the number of drums then Simon's. Dennis has eight drums on his kit (possibly nine if he is using a second snare) and Simon's has fifteen.

J P Lapp

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39169#post39169

Womble said:
Personally, I wish they'd disbanded after Jeff died. Jeff was too intergral to the band, no one could have followed him, and certainly not Simon blooming Phillips.

Simon Phillips was the first and only choice of the band. The band was three weeks away from a tour when Jeff Porcaro died. Rather then put a bunch of people out (stage crew, sound crew, drivers, etc.) the band carried on. They didn't want someone who was going to try play and sound like Jeff. The choice was made because they knew Simon could hold true to the music but yet play it in his own style and not Jeff''s. And a great choice they made!

J P Lapp

Last edited:

JPDrum said:
Simon Phillips was the first and only choice of the band. The band was three weeks away from a tour when Jeff Porcaro died. Rather then put a bunch of people out (stage crew, sound crew, drivers, etc.) the band carried on. They didn't want someone who was going to try play and sound like Jeff. The choice was made because they knew Simon could hold true to the music but yet play it in his own style and not Jeff''s. And a great choice they made!

J P Lapp

Word on that, JP!

20 characters

nhzoso said:
They were succesfull but I would'nt say they were huge. They had a few hits but were never a mega draw.. atleast from what I remeber here in the States.

oh yes man they were a mega draw they got very famous with Hold the Line ! but i think the older toto drummer played that .

they had a few more hits but i think hold the line was the greatest !

Back