Breaking sticks

Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

aahznightsky said:
I've totaled three pairs of sticks so far on my new drumset since I got it, probably around two months back. Is that too often? I use vic firth 5B's, and I'm thinking I've trying Vater to see if they're more durable ... either their 5B or the Josh Freese signature

what do you think? Am I breaking these things too often and I should try tougher sticks? I know there was a thread a while back about vic firth losing quality and stuff ....

My sticks

I think it will still break no matter what kind of sticks you used. .... It's ok to break sticks at least better than breaking the drum. I had never broke a stick before, but very soon I guess. I am having a lot of stroke practice on Rim-Shots nowadays from my Instructor...

I am only happily waiting to say " HEY Man ... finally ... I am able to break my drumsticks"...

There's nothing wrong with it - you're just too hardworking - and that's good my bro ... cheers ! ... kekeke ... BREAK MORE ...Whahahahaha !

Ha. Reminds me of a kid I know who thinks hes awesome because he breaks his sticks and cymbals and heads like crazy, when I know for a fact he sucks the anus on the kit. He bought like 12 pairs of no-name sticks and went through them all in less than 2 months. He always tells me how he broke his cymbal or head like its something to brag about. I dont say anything to him because hes a LOT bigger than me.

On topic: electrical tape would most definitely help.

i dont know, i use ziljian absolute rock or "the hammer" whatever sticks, i forget the brandname.......they got no tip, look the same on both ends. dont break those at all, they just whittle away then start having splits. thing is its hard to play soft with those things, i guess its sortof an ergonomics type of thing with the larger striking tip

sloppyjoe said:
taping them with "stick tape" works really well. I taped a cracked stick and it last for a awhile. so try that. Or use thie white electrical tape, (which is what I use)

Ah man thats a quick fix - i would use it to get thru a gig and thats about it. Even if its taped its not gonna respond properly so you cant really practice technique. Also those no name brands, I have never had any luck with them - I once bought 2 pairs, and snapped them both within 2 days. I use ProMark 5A's normally and they start to frey around the rim but these no names just split almost straight away. But you could get lucky I guess........ Haha. Bye

I got 12 pairs of Vic Firth Players Series (yeah, so I could put my name on 'em), and I'm still on my first pair- and I bought these a year ago! I've always thought Firth had the best durability.
Seems to me the biggest culprit when I used to break a lot of sticks was my hi-hat technique- riding the edge of the hats with the side of my stick. I've changed my technique and hardly break any now.

I use a cheap barain basement drum stick and the same pair have lasted over three and a half years. I know I need a better pair of sticks. And yet these sticks just keep on truckin. And they are extremely light for 2B. Not great balance though. It is all in the technique. Playing hard would cause a lot of sticks to break. I don't play hard but I don't play soft either. Somewhere inbetween.

I shred sticks constatly too. I have tried so many kind of sticks. I hate sticks like Ahead.....whatta joke those are. I don't think that there is anything you can do. I hit-hard and love to hear that deafening ear-rining sound from a good rim hit on the snare. Your style will determine the amount of sticks you go through. Hard hitters need a larger wallet than non-hard hitters....thats that.

aahznightsky said:
I've totaled three pairs of sticks so far on my new drumset since I got it, probably around two months back. Is that too often? I use vic firth 5B's, and I'm thinking I've trying Vater to see if they're more durable ... either their 5B or the Josh Freese signature

what do you think? Am I breaking (they don't actually break, they just fray and split to impossible-to-play degrees) these things too often and I should try tougher sticks? I know there was a thread a while back about vic firth losing quality and stuff ....

My sticks

it is not too ofthen some pupil break ther sticks in a week.
but where your sticks break is not normal.
if i was u il shal tri other stick models
some qestions:-
*from what wood are your sticks made of?
*how do u hit your drums nad cymbals?

i have broken like 6 pairs of sticks since christmas, but i dont think thats bad considering they were 10 dollars for 10 pairs from musiciansfriend.com

Pro-mark is what I'm going for next but I have to say Vater is what I'm happy with right now :)

i've had some disturbing results from vic firth when it comes to consistency. when i buy sticks at my local sam ash (5b hickory wood tip) they last about two days max. the tips starts chipping within hours. one stick split lengthwise within about 30 minutes. when i order them from musiciansfriend, they last weeks, and the tips are more durable.

i'm going to experiment with both for a while longer and if the results continue, i might have to change brands. there's something sketchy about that.

I've had the same two pairs of Vic Firth SD4s for almost three years. One for performance, one for practice. The tips are starting to wear down a little but they're still going strong. It has nothing to do with the sticks though. It has everything to do with finesse, baby!

I buy a six pack of Vader 5b's about every two weeks. I don't break all of them though, I put them aside once there looking like they might break soon,I just like the way new sticks feel 'like new socks'.

I use 3a vater 3a fatbacks with vater grip tape and these sticks are the most durable things ever i made an eight inch crack in my crash before i evan made this thing splinter i haev to worry about breaking my cymbals before these sticks i have two pairs becasue they are splintering and one the tip is wearing a bit use ticker sticks if you are breaking if not then switch to a diffrent wood but 3a fatbacks by vader are nice try em out

As far as pitch matching, personaly I think this has very little to do with the end result, especially if you are a hard hitter, high volume player. The material and weight used plays a more vltal role to rim shot sounds then a matched pitched stick! The appraoch on take to the drum will overwhelm any sound that may be influenced by a matched pitched pair of sticks! Of course I am speaking to drumset only!
BTW according to Vic Firth they also tone pair every stick.

If you are making your statement based on your ear, fyou got an ear better than a dog!
Do you have the pitch listening device that compares feedback waves? Bet you don't!
Next you say you play all dynamics, that's great, but in reality you will never hit at the same angle or same intensitiy as previous strokes, to many variables, you are not hearing pitch differences in your sticks, but in the way you aprroach.
Based on the number of sticks you break, it's you not the sticks. Sure we all break some, but based on what you have eluded to, you are probably using a lot of arm and mass behind each hit, and based on your age, it's my assumption you are probably into trash, metal and hard rock! Try studying the physics of each stroke so the way you appraoch delivers exactly what you want without using so much energy. So lighten up a bit! You don't have to hit the kit as though your life depended on it!
You can say what you want about VF, but you don't have the equipment to back the statement that they don't pitch match.

Another tip:

If you practice more than two hours, it's a good idea to change every 30 minutes the sticks - in size and weight. So you avoid hurting your wrists, because the load distributes on different places.

Bernhard

Fifteen of the 16 years okay! Sounds like we have an ego problem! Hmm you seem to think your technique is tops yet you break sticks left and right. I'm not going to get sucked into my technique is as good as yours imature conversation! Even if you have fifteen years behind the skins, doubt the experience level is there! So my advice to you is get over your ego, and listen to what others with many more years of expierence (40+) are telling you. My next comment, playing at 1 years old. heck you probably were just about walking non the less didn't have the motor skills to blow your nose!
So lets just drop anymore on this subject!

Last edited:

You seem to not to accept someone telling you it's your technique! I don't know how many times drrummers keep breaking cymblas and gear until they fianlly realize a small change in their technique and how they apprach has preserved the life of their equipment.
I don't need a video for any proof of your 1 year old capability, I already heard some of your latest tracks! So lets just keep it there!

Keep breaking those sticks, maybe someday you will understand the full physics approach to a drumset! Then we can talk. As long as you keep fooling yourself, I am finished with trying to help in any manner!

I am done with this thread!

Happy Drumming!

Back