Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

Re: Steve Smith DVD

aahznightsky said:
To me truthfully I feel that this dvd didn't have enough. As far as the second disk, all he went over was typical rhythms that you can learn just by listening to music from those periods. Plus the actual people playing on those recordings had more feeling (more swing n funk) in it too.

This bothered me too. Very little in most of the styles beyond the cliche, and worse yet as soon as he hit the 1960s or so he just went "... and amazingly, my band Vital Information plays all of this music from then to now! Hey, let's watch us play 80s fusion!". As if every style that has emerged since the 60s (which arguably was the beginning of some of the richest drumset material we have available to us today) is just to be considered a preamble to contemporary fusion and not worthy of independent discussion.

I didn't really rate that DVD beyond the technical aspects, to be honest.

Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD REVIEWS

NAME:
Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials

STAR RATING:
#####

WORDED RATING:
Very interesting and useful.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Advanced beginner to advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Vic Firth

DESCRIPTION:
Tommy breaks down and demonstrates "47 grooves every serious drummer should know," in styles including rock, jazz, R&B, funk, latin, world, New Orleans 2nd line, etc. Then, for each, there are 2 tracks to play along with - slow and fast. There's so much variety on this DVD that I think anyone could learn something from it. But, it is an overview of lots of styles, so if you're looking to get really deep into any one style, this is not for you.

For me (probably intermediate level), I breezed through the first several grooves, but have found many that challenge me enough that it takes a week or more to really get down. And I've taken many ideas for techniques and styles I want to expand on. I think Tommy is a great teacher who breaks down each beat to its essential parts and makes it relatively easy to learn. Plus the poster it comes with has each beat notated, which really helps me.

For a beginner, I think many of the beats would be easier to learn if he started with simpler, similar beats that built up to the groove. I've had to make up exercises myself to help with some of the more complicated grooves. I've also heard this video criticized for not expanding enough on the grooves, but Tommy does "take liberties" with the grooves in the play along section, and again, if you're looking for depth in any area, this is not for you.

To summarize, for anyone looking to expand their playing or to experiment with different styles, this is a great DVD. For anyone looking to learn all about any given style, look elsewhere.

NAME:
Creative Control
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:
Excellent DVD for those whose future is drums
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Advanced players. About an hour into it I was on the verge of tears (no, not really, but you get the idea). After awhile, the concepts begin to sink in, but it obviously takes time and much attention. Also geared towards those with double bass.
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music
DESCRIPTION:
This is a double DVD instructional with about five hours worth of advanced hand/foot concepts, most of which are Mr. Lang's own ideas and variations.

It comes with printable PDF files of Thomas' performances, as well as around 100 of his exercises! ACID audio files are also included to allow you to play the tracks (minus drums) on your computer so you can play along to it, which is very cool.

I was particulary impressed with the section on MPOs (Multi Pedal Orchestrations), in which he not only demonstrates how to better coordinate your double bass chops, but also how to play the hi-hat pedal with the ball of your foot while double bassing.Of course, not all of us have two hi-hats but this DVD made me think. He presented some very interesting (and challenging) patterns and orchestrations on how to integrate the hi-hat into double bass for some great rhythms, which opens the door for great sounding and technical grooves and paradiddles. His technique in that area adds a whole new dimension to what would otherwise be basic foot patterns.

Lang also does a section on Twin FX pedals, which I have always been averse to for some reason, but thanks to him am now quite interested in. Some of the patterns and rolls he performs on it are anything but cheating or easy. In fact, ALL of them are anything but easy. He uses it on a Meinl Jamblock, which was pretty cool. When I have $400 or so dollars waiting to be spent, I'll definately keep a Twin FX pedal and a cowbell in mind.

In the first disc, he covers singles, doubles, and combos, which is basically practice and coordination exercises, which are all pretty nifty and helpful. His philosophy in that area is why just practice with your hands when you can practice the same thing with your feet at the same time? After taking this to heart, here's hoping my coordination will improve.

Overall excellent DVD for the advanced among us. And even if you don't consider yourself advanced, this will definately help you there. Yes, some of the concepts demonstrated might be out of the world at first, but just remember to practice the little things at the beginning of the DVD, and in time, you'll work your way up to the heavy stuff. I'm having fun rediscovering the basics anyway, and this DVD helps even in that area with the Singles, Doubles, Combo's section.

Also, I should definately look into buying a second snare...

NAME:
Carter Beauford: Under the table and drumming
STAR RATING:
# # # #
WORDED RATING:
cool, gives a new perspective on how to play.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
drummers who like tricky stuff...and like to use the hi-hat ALOT.
PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros
DESCRIPTION:
This DVD is mostly a closer look at some of the dave matthews songs and what Carter is playing in them. He also talks about his influence about playing open-handed and leading with the left hand. I thought this DVD would of been more like an instructional but its not. He doesn't really explain anything, its just mostly him playing and giving you an example.

A little dispointed but its cool to watch and when you buy the DVD theres 2 little booklets that have the sheet music for #41 and satellite and some other cool grooves. After watching this DVD i wanted to hop on the kit and just play like him..his hi-hat work is very impressive. But even if its not the greatest DVD, i would still recommend it for everyone.

NAME: Gregg Bissonette - Musical Drumming in Different Styles

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
Very Eductaional and all -around, really full of insights & practical stuffs that we can be sure to become a better musician. Camera Options: allow us to see him playing above the drums for better visual study...Alternative Edit: 3 band tunes are offered where we can see Gregg's Bass Drum part throughout, Photo Gallery too.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Any Tyes Of Drumers In The World. Gregg explain that a Drummer needs to learn/play and understand the link between different Style of Music to be Creative which will indefintely enhance whatever personal style of playing & prefered music later-on.

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music

PRICE OF DVD:
USD49.95
(Indeed Value for Money) ... if you look at the materials provided.. It's a DVD with 2 Disc in a Set and the Duration is 4hrs and 20 minutes. My lessons is USD36 per 45 minutes and that makes this DVD USD208 app for 4hrs 20 minutes ...what more Gregg is my Instructor ....kekekeke

DESCRIPTION:

This DVD showcase Gregg's well rounded stylistic approach to drumming....and as the title goes...The main focus is on becomming a more musical drummer (What we have always talk about in DrummerWorld - GROOVE), and at the same time creating and performing the right drum part for the song.

He also discuss in great details on the topics R&B Funk, Heavy Rock & Pop Rock, Afro-Cuban, Background Vocals, Elvin Jones type small-groove swing, Incorporating Rudiments, Beat Displacement, Incorporating Rudiments, Texas Blues Shuffle, Keeping a positive attitude, cool fill ideas, Playing right part for the song, Big Band Drumming & Articulation, Chopping Wood, Song Forms, Odd Times, The Gigging Drummer, Tony Williams type-fast bebop, playing a musical drum solo, warming up & cooling down, auditioning, studio drumming and many others etc.

I admire and like this guy alot - though I have to admit ... before I got this DVD..I don't know how he looks like or who he is...just know that in DrummerWorld ...there are many who says..he is a good drummer. What I love most besides the insighful info is he is a very nice drummer who gave plenty of CREDITS to other Drummers throughout this DVD -It seems he learn alot from his brotherhood of Drummers

There were 10 Stylistic diverse original songs (and he actually explain & show how it's been played), The Songs are

( 1 ) Marbles
Basic Beat with Ghost Notes and Parradiddles, 777-9311 Beat, Double Parradiddle Phrased As Sextuplets With Bass Drum & Snare, Double Parradiddle With Accented Hi-Hats Done most effectively(very very good).Double Paraddle Accenting every other right hand, Double Paradiddle With Hand To Hand Accents, Basic Beat With 16th Note Displacement, Basic Beat With Displaced 16th Note Upbeats On Hi-Hats, Inverted Pariddiddle Displaced By A 16th NOte, Displacement Ideas At Marbles Tempo.

( 2 ) Submarine
Riding Crash Cymbals,Boogaloo Beat On Floor Tom, Submarine Groove, Left Flams,Flam Fills, Flam Fills With Left Hand Accents, Flam With Dotted 8th Note Fills, Right Hand-Right Foot& Left Hand-Left Foot,snd Right Hand-Left Foot...Lefthand-Right Foot

( 3 ) No Hay Parqued
2-3 Son Clave, 2-3 Rhumba Clave, 3-2 Son Clave, 3-2 Rhumba Clave, 2-3 Rhumba Clave With Cascara, 2-3 Clave With Cascara, 2-3 Rhumba With Bass Drum, Bell Pattern, Bell Pattern With 2-3 Jam Block,Pattern With Timbale Roll(using your snare), Groove With Bass Drum Slow, Groove With Cross Sticks, Timale Solo Played Loosely,

( 4 ) Lum Lum
Lum Lum (A) Section, Lum Lum (B) Section,

( 5 ) Noah's Ark
Take 5 Groove, Noah's Ark (A) Section 7/8 Time, Noah's Ark (B) Section 7/8 Time, Manic Depression Groove 3/4 Time, Led Boots Groove 7/8 Time, Noah's Ark 4/4 Groove,5/4 Time 1-2 1-2-3, 5/4 Time 1-2-3 1-2, 7/4 Time 1-2-3-4 1-2-3, 7/4 Time 1-2-3 1-2-3-4, Bar On Nine 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3, Bar On Nine 1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4, Bar On Nine 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4-5

( 6 )Big Band Drumming
8th note Phrase, Long Sound, Fast Tempo Articulation, Big Band Fills, Unison Hands Over Samba Feet, Big Band Articulation, Big Band Medium Swing, Chopping Wood, Bass Drum Before Crash, Big Band "Uptempo Swing",

( 7 ) Train To Willoughby
Train To Willoughby Tom Groove,SEcong Line Groove With Loose Snare, Tom Groove With Tighter Snares, Bo Diddley Type Groove, Chrous Riding Crash Feel

( 8 ) Cloudy Day
Swing Triplet Ride Patterns, Louis Prima BackBeat, Fast Shuffle With Ghost Notes On Snare, Parallel Motion With Both Hands, Fast Shuffle, Dotted 1/4 Note - 8th Note Feel, Shuffle - Pre-empt Snare With Hi-Hat, Shuffle - Up Beat Hi Hat Before Snare, Shout Chorus, Shout Chorus With Ghost Notes In Left Hand And Added HHat (foot), Ruff RRL With Rim Shot, Texas Shuffle With Fill,

( 9 ) Tribute To Tony William
Ride Cymbal - Flat 8th Notes, Gene Krupa "Sing Sing Sing",

( 10 ) Warming Up.

All the above... that I've stipulated are in PDF Files/Format ..... to be printed out for your reference and playing - 60 over pages.

I've learn the most important lesson from Gregg - Be Humble, Learn to Share What We know With Other Fellow Drummers - WE ARE A BROTHERHOOD, A FAMILY OF DRUMMERS ! ... and I know the Joy he had in doing all this. cheers !

Last edited:
Instructional Books

Hopefully a Mod can sticky this like the DVD thread.

I prefer to buy books as opposed to DVDs because DVDs are sort of hit-ormiss when it comes to actual educational value. For instance, I can be inspired by a video by Terry Bozzio, but not be able to really take that much away from it in terms of practical application.

The sheer volume of books out there is pretty daunting, and I would like this to be the forum in which you drummers out here provide the most useful ones and explanations of why and what style they are applied two.

My contribution is Time Functiong Patterns by Gary Chaffee. I am actually embarrassed that I had never heard of this one in eleven years of playing. For me, this is the Holy Grail of Rock/Jazz coordination, laid out in an excellent fashion and loaded with good practice tips. Especially useful is the explanation of the basics of Linear playing (straight from the guy who invented it.) I can't wait to get the other books in the Patterns series.

Re: Instructional Books

My contribution is Time Functiong Patterns by Gary Chaffee. I am actually embarrassed that I had never heard of this one in eleven years of playing. For me, this is the Holy Grail of Rock/Jazz coordination, laid out in an excellent fashion and loaded with good practice tips. Especially useful is the explanation of the basics of Linear playing (straight from the guy who invented it.) I can't wait to get the other books in the Patterns series.
by YAKBUTTER

Yes a very good selection, I have all the books in this series. The knowledge is years worth of material.

Title: Techniques in Interdependence Volume 1
Author: Bryan West
Publisher: Trafford Publishing
About the book: Techniques in Interdependence is about learning how your limbs work together and how they relate to time. Practicing and applying the exercises in this book will help you develop interdependence. More info. at www.bryanwest.com/books.htm.

Comments: I'll let the pros speak!

" 'I love this book!' In this day and age when there are so many drum instructional books to choose from, Techniques in Interdependence Volume I is a book that you will actually use. Comprehensive and well conceived, its vast number of patterns and combinations will benefit all levels of students, instructors, and pros, as well as to help identify each player's strengths and weaknesses. And that's crucial, because every drummers style is a combination of both what a drummer can, and cannot play."

-Paul Wertico
(Paul Wertico Trio, Larry Coryell Trio, Pat Metheny Group, Roosevelt University, Northwestern University, Clinician)

"Bryan has created an interdependence version of the George Stone classic 'Stick Control'. Every permutation and combination are outlined in detail which leads the student in the right direction for a step by step understanding and execution of coordination between all limbs."

-Grant Collins
(Australian Drum Master, The Collins/Wardingham Project)

TITLE: Alfred's Beginning Drumset Method
AUTHOR: Sandy Feldstain, Dave Black
PUBLISHER: Alfred Publishing Company
RATING: (same as for DVDs): # # # #
COMMENTS: Alfred's Beginning Drumset Method is an innovative and practical approach to playing the drumset. All of the beats and fills presented can be used in a performance situation. The book is divided into two sections - rock and jazz.

In each section students learn the use of hi-hat, ride cymbal, snare drum and base drum technique. Included with this book is a recording demonstrating many of the beats and fills contained in the book. With the help of the recording, the studen tis able to hear each of the beats and fills played while following the music (which you learn how to read and write). The play-along recording also includes corresponding drum charts (two in a rock style, the other in a jazz style), allowing the drummer to have the experience of actually playing with a group.

In my opinion, this is a great book for beginners, as well as intermediate players who need to brush up on technique and tempo. My drum teacher and I literally memorized the entire book. It's worth every penny, and you even get a CD to play along to, as well as learn to read sheet music for the drumset.

I don't think anyone's done this one, so here goes...

NAME:
RUSS MILLER - THE DRUMSET CRASH COURSE

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
This DVD is a great package. Not only do you get a chance to learn countless styles, but also a unique and effective learning method that allows you to adapt and conform to virtually any style of music you want to play. Among other things, Russ discusses the genre's history, as well as which parts of the set should be emphasized or "ghosted", depending on the sound. He also teaches you a valuable learning technique called "facility development", where you essentially learn to develop up to four-limb independence with EACH style of music, not just in general terms. For example, in the jazz section, Russ demonstrates a facility development exercise that teaches you how to move around a kit from a jazz drummer's perspective. There are play-alongs as well. Definitely worth buying if you want to expand your knowledge of the drumset and music showmanship!

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Beginner to Professional

PUBLISHED BY:
Russ Miller (himself)

DESCRIPTION:
In this video Russ delivers one of the most informative demonstrations ever on the art of drumming, covering everything from 2-limb independence to advanced 4-limb independence as well as how to master over 18 different styles of music! Historic facts of styles are presented -- the basic grooves, variations, fill and solo development for each style, the mix of instruments on the kit, dynamic studies and hints from Russ on how to play each style more convincingly. This video is the most comprehensive all-in-one drum set learning tool available! This is great as a flagship curriculum for any novice, or as reference material for any professional. Russ gives incredible playing demonstrations, informative descriptions and inspirational performances! The "Drum Set Crash Course Video" is a must have for every student of the drum set. $29.95

TITLE: Master Studies
AUTHOR: Joe Morello
PUBLISHER: Modern Drummer Publications
RATING: #####
COMMENTS: This is a tremendously well written book for the development of technique. I don't think this is a beginner's book. I would recommend Stick Control by George L. Stone before one dives into this instructional matierial. Seeing as the author (also known as the drummer from Dave Brubeck's quartet as well as many other artists) studied with Mr. Stone in the 30's and 40's, one can see a clear influence from Stick Control on the way this book is written. The book does not discuss actual hand technique, this is more about chops building. The matierial being presented already assumes you have proper grip technique. That may be a flaw for some people, but then again this is more of a book intended for an intermediate to professional level drummer. If you work through this book for a couple months for an hour a day, a new level in chops will definetly happen for you.

TITLE:Rhythm section drumming
AUTHOR:Frank Corniola
PUBLISHER:musictek australia
RATING: #####

COMMENTS:amazing book to develop ur groove in different styles of music,locking in with the bass player, it also has quotes from famous drummers like steve smith,colauita,wackerman,famularo,weckl,donati,chambers.

NAME:
Getting Started on Drums, Featuring Tommy Igoe.
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:
Wow, I heard good things about this DVD, but it was much more than I expected. Tommy Igoe is an excellent teacher and puts all his lessons into perspective in each demonstration. I would recommend this video for beginners and intermediate players. For beginners this DVD is a perfect start, and he does not fail to miss any part of the learning process. Being an intermediate player myself, I gained a few ideas and tips for setting up kits and playing. The pace of this video is very smooth and easy to follow. Each lesson is very detailed and is explained very thoroughly. Beginners should buy this at any cost, Intermediate players should own this if they get the chance to, and experts need not apply.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Beginner to Intermediate players (and/or people who haven't owned an acoustic drumset).
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music
DESCRIPTION:
Tommy Igoe shows his teaching brilliance by introducing the drum set piece by piece. This two hour video is divided into two sections, setting up and playing. The first part goes in-depth of how to set up each part (Assuming the kit came in pieces) and how to tune them and create your setup. He doesn't go too in depth with specific tuning but stresses that drums are mostly preference when it comes to sound. Not only that, he gives slight history stories of drummers. The second part of the video goes into a few basic grooves and fills. He explains the controversal heel up or down topic and a few basic exercises (he doesn't go over rudiments except single strokes). There are three additional jam songs in which his students demonstrate the fills and grooves in the video, but unfortunately include the drum part (if you're looking for a song to jam to with yourself). I found it helpful as I stole some drum fills from some of the players. The ending was completely satisfying as he encouraged the viewer to keep listening to more music and try everything with drums (ex- school band). He ends the DVD with an awesome exhibition of his skills in an upbeat jazz song. This is highly recommended for a starting video for anyone wishing to start drums.

Re: Horacio Hernandez/conversation in clave

superbatmat said:
What do you think about this book ????????

Thank you so much...

It's great. Just a shame I've barely even dented the material in there, it's amazingly deep. You could work on that book alone for years and make solid progress every day.

hi i've been looking at your posts and was wandering if you had any advice for someone at grade 4/5 standard bored of rockschool. I am hoping to improve my rudiments but I also want to have fun with funk and jazz. Any suggestions?

yakbutter said:
Hopefully a Mod can sticky this like the DVD thread.

I prefer to buy books as opposed to DVDs because DVDs are sort of hit-ormiss when it comes to actual educational value. For instance, I can be inspired by a video by Terry Bozzio, but not be able to really take that much away from it in terms of practical application.

The sheer volume of books out there is pretty daunting, and I would like this to be the forum in which you drummers out here provide the most useful ones and explanations of why and what style they are applied two.

Gary Chaffee is THE preeminent drum educator on the planet. His two videos are the best "educational" drum videos I've seen and are based on his 4 "Patterns" books and his "Linear Drumming" book. The videos are called: " Phrasing and Motion" and "Sticking Time, Linear Time Rhythm & Meter."

A great method book for "advanced" drummers that focuses on dynamic independence (the most difficult aspect of independence) is "Future Sounds" by David Garibaldi.

Hi, I was wandering what you guys might think of the following books

Title:Beyond The Backbeat: From Rock & Funk To Jazz & Latin
Author:Larry Finn

Title: The Jazz Drummer's Workshop
Author: John Riley
Fnx

i havent seen dom famularos book on here, but im really interested in it.

so, what do all of you think would be the best books to get for an intermediate, single bass player?

Back