Ever have a drumming dream?

This reminds me when I was about 8-10?? Any of you do this? I use to have a "Dream book" it was book of all my heroes-war heroes, Tarzan, cowboys, etc. really sort of anti-heroes underdog characters with some flaw but they'd end up a hero. I drew pictures of each for my book-I'd look at it before bed picking what I wanted to dream about that night (which wasn't always successful but a lot)-had story lines as the dreams progressed. I could draw pretty well at that age I became popular for my nude female pics. I didn't know what I was drawing at first till one of my best friends Mom started sitting and looking at Playboy with him (I remember coming over to see him and there he sat with Mom like it a family album)-allowed him to have centerfolds hanging in his room. We were all envious to say the least. Can you imagine mid-sixties and some 8 year has Playboy centerfolds. If any of the other mothers had any idea none of would likely be able to return or they'd have to come down. Never a peep ;) And my pics became much more realistic, which I guess is a plus?

funny topic ...

I've had this dream multiple times in my life

I sit down at the kit to play in front of an audience ... I'm very excited to play ... but I look down and realize that there is a snare drum surrounded by just a bunch of coffee tables and lamps and chairs ... no more drums ... and at this point I'm in the performance and have to make it work but wondering wtf? the entire time

strange dream that I can literally feel while typing this ...

very vivid

funny topic ...

I sit down at the kit to play in front of an audience ... I'm very excited to play ... but I look down and realize that there is a snare drum surrounded by just a bunch of coffee tables and lamps and chairs ... no more drums ... and at this point I'm in the performance and have to make it work but wondering wtf? the entire time

very vivid

This made me laugh. A bit unique. Coffee tables and lamps. You rock Tony.

I can't remember one drumming dream. I don't know what's wrong with me.

funny topic ...

very vivid

Perhaps if you do this the dream will stop? Like take a snare to a furniture store and go at it. Dreams are weird.

I used to have anxiety dreams that I was playing with a huge band, like Metallica or something, in a big sold out theatre, and my drumsticks were too heavy. Like, they're normal size, but just weighed a ton. It felt like swinging a baseball bat and was causing me to not be able to keep up with the songs.

Haven't had one of these dreams in a long time thank god.

I occasionally get these drummer dreams where I’m as good as a pro like doing chops like Eric Moore (great drummer) for example and they are extremely vivid. Happened I’d say 1 or 2 times. Never any bad ones.

funny topic ...

very vivid

I know for fact you would rock the **** outta those coffee tables. No sweat. Being honest, I feel like I would have a lot of fun on a "kit" like that.

I used to have anxiety dreams that I was playing with a huge band, like Metallica or something, in a big sold out theatre, and my drumsticks were too heavy. Like, they're normal size, but just weighed a ton. It felt like swinging a baseball bat and was causing me to not be able to keep up with the songs.

Haven't had one of these dreams in a long time thank god.

That's almost exactly like mine! In mine, my foot was like un-responsive lead weight or something and I was playing a sold out stadium with the foos!

I've had a few great drumming dreams--- amazingly, I've never had a drum nightmare. In the dream I remember the best, I'm at some sort of outdoor party for a big record company. We're outside and the party is taking place in a giant field. There is a big outdoor stage in the round that is set up and Pink Floyd is about to play. For some reason, Nick Mason is not there. So, they ask me to play.

I get up there and we play a full set of Pink Floyd....and it's great. I play the songs perfectly and after the show there are high fives all around. And in the dream, I'm thinking...."holy shit! I just played with Pink Floyd!"

When I woke up I was so happy..... I'd just played a great show with Pink Floyd. Probably the best dream I've ever had.

I had a strange dream last night.

One of the bands Living Dead Drummer plays with drafted me to do a gig because Nick couldn't make it. I wasn't asked, I was told, I had no choice.

And the gig was tonight, with no rehearsals. I didn't have the music. The band insisted I already knew the songs since I had seen them before.

I was desperately trying to get ahold of Nick to at least send me his charts, but he was too busy on another gig. I want to say I asked him to fax me the charts, and seriously, who even has a fax machine anymore?

Weird dream.

That is awesome! Very disappointed in you Living Dead Drummer...who does that to a brother?! Couldn't even take the time to send a fax, disrespectful. Weird dreams are funny. I usually know, at least in part, that its a dream when stuff gets bananas. Once in a while I choose my next move in my dream, which is usually throwing a punch at the bully or something daring.

Man I've had some bizarre dreams, but the one that stands out the most is this one. I was setting up my kit for a gig on stage. Had all my drums and that was fine. All the hardware checked out too. Now the weird thing; my rack wasn't the DR-80 i use, but... a white, plastic garden table (you know, with a hole in the center so you can put a suncreen in it). And that was completely normal to me. The hole in the center was used for the hi-hat stand and somehow there were clamps where i could mount the rest. And also the bass drum shifted away when playing, but i woke up and my first thought was 'wtf was that all about'.

Other dreams (again) about hardware failing or sliding away. Another one fun as well. The stage were these huge (with gray carpet like) amps and i had to setup my kit on them. But because they were all different sizes it was a challenge to setup, but because they were carpeted my hardware wouldn't slide. Again, seemed normal in my dream, but when i woke up i was confused haha

Many years ago I had to sub for Carl Palmer in ELP, "Karn Evil 9" was the first song in the set list. I had to muscle it out, but as far as I remember it went OK.
Some weeks ago I started to learn trad grip, and I had a very nice dream where I could play a one handed roll with it, unfortunately it didn't transfer to real life.

Yup, I have the anxiety dream of setting up in the middle of a gig pretty often, and when I finally get set up, I can't hit anything because it's drifted forward/away.

Last edited:
Only reacall having one, where I was playing a massive arena and I forgot all my drum parts and froze on stage.

I'd say it was more like a nightmare.

I once dreamed I was going to meet the Pink Floyd. Another time that I was talking to Portnoy. The last one I remember was that I was drumming and everything felt so heavy and slow... like when you run in a dream...LOL

I did meet Nick Mason though... (no joke)

I have a recurring one where my bass drum and everything keeps sliding away from me. I can never really play because it's so far away, so I have to stop playing to slide it all back, but then it slides away again.

I regularly have dreams I'm watching Bonham play up close, or where I am Bonham, or where I'm myself playing with Zeppelin, or I'm at home playing my kit and I'm only ever playing Zeppelin or Bonham licks.

I really, really love Bonham and play along to Zeppelin more than any other group, so there you go.

I regularly have dreams I'm watching Bonham play up close, or where I am Bonham, or where I'm myself playing with Zeppelin, or I'm at home playing my kit and I'm only ever playing Zeppelin or Bonham licks.

I really, really love Bonham and play along to Zeppelin more than any other group, so there you go.

You mentioned that one where things got hot and heavy with Robert Plant in another thread, so this tracks. What's with all the Zepp dreams?

Back