Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

18" and jazz ... are larger bass drums in jazz more for concerts?

Don't want to speak for others but for me it's about the right sized drum for the right style of jazz. If I was playing big band I'd use a larger sized drum perhaps. I have my Dad's old 26" Ludwig bass should the need ever arise which is what he used for his big band days.

The style and sound I'm into is the small group music from 50's onward which was generally (not always) played with an 18" or 20". I can and do play the small group stuff from any era with an 18". The drum doesn't need to cut through a big band. That being said, I've used an 18" with a big band and it has worked fine.

Additionally and perhaps more importantly the shell pack market reflects this at least with the drums I play and the places I shop from. A bop kit is generally packaged with an 18" bass. A bop kit packaged with a 20" bass drum is something I haven't come across. Since I'm not willing to fork over the cash for a "customized" cherry picked set, an 18" works well for me.

I would also be remiss if I didn't say, at the end of the day, I love the sound and feel of an 18". It's my favorite size to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jazz (and funk/fusion)- 22''

Came with the set. I'd like a 20 better though. Who wants to trade?

If I had the cash for a second set I'd get a 18'' to cover Jazz and keep the 22'' for funk/fusion

I wish I had an inflatable one. I'd change it all the time.

I wish I had an inflatable one. I'd change it all the time.

I wish I had an inflatable set and cymbals then I might want to gig. That way I could throw it all away at the end of the night and walk out empty handed.

Thanks David, that all makes perfect sense. No doubt the shell packs reinforce the stereotypes in jazz as well. Funny thing, you start with a stereotype and then marketing and media reinforce them.

Resizable inflatable kits ... makes me think of world peace, the triple bottom line and device that works like Google in real life and helps you find lost stuff.

Progress report

Attachments

• table5-percents.gif
    table5-percents.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 258
Prog/Progressive Metal

22" because it came with the kit. If I could pick, it would be 20". My old teacher had a beginner level Groove Percussion kit with a 20" kick that destroys any other I've ever heard.

The surprise to me, is the small number of those using 20" bass drums.

I've always been a fan and an advocate. I wish more drummers played a 20". It's really like an untapped gem. You don't realize how much space it saves until it goes in your back seat that much easier or takes up just a little less space on stage.

It's not the difference between an 18"x26" and a 14"x18" but it does make a difference. I can set my toms a little lower too.

20" kicks, 21" rides... There's a few things like that that are just so perfect and so unused by a lot of people.

I agree, rock encompasses many genres and I will use it here, although I love me some funk!

22x17; came with the SC fusion kit. It is the best bass drum I have heard in a while, very versatile.

Peace,

Back