Mixer Recommendation

Heck99

Hi all, I'm looking to start recording my drums due to negative experiences with local studios. I'm starting from the ground-up but I think the result will be much more rewarding and allows me to be in control creatively during recording. I'm looking for a quality mixer for $300 or less. Something that will allow me to use mics for all three toms, bass, snare, hi-hats, and two overheads for the cymbals. Can anyone with some experience with mixers recommend one? Thanks!

Regards,

heck

If you're shopping new, bump your price up a little bit because you need a mixer with at least 8 XLR inputs for that many mics.

I'm currently using a Yamaha MG (something) and for $289, it gives me 6 XLR inputs, plus two stereo line-in inputs (not XLR), comes with built-in effects. I can use it for a live band PA or mixing down to a stereo recorder. The next Yamaha up to give you enough inputs I think is almost $400, or alittle over, but they're nice, and not too noisy.

If you can go used, I've seen older silver Yamaha O1v consoles selling for under $700 and this is what I would get (I used to own one, but sold it some time ago). A new O1v96 sells for about $2300, so finding a first generation used one for under $700 is a steal.

Are you multitracking into Logic or something similar? If so what you really need is an interface. Describing what exactly your expectation is will help. A mixer is likely only going to give you stereo into your DAW.

I'm new to recording in general but when looking for a mixer I read allot of info on the net and asked allot of questions. I wound up looking for a mixer that simply had to have enough mics WITH Preamps (8), Compression, and computer connectivity, ie USB or Firewire. I stuck to brands that were in the mid-range quality wise which most often mentioned were Yamaha and Mackie. There were too many unhappy Behringer owners for me to take a chance on that common brand. I really wanted Firewire or at least USB 2.0 but finding either of those WITH the other features I needed put their cost too high.

An expensive (for me) Mackie would have been nice but I settled on the highly recommended Yamaha MG166CXUSB. It's only shortcoming is it still uses the older USB 1.1 standard but none the less it's supposed to be an excellent middle of the road mixer. You can get the next lower model without Effects, the MG166CUSB for just a little over $300, on sale and using a discount coupon (I got $50 right off the bat using a GC internet coupon).

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Don't buy a cheaper brand only because it has 'most' of the features you want, it wont last and you'll end up spending the money you would have on a better quality one in the first place.

I will note specifically on the Yamaha, you will only get 2 channels (L&R) into the DAW. If you want to be able to adjust levels in your DAW - kick, snare, overheads, toms, whatever - you will be better served by an interface (like a MOTU or Presonus device) and not a mixer.

Back