Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy playing some killer grooves!

This guy....... Wow just Wow....... Dieser Kerl ist sein Band ist erstaunlich zu gut! Und mein Deutscher saugt He is really good so I speak in german :)

Re: Derek Roddy

Roddy is one of the few death metal drummers that are fast and tight. A lot of drummer think that if I twitch fast enough, it will speeds things up, but Derek knows that if you want to become extremely fast, you need to practice long and hard.

Derek Roddy

What do you think about him?

I think he's one hell of a great metal drummer...but it goes beyond that : he plays jazz, latin music, he have the independance, the coordination, the speed, the control and the creativity.

I listened to the song Faceless One and he shows some of the most creative and progressive part I heard in metal.
He's also very nice and pretty giving of his techniques.

Well...that's what I think...and you?

Derek's Secret Weapon:

I saw this guy live. His secret to bass drum speed: Derek puts his foot down on the pedal heel up. He then lifts his ankle at the hip. Derek describes it as "The exact opposite of heel down", saying it can be practiced anywhere, even without a pedal, and that it will conserve energy. I'm sure we have all done this when we were sitting down one time. Try it now: keep your foot on the floor but lift and lower your ankle. Derek also has a practice routine on his site; he guarantees an improvement in endurance within 2 months. Plus, Derek plays at around 250 bpm.

- Marc

Last edited:

His humility is admirable, for somebody with his skills and creativity I'd almost expect him to be a bit cocky, but this isn't the case obviously. I'm not typically a fan of metal, but I respect everything he does, including his blast beats--it's easy to tell he just loves his instrument, it shows in his playing.

Derek Roddy (You gotta see this guy)

If you like fast AND technical check out this guy and his website...

http://www.derekroddy.com/

tons of awesome speed metal video and clinic video.
check out the "2 over 3 Demo" It's amazing stuff...

Re: Derek Roddy (You gotta see this guy)

I think he may have alreay been mentioned here, but I must say that even as a non death-metal/etreme metal fan I'm a big derek roddy fan.

It's the one and only thing I find a little strange on this site - I noticed he's sometimes brought up by the non-metal fans as an example of 'just another fast-feet guy' but he's actually a truly amazing drummer, and a lot more than a pair of axis pedals.

I'd love to get a lesson with him if I'm ever anywhere near!

Martin

I personally have to say that he´s my favourite drummer in the metal community.
And I say 'best' not only because of his because but his technique applied on the drums is very unique. Most of people love him because of his speed but I find him Totally Creative and Totally Fast

You RULE DEREK! :)

Have you ever see him or heard him play jazz?
HE RULEZ TOO!

Derek Roddy

How is his movie? What does it talk about/explain? Is it worth buying? -Joe Peters

Yup...check out the first video at the start of this thread. At first he's doing at 230bpm, then there's the break at about 15 seconds, and he comes back in doing @ 265bpm....

Also check out Tony Laureano and George Kollias.
DEREK is a great drummer and practice is paying off BIG time...

but you are confused George Kollias is the one who plays double bass at 265 in extreme Music.
DEREK said he did not believe anyone could hold anytthing past 255 till George and a few others proved him wrong....
Tim

DEREK is a great drummer and practice is paying off BIG time...

but you are confused George Kollias is the one who plays double bass at 265 in extreme Music.
DEREK said he did not believe anyone could hold anytthing past 255 till George and a few others proved him wrong....
Tim

I know George and have seen him play many times (over 10) I have NEVER seen him play single stroke DB over 255 in a playing situation.... To this day. Yes there are some NILE tunes that are in the 265 range but like all of us...his feet float just a little. Besides, this is another case of putting words in my mouth. I said, on my forum... that at the TIME, nobody was playing over 255 or 260. Are drummers such as George getting closer? Yes they are but... I STILL haven't seen a drummer play 16th note singles over 255 in a PLAYING situation.
Please read more carefully.
Cheers.
D.

Back