Breaking stick tips

TNA

It seems like recently I have been breaking a lot of tips on my sticks. I use Pro Mark Japan Oak, 5B wood tip sticks. The sticks are very durable usually which is why I have stuck with them. So is this probably bad technique, or just some bad luck with the sticks. I've even thought about changing sticks if it is a problem with the sticks, because they are up to nearly $10 a pair now and are not lasting as long as they used to.

The problem is you're using wood tip sticks. Pro-Mark's nylon tips are awesome. It'll brighten your ride cymbal sound, which you may or may not like, but that's the trade-off. No difference on hi-hats or drums.

If you like woods tips, but hate breaking them, check the regal tip E-series sticks. It's a nylon tip, but it's specially designed to sound like a wood tip, and it really does. You can check it out on their website. They're available in 5A, 5B, and 2B.

Maybe oak is too dense, and the tip would tend to have less give wouldn't it? Just throwing this out there. I really don't know, but it sounds good in my head.

Im all for wooden tip sticks. The reason being there is a bond between the nylon tip and the stick itself. I find these tips just fly off and hit people in the face! I am forever breaking stick. I will go through 10 sets in 3 months easy. People say "You're drumming technique is all wrong" Errr no, maybe it is something to do with playing rims shots on the snare. Gotta love rim shots. Dude, if you want my advice, and it has saved me a lot of money over the past few years is to buy the cheapest sticks you can find and get a discount for buying in bulk. 10 lots will cost me <$50.

Im all for wooden tip sticks. The reason being there is a bond between the nylon tip and the stick itself. I find these tips just fly off and hit people in the face! I am forever breaking stick. I will go through 10 sets in 3 months easy. People say "You're drumming technique is all wrong" Errr no, maybe it is something to do with playing rims shots on the snare. Gotta love rim shots. Dude, if you want my advice, and it has saved me a lot of money over the past few years is to buy the cheapest sticks you can find and get a discount for buying in bulk. 10 lots will cost me <$50.

That's why I've been thinking about switching. I love the sticks I use but I just bought 2 pairs and it cost me $20. And they don't sell them in packs, so I think I'll start looking at different sticks.

That's why I've been thinking about switching. I love the sticks I use but I just bought 2 pairs and it cost me $20. And they don't sell them in packs, so I think I'll start looking at different sticks.

Yeah. I had the same problem. I purchased a Zildjian pair one time (5Bs) and snapped them within a few days. Buy in bulk, save loads... Obviously, they are worse quality and snap more frequency, I would say 2 pairs would out last one pair.

- If you snap one of the expensive ones, you have to go and buy another pair...

- If you snap a cheap on, you have 3 spare sticks because you got 2 pairs for the same price.

The more you use this method, the more you are going to save. And trust me, it will be a BIG saving. You do the math.

Vater guarantees that nylon tips on their sticks will never come off.

Vater guarantees that nylon tips on their sticks will never come off.

And so has Pro-Mark, since the mid-90's, and I guess they've backed it up pretty well. I used to have a nylon tip come off now & then prior, but since they changed... whatever they changed, not one has come off. I've been in several groups that required me to play pretty heavy-handed too. I don't snap them either- my sticks just whittle gradually 'til they don't sound good anymore. So, I guess it IS a technique thing.

Doesn't mean anything really... Doesn't mean they won't come off... I guess I've just had a bad experience with nylon tips... And my guitarists face...

Surely hitting the guitarist's face counts as a bonus?

I guess I'll check out the nylon tips. Maybe I'll try some Vater's again, I recall having a few pairs once and they seemed to last a long time.

Back