Which city should a chose for musicians?

drummingman

Gold Member
As is im in a Christian metal band in VA. But i may be looking to move to either Atlanta, Georgia. Minneapolis, MN or a city in Texas like Dallas/fort worth or Austin to join or form a Christian metal band if things dont work out for me here with the band that im in or with another band. Could any of you all tell me if you know which of theses cities would be the best for finding Christian heavy music (death metal, metalcore etc) musicians?

I really feel that i may need to move closer to a big city and these are the ones that are jumping out at me.

I started a thread like this awhile back but i wanted to start a new thread with more of a focus on these specific places.

That's a tough question to answer. It seems to me that there would be a faction of people who like Christian Metal in any city. You only need 3 or 4 other people right? You can't find that where you are? I'm pretty sure there is no real way of documenting how many Christian Metal people reside in a particular city. I'm pretty sure realtors would be clueless, and it's not on any census...
I'd say utilize Craigslist and get some local people.

That's a tough question to answer. It seems to me that there would be a faction of people who like Christian Metal in any city. You only need 3 or 4 other people right? You can't find that where you are?

I have just been thinking that it would be better to live near a bigger city then what i do because of the number of musicians being amplified in a big city.

No irony at all. Death metal is just a style of music.

We're not allowed to discus it, and that suits me fine....but do have a think about that statement as it makes no sense at all in the greater scope of your philosophies.

Feel free to PM me though if I've caused offense. It's certainly not my intention.

Cheers.

I think you would do fine in any of those cities. I would check out some different churches wherever you decide to go. Some of the larger ones usually offer "contemporary" style services which would probably have musicians that like the heavier music and may be interested in starting a band.

Even in your area, you may want to visit some different churches. You may find some talented Christian musicians that are interested in the same genre.

Hang about........there's such a thing as Christian 'Death' Metal???? Has no-one put any thought into the irony of this?

We're not allowed to discus it, and that suits me fine....but do have a think about that statement as it makes no sense at all in the greater scope of your philosophies.

Feel free to PM me though if I've caused offense. It's certainly not my intention.

Cheers.

May not make much sense to you or me, but apparently it's been around since the late 1980's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_metal

In 1990, the Australian group Mortification became the first widely recognized Christian death metal band. Their 1992 album Scrolls of the Megilloth was almost as ground breaking as Stryper's To Hell With the Devil, according to Jonsson.[2] They are one of the the most successful Christian extreme metal groups.[76]

Prior to Mortification the Brazilian band Incubus (later known as Opprobrium) already combined Christian lyrics to death metal on their albums Serpent Temptation (1988) and Beyond the Unknown (1990).[78] At roughly the same time the band Living Sacrifice was creating thrash and death metal. Their albums Nonexistent (1992) and Inhabit (1994) presented deathgrind style. Later they "evolved from their early death metal-inspired rumblings into a crushing, staccato-driven, heavily percussive metallic behemoth that pummels listeners with intense riffage and a decidedly personal, though nevertheless, often evangelical lyrical viewpoint."[79] The Minneapolis based Crimson Thorn released albums such as 1995's Unearthed, 1999's Dissection, and 2002's Purification. Allmusic describes them as "one of the world's most extreme-sounding Christian metal bands."[80] Other notable American death metal bands include Disencumbrance, Impending Doom and Embodyment.[81]

And let's not forget rock and jazz both have roots in the mixing of styles that were considered taboo to mix at the time.

May not make much sense to you or me, but apparently it's been around since the late 1980's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_metal

And let's not forget rock and jazz both have roots in the mixing of styles that were considered taboo to mix at the time.

Im friends with the orginial drummer for crimson thorne. There are from Minneapolis. Great guys!

Speaking of Living Sacrifice, their new cd is awesome!.

Pocket-full-of-gold, no offense taken at all my friend.

Dallas/Fort Worth has lots of Christian metalcore and post hardcore bands. LOTS. Lots of churches too where I'm sure you could find like-minded individuals who play instruments.

Its kind of over saturated to be honest. Lots of DWP/Underoath clones. Not my cup of tea but this area is definitely a good place to do that. Plenty of venues that cater to that style.

Thanks for that info man! I hope that the scene is still good around this time next year. Thats when i will be looking to move. I like dwp and underoath. I put underoat down as one of the bands that i count as an influence. I want to play a combo of death metal, metalcore, and other stuff that may be a little harder to describe. Some of the bands that i count as influences to give you a better idea of what im into are: Living Sacrifice, Zao, Underoath, Meshuggah, Pantera, Converge and Extol. Of coarse i want to be as original as possible and pull from these influences but not copy them.

Also, is Dallas/Fort worth a safe area as far as crime goes? I want to see if it is also a good place to live.

in the UK we have tons of that shit going on.
if i were to choose somewhere to do that sort of music in the US it would be florida, somewhere in california, or texas.
edit: since you don't want to play death metal i wouldn't pick florida. for metalcore i would pick somewhere in texas.

We have alot of new mega churches springing up around the city here in Atlanta. I would classify the music as more "Hard Rock" oriented though. Not necessarily heavy/death medal. I'd do a little on line research of course but come on down! We'd love to have you!!

look on the internet to see if any bands are looking for drummers or people trying to sart bands etc. You ever heard of 'Confide'? I saw them in Kerrang Magazine because the singer was from the UK but left after he saw an ad for a band in the US (they're Christians btw). You might be interested in their story?

Dudes, every music scene "sucks" because it's only the minority, the 0.1%, of bands, venues, etc that are truly good. Anywhere. True, some trends are far more popular in some areas than others, but overall, all scenes suck.. it's just what you make of it, and the effort your group puts in.

To the OP, most northeastern cities would probably be a bad business decision, same with the left coast.

Dudes, every music scene "sucks" because it's only the minority, the 0.1%, of bands, venues, etc that are truly good. Anywhere. True, some trends are far more popular in some areas than others, but overall, all scenes suck.. it's just what you make of it, and the effort your group puts in.

To the OP, most northeastern cities would probably be a bad business decision, same with the left coast.

actually i disagree with the 'sucks' bit. especially if we're talking specific genres. yes, there will be less quality bands anywhere you go, but there are numerous places around the world that are associated with a certain genre(s) so much so that the best bands all congregate there. many bands nowadays (in modern music scenes) end up sharing practice rooms, studios, producers, etc. so if you go to somewhere that is known for the style of music you play then you will find lots of other people there that can help you.

when a place gets a 'scene' then the general music coming from that place usually goes upwards in quality, not downwards. as bands get better, the lesser bands end up dropping out/moving down because they can't keep up and don't get given good slots on shows anymore. you can see this the world over with various types of modern day popular music and track how bands (especially newcomers to old genres) move upwards in the ranks.

some places are easier to make contacts in the first place. the most important thing is that you are in a place that has a large network of bands, promoters and fans that are associated with the genre that your band plays, because as long as you are good at what you do then you will rise to the top. ofcourse you don't want to go somewhere that is overpopulated either, but a lot of these places don't actually tend to be in the 'major' cities, it's usually in a slightly smaller city or even a large town where the good shit really happens.

just look back through history from the 90s onwards (especially in rock/metal) and check out all the 'scenes' that have happened, and are still happening. i'm not sure the scenes suck at all really, in my opinion the thing that sucks is when it gets ultra trendy. but then that is the time when the bands make their money, so it is fair enough really.

no doubt your post was just uber sarcasm anyway so i'm sure you already knew all this. right? :)

p.s. if anyone wants to play deathcore and wants to go outside of the U.S. then go to montreal. that is a pretty obvious place to go to really.

Back