!HELP PLEASE! Question About Snare Drum Tension Rods

outlawdrummer95

I have a Taye TourPro Basswood drum set and I have a (I believe) 5x14 snare drum with the normal 10 tension rods. One of them got jammed and I had to use WD40 and sheer force to take it out, ruining the threads on it. Here's a picture of it held up to a mm ruler. The full tension rod is about 70-72mm and the actual screw part is about 35-37mm. I need to purchase new tension rods and Musiciansfriend offers them in 4 different sizes; 28mm, 35mm, 42mm, and 52mm. I'm not sure which is the right one that would match the other 9 on my snare drum already or if they'd all work, I don't know. Here's a picture of the tension rod.
11ha2jl.jpg

The snare drum looks like this one on altomusic
http://altomusic.com/shop/Taye-TP1406SJP-Pro-Series-6x14-Snare-Drum-in-Juniper-Green_pid106245.am

If you can provide any help, it'd be greatly appreciated. Post if you need any additional info.

SORRY about the picture being so big. Not sure why it is. Thanks again!

you measure from the shoulder to the end and not the head so you would be looking at 62mm so in that case the 58 should do it for a better selection go here.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_59

and also there is a good chance that your threads inside your lug are damaged as well so you might need to chase out the threads with a tap or need a new insert or a whole new lug. any machine shop or Ace hard wear should be able to help with the tap. Its also a good idea to take the lug off and take the insert out to re-tap the threads. And also in the future it would be a good idea to put a small amount of grease or anti-cease on the threads to prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
Tension rods are measured thusly (pic)

The TAYE's look like they have lug nuts, if that's what's stripped, its as easy as replacing it/them... most likely industry standard 12-24 thread.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 7,006
Get a new lug insert too, dont bother screwing with it. A new tension rod and new lug insert = no headaches...

High everyone!
I have a 402 Supraphonic and want to swap all the tension rods for Tightscrews.
I have a choice of 52mm or 65mm Tightscrews.
The ones already on the snare are 60mm.
Which ones should I order??

High everyone!
I have a 402 Supraphonic and want to swap all the tension rods for Tightscrews.
I have a choice of 52mm or 65mm Tightscrews.
The ones already on the snare are 60mm.
Which ones should I order??

Get the 65s unless your current tension rods go worryingly far into the drum before you get the tuning you want. As long as the rod can get to the lug before the head touches the drum, you're good.

Thanks Porter
I tend towards midrange tuning, so I don't think the rods will bottom out in the "Imperial lugs".
It is irritating that they (Tightscrews), don't make a 60mm tension rod, considering the Ludwig Supraphonic 402 is probably the reason for coming up with the Tightscrews concept in the first place!
It has been a troublesome snare for me, and other friends. The drums can be tricky to tune up at the best of times, nevermind remain in tune for a whole song.
Trouble is, they do seem to record annoyingly well, hype aside.

random,

If you rim shot a good bit or almost all the time certain rods will loosen up. Is this tension rod anywhere near where you strike at? Also do you find yourself tightening rods near or at where you strike. If so you could be doing quite a bit of rim shots and should evaluate your playing, unless of course you like to.

Tuning mid tension and rim shots will always lead to fast tuning problems. I tend to tighten the shiz out of my PDP X7 snare with a Controlled Sound X on it and it sounds awesome. Which in turn helps keep it in tune longer.

Good luck with your quest.

Hi oddtime74
It's not all doom, gloom and frustration. I have a couple of Gretsch Renown 57 kits and the 6.5x14 maple snares that came with them totally buck the detuning-while-playing trend.
Maybe its the die moulded hoops and the stiffer shell material?
They totally stay in tune. I know, I can't quite believe it either!
My ancient Premier 2005 snare from 1982 now doesn't detune since I added 16 nylon washers (like Gretsch and Ludwig, I still keep the metal washers and stick the nylon ones underneath).
Although the Ludwig 402 is hard to tune in the first place (even tension all round not an option if you want same pitch at each lug) it sounds so good I think it'll be worth the consderable expense.
What is it about the aluminium shell??
Crisp, dry, not too harsh or dingy and with a woody thwack on the rim??
It's costing me about £65 to do this upgrade!

Back