wood hoops durability

Fishbones

Silver Member
okay so the other night my band played a small festival. while talking to other drummers, the subject of wooden hoops arose. one guy said that on his home recording kit, he has a setof wood hoops on all 5 of his drums. and he said theyre about as durable as metal ones. so this prompted this thread. would wood hoops really remain as durable and strong as die cast or triple flanged hoops? thanks

It depend of the wood type, my cherry (which is harder than maple) wood hoop did take hard pounding from my snare previous owner and is taking good pounding with powerfull rimshot from me and from what I see, wood hoop can take some hard shot. Now this being said, metal is metal, wood is wood, apple is apple, orange is orange, cat is cat and dog is dog. Both can't compare but if your wood hoops get some nicks and has superficial damage, just sand the top little bit and relaquer. They will last you long enough, that maybe your taste will have change and got back to metal or even you changed snare... Who knows !

Back