Impulsive Gear Purchase Regrets

I kindof regret buying a Zildjian ZXT cymbal pack. It was a great purchase at the time, and added allot of sounds to my lacking kit, but now I think about it, the money could have been better spent buying better cymbals I wouldn't have to upgrade later.

got to be, i am embarrassed to say, my zildjian ZXT cymbal pack :(
now i have moved on to meinl MB20s and top stuff
still have a ZXT ride at the back of my drum room, i will burn it one day

A ZHT 10" splash (because I already had another 10" splash), a ZHT 18" china (you would think that I bought these two cymbals in the effect pack, but no, somehow I ended up buying them separately, which probably cost me extra), and I'm ashamed to say a Drumdial tuner... although I have learned how to tune by ear now and the dial sits in its case in the corner.

How about a cracked 16" Zildjian thin crash? I got it for peanuts, but it was just a plain old stupid purchase!

Otherwise, research stuff!

-Ryan

A ZHT 10" splash (because I already had another 10" splash), a ZHT 18" china (you would think that I bought these two cymbals in the effect pack, but no, somehow I ended up buying them separately, which probably cost me extra), and I'm ashamed to say a Drumdial tuner... although I have learned how to tune by ear now and the dial sits in its case in the corner.

Thanks, youenjoy00myself, for reminding me. A Drumdial, just had to have it. I thought it would be the end all to my drum tuning. I would spent hours trying to get each tension rod to the same setting only to discover I wasn't happy with the sound.

Great thread Baz.

I got myself in some pretty bad credit card debt a few years ago when I bought my last kit and didn't have a job to make the payments. I finally got a good job and I'm still making payments on it after 3 years.

I really want an electronic kit, but I'm doing it right this time. I'm smarter about money these days. Also, with the economy being in the state it's in, I'm going to wait to buy it until I can pay it all at once AND STILL have a nice cushion afterwards.

I don't really regret any specific purchases, as I think things over carefully.

I do get upset, though, when I buy something and it breaks or fails. I once got a Zildjian china that split around the flange after a few weeks and the music store wouldn't take it back because it was a cymbal. I wasn't hitting it that hard, either, and I had it mounted correctly.

Sometimes things stoke me out so I buy them....then I must admit I regret it only when I walk into the drumstore a week later and something better is on the shelves.

I got myself in some pretty bad credit card debt a few years ago when I bought my last kit and didn't have a job to make the payments. I finally got a good job and I'm still making payments on it after 3 years.

I really want an electronic kit, but I'm doing it right this time. I'm smarter about money these days. Also, with the economy being in the state it's in, I'm going to wait to buy it until I can pay it all at once AND STILL have a nice cushion afterwards.

good man, BTH! Plastic is a deadly trap. A good lesson well learned ( me too. )

Where do I begin???

1, 48" imported Zildjian gong in 1975 Bonham had one, Palmer had two so I had to have one too. Used it all the time until 1984 now it makes it's home mounted on a wall.

2, Drum-dial, had to have it, make my life easier...nope, tuning using a pitch pipe now, much better.

3. Evans tuning key...see above.

Currently hashing over purchasing another kit, I will use it but do I need it? Nope, I have two Yamaha kits now, an Absolute and Club Custom kit, both sound great but why should that stop me.....

Lets start D.A. Drummers Anonymous

I actually was hard up to buy a kit and instead of waiting I bought a ....Groove Percussion kit......ohhhhh what was I thinking!!!!! sold it and never looked back.

Well I have 4 kits now and I only use one of them (the rest are cased up)

Have built them over the years but you know what, i'd never sell any of them.

I hope to have a big enough house some time with a drum room/studio so I can have them all set up at once in different configs.

I'm sure that day will come once you've paid off the mortgage for all those drums. ;)

What was the worst thing i ever bought? Well i can't really say i regret anything so far in terms of drums, 'cos it all seems to be holding up and sounding good. I am a bit peeved that i bought a pair of shitty sticks for £3 recently tho. They were in a guitar shop (imaginatevely named "the guitar shop"- really!) and some rich sod just gave them a load of sticks and the guy was selling them for £3 each which was both a good and a bad thing 'cos it meant i got some really crap sticks that were probably worth £1 for 3 times that. However i think it was offset by the fact that i got a pair of brushes for the same money as well :p.

My worst was my first: a Pearl Export kit I purchased in 1988. Awful drums--thank heavens Pearl has improved greatly since then!

My latest purchase was my Sonor 3005's for $699 including hardware. I bid $702 on eBay on impulse thinking there was no way in hell I would win but I did.

Since I was so sure I would not win the auction I neglected to tell the better half. Imagine my surprise when I got that "You WON!!" email.....Let's just say she wasn't nearly as excited as I. But over time she has grown to really like the sets & has tolerated my insatiable desire to get another kit. Next one will be a Gretsch Renown in Gold Inca Sparkle.

One can never have to many drums!

Peace

Oh yeah...here's my anecdotes I've acquired from experience. Maybe I can save somebody from a purchase regret.

1. cracked cymbals can sound good, but they don't last very long
2. cymbals can sound great in the store, but always bring along the cymbals you'll be playing them with to see if you like them together as a set
3. always research vintage kits before you buy (that 1979 Rogers kit I bought for $600...lesson learned!)
4. That hardware-less drum shell you bought for cheap isn't going to seem as good of a deal when you start pricing the lug casings, tension rods, hoops, etc. that you need to buy for it.
5. If a deal seems too good to be true, there's probably a reason...but, of course, many times it's a great deal anyways!

I've managed to steer away from regrettable purchases, even though I do buy (and sell) quite a bit of stuff. I mainly deal in used cymbals, especially rides and hi-hats. Most of them get little use, but I find it difficult to part ways with them, and should I ever sell one, I'll most likely buy two new ones. Just the other day I closed a deal with a person wanting to buy my 21" Byzance Dark Ride only to find out a guy selling a 20" Byzance Jazz Extra Thin Ride for a nice price. Oh well... The cycle never stops, I guess.

Hydros
18" AAX studio crash
18" A custom fast crash
DW5k single (i bought a double shortly after but i know it will come in handy very soon)
Janus Transmission hat system
13" Meinl classics medium hats
anything but yamaha hardware. (besides pedals)

While I can't say that there is a specific piece of gear that I've regretted purchasing, I do always find myself regretting that I don't just shell out the bucks for a roc n soc throne when I have the money instead of buying stuff like loop pedals and mic stands (for side projects)

Back