Can anyone recommend a recorder with speed control that will help me "Cheat" on learning?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Over the past few months, I've seen and heard some awesome licks and fills on Youtube and on my iPod. My problem is that when I try to duplicate them, they're pretty fricken fast and I can't quite break down the drums to hit.

I was thinking that if I could record them, then slow them down - I could then figure out the lick.

Can anyone refer me to a "free" link to a recorder whose speed can be slowed down?
An online link would be great.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Re: Can anyone recommend a recorder with speed control that will help me "Cheat" on learning?

Do you happen to be on a mac? Garageband can slow down the tempo of .mp3 or wav files.

For iphone there is an app called mimcopy, but I don't think its free.

Re: Can anyone recommend a recorder with speed control that will help me "Cheat" on learning?

Do you happen to be on a mac? Garageband can slow down the tempo of .mp3 or wav files.

For iphone there is an app called mimcopy, but I don't think its free.

No mac here. I'll keep snooping around the net. I do have MS Moviemaker...maybe that?

Thanks though!

VLC media player will slow it down. some consider it the best media player out there. a must have. free download and use.

VLC media player will slow it down. some consider it the best media player out there. a must have. free download and use.

Sweet! Website looks pretty legit too. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin' !

huh who woulda thought :) All along I could used VLC hehehe.

Thanks!

The Amazing Slow Downer google it.

huh who woulda thought :) All along I could used VLC hehehe.

Thanks!

I did grab VLC, and actually pretty good. Only problem is when I downloaded it, it snuck in additional programs like "Price grabber, Weather Station, Tool bar something, Search bar", and a few more. I did not see were I could uncheck the extra crap as it installed. Anyways my bad. I went into my PC and deleted the extra junk, and unfortunately the "Click" noise is now disabled when clicking on tabs in browsers. The rest of the audio works fine.

That was my fault though...

Audio editing program, works great for many things other than just slowing tracks down.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows#recdown

This one is cool so far. It's got the audio image on a graph and I can play and replay any section at any speed.

"AHA #1" on a song I am trying to cover..."So that's how he does that" hmmmm....

VLC works and if you really want to slow it down and want better sound quality, then the Amazing Slowdowner is the way to go.

VLC works and if you really want to slow it down and want better sound quality, then the Amazing Slowdowner is the way to go.

You guys are sharp...

I'm trying this one because of clarity potential. However, it appears that I have to have a copy of an audio file to open up. I am slowing down a song off Youtube, which I don't think I can save as a file.

Can you save a Youtube video (at least the audio)? I wanted to see if I could open it with The Amazing Slowdowner. My son is off to college, he probably would know more about this than the old man!

Hey all,

Been a little while, but nice to see that all is still well & busy on the forum.
Since this is an older post, can anyone recommend a recorder I can download off the internet that will allow me to slow down the speed?

I've been trying to duplicate this drum fill and this would help. My tech guy was updating my computer and deleted an older recorder I used.

Thanks!

Just did some research - AUDACITY.

Easy to use. Good audio playback quality. Was able to slow down the fill and figure it out. Seems that I was actually playing the fill correctly...just have to work on timing...

Back