Problems with my V drums (can you help)?

drummingman

Gold Member
I have a TD-12 and i find that im having problems with the bass drum setting. I am having a hard time getting the pad to where its not too sensitive and triggering when i get normal bounce back off the hand or getting it where its not sensitive enough to where its not picking up when i do a double stroke or something like that. I also find that if i do a super quick double stroke, with my double pedal, sometimes it wont pick up the second stroke at all.

Has anyone else had these problems with the TD-12? What did you do to fix them if you did have these problems? Im really wanting to get my V drums to where they can replicate my acoustic set as much as possible. Any help you all can offer will be GREATLY appreacated.

Could it be a problem with the kick drum pedal? If the beater stem is not correctly set at the correct angle you can get overhitting or underhitting. I have the TD12 and have no problem at all but I only use a single kick.

Davo

I have a TD-12 and i find that im having problems with the bass drum setting. I am having a hard time getting the pad to where its not too sensitive and triggering when i get normal bounce back off the hand or getting it where its not sensitive enough to where its not picking up when i do a double stroke or something like that. I also find that if i do a super quick double stroke, with my double pedal, sometimes it wont pick up the second stroke at all.

Has anyone else had these problems with the TD-12? What did you do to fix them if you did have these problems? Im really wanting to get my V drums to where they can replicate my acoustic set as much as possible. Any help you all can offer will be GREATLY appreacated.

The TD-12 is a fine kit and I don't think switching to the Yamaha will solve your problem. Essentially, you will just need to change the sensitivity settings on the module. I can't remember how to do it off hand, but it isn't difficult and will take you about five minutes.

The TD-12 is a fine kit and I don't think switching to the Yamaha will solve your problem. Essentially, you will just need to change the sensitivity settings on the module. I can't remember how to do it off hand, but it isn't difficult and will take you about five minutes.

Agree, the TD 12 is a nice set.
Look for a parameter called Mask Time (Thats what it's called on my TD20) This setting is to prevent double triggering due to beater bounce.
/Oldie

Agree, the TD 12 is a nice set.
Look for a parameter called Mask Time (Thats what it's called on my TD20) This setting is to prevent double triggering due to beater bounce.
/Oldie

I have been messing with the mask time and have not been able thus far to get what i want.

Hey Mediocrefunkybeat, why do you think the yamaha wont slove my problem. Are the roland and yamaha kits that much alike?

I agree it's a setting issue.

A chance it could be the cable too. Trying switch the cable with another one to see if makes a difference.

There is a very slight chance the trigger has come loose inside the pad itself, causing it to malfunction.

I have been messing with the mask time and have not been able thus far to get what i want.

Hey Mediocrefunkybeat, why do you think the yamaha wont slove my problem. Are the roland and yamaha kits that much alike?

because they're both electronic drumkits, they both use acoustic drum pedals. I mean it's something that you'll probably get with both of them. Switching to yamaha is unlikely to solve your problem, then you've just wasted a load of money because of the markdown on price when you come to sell it.

I will say that a few problems that i am having with the v kit is that my floor tom pad is not very loud, and i have the volume turned all the way up. This is something that im not sure how to fix. And the hi hats do not respond all that great when i open them for a bark sound.

To be honest i was thinking that switching to the yamahas would help, but it may not. I was thinking this because the pads are made of rubber and i thought that might make a difference.

The kits I have downoaded for the TD12 from vexpressionsltd.com have fantastic sounding hihats. I generally notice these download kits are much brighter than the standard TD12 kits. The crash is for example really loud!! The hihat has three basic sounds closed mid open and fully open. But depending on the download you can play across the top of the hihat with the stick should and it produces a really meaty tone.

I've not noticed a problem with floor tom volumes on any of the original or downloaded drumkits.

Davo

The kits I have downoaded for the TD12 from vexpressionsltd.com have fantastic sounding hihats. I generally notice these download kits are much brighter than the standard TD12 kits. The crash is for example really loud!! The hihat has three basic sounds closed mid open and fully open. But depending on the download you can play across the top of the hihat with the stick should and it produces a really meaty tone.

I've not noticed a problem with floor tom volumes on any of the original or downloaded drumkits.

Davo

Is the vexpressions site from roland?

Nope. Independent. Check them out. I heartily recommend both the kits and their service.

You need to download some very cheap software in order to load up your roland brain. All you do is save the current settings and then submit/upload the new kits. Eventually you can have a mix of kits and reorder them to your heart's content.

You will need a PC (laptop is easier can be windows or mac), a usb interface such as Tascam US-122 or Edirol UA -25EX (there are many others) and 2 midi leads.

I'll walk you thru the process if you want me to sometime.

Peace
Davo

What is it about the vex kits that make them good? Would i not still have to go into the vex kits and tweek the sittings to my own custom set up to get what i want just like i have to do now without the vex? I just want to get more into about the vex kit before i put it into my kit.

Where do you live?

Check out their forum and see if anyone is local. Then you could go and try for yourself.

I first came across them in a pub gig on holiday. I got talking to the drummer. He told me about Vex and he let me have a go on the drums. I was sold.

I live in London. You are welcome and come and try mine but I assume you are from America?

Davo

Im having some issues with my v drums again. Now i have to beat the crap out of the ride bell in order to get the bell to triger. I have messed with the sensitivity and the other settings to make it to where the bell sound will fire but i still have to hammer the bell to get it to trigger the bell sound. It will trigger the bow sound on the bell when i hit it at a normal volume but not the bell sound. Can anyone help me with this?

I know what you mean you do have to be firm with the old gal, but I wouldn't describe it as beating her up. Can I suggest you try the vdrum.com forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help. I also notice it depends on which drum kit I'm using. Try editing the cymbal size/spec and see if that helps.

Davo

Back