best cites to live in for finding band members

Birmingham, AL is pretty good. The metal scene (along with punk/alternative) is underground though. It's mostly southern rock, classic rock, and jazz here.

One of the best bands I've ever heard is from Birmingham: Oteil and the Peacemakers. Not only is Oteil Burbridge one of the best bass players alive today, the drummer, Chris Fryar, has jazz/rock chops like crazy.

One of the best bands I've ever heard is from Birmingham: Oteil and the Peacemakers. Not only is Oteil Burbridge one of the best bass players alive today, the drummer, Chris Fryar, has jazz/rock chops like crazy.

I know all about Oteil, dude! My drum teacher has played with him AND my pastor at my church is close, personal friends with him. My pastor's been backstage at the Allman Brothers 12 times. He says the next time they come to Birmingham, he'll get me VIP passes, and he never goes back on his word.

Raleigh area has a pretty good music scene. but seriously consider exhausting your resources where you are at before up and moving..

my goal is to find people that are close to me for sure. as is i have had no luck. but its only been about a month.

Raleigh area has a pretty good music scene. but seriously consider exhausting your resources where you are at before up and moving..

you see, i want to try and make a living out of music...and i dont know if cork (ireland) is the place to do it....ah well.....you never know!....especially since there are close to no live jazz bands playing because no pub or club really wants them here in irelsnd

Last edited:
The 2 places I'm thinking about moving is new york or LA. I just resigned a new lease on my apt. for another year here in va. Of course I'm going to keep looking for band members & bands over this year. If I can't find the members or a band here I plan to move. I'm just trying to decide where to move. are there other places in CA that are great for finding musicians? like san diego or sacramento or fresno? also, what about seattle washington? how is the music scene there?
Is LA. greatly oversaturated to the point where it would be very hard to be successful? What about new york? I'm willing to move, but I want to make sure where I move there are alot of quality musicians where I move to.
I'm still open for advice for sure.

Last edited:
London is a great place to live for that- seems easy to find competant like minded players.
Most music stores have adds for wanted and available and if you network you can find some great contacts- for example my signature leads to my music demo site- people contact a lot through that its not a bad place to be as you can here examples of work before you contact- its a global site so take your time- you will fiind the players you need in the end!
Good luck mate.

My experience was an eye opener. I lived most of my life in Chicago and there were absolutely tons of fabulous musicians in all genres that inhabit that city. About 8 years ago I made a move to very remote northern Wisconsin thinking I'd maybe end up playing in a community band if I could find one. I was very surprised to find that there were some incredibly talented people lurking around in the northwoods and that once you were "discovered" by other musicians the gigs kept rolling in. Now there aren't a lot of us here but the good ones find each other and before you know it there is a lot of "crosspolinating" going on. I currently gig with three different bands and get calls from several others along with a wide variety of freelance gigs. I guess what I'm saying is that in a big city it's easy to get lost among the crowd of good musicians but in a smaller community the access to find others is pretty good. Just something to consider.

Minneapolis definitely has a very thriving music scene. Good midwestern work ethic among the players there too.

i have been thinking about moving back there if i cant find what i need here. what are some other cities in driving distance from minneapolis? also, are there a good number of clubs to play out in the midwest area? my main concern moving back to minneapolis is that i dont want to cut myself off from other scenes and thats why im wondering what all clubs and cities are close to minneapolis.

Back