Does Nail Polish on the Stick Tips Work?

YourAverageDrummer

I've heard that putting clear nail polish on the (wooden) tips of drum sticks actually keeps them from getting splintered. First, does this actually work, and if it does, does it alter the sound much (like does it sound the same or like nylon tips)? Also, would the polish have the same effect on the whole shaft of the stick? Thanks!

It may work temporarily but I wouldn't want the nail polish all over my cymbals. If you are really concerned I would suggest nylon tips, or inexpensive sticks. I dont have that problem much and I guess its just part of the game. Like changing heads.

I like it - two CLEAR coats.

Sticks already have a clear coat on them which would get on your cymbals. I clean my cymbals (Barkeepers Friend) and I don't see a problem. Doesn't change the sound either

Right. I've been trying to figure out how not to get stick marks on my clear heads and I've finally figured it out - it's the old don't play 'em technique. Very minimalist. Nobody complains about me overplaying or stupid drummer faces, either.

Just goes to show that technique can fix whatever ails you!

uhm... what about playing with a good technique so your tips don't breake?!

Sticks break and tips chip man.....nothing much you can do about that, it's a fact of life. Not always a technique issue at all. This is what happens when you continually belt little wooden beads against a harder surface like bronze.

ROFL too, Mike....

YAD, there's been a few threads on it but the general concensus is still unknown. Why not try it and settle this debate once and for all??

Last edited:
nail polish.. nope, i don't have any in my possession at the moment! :)

I like the sound on the pies when the wood tips just start to break down.
It is a short lived pleasure though.
Soon the stick tips get too chipped and they have to be replaced.

Technique doesnt stop tips from chipping. Very uniformed and snide remark by the way.

+1,

Also I dont see how putting nail polish on the tips cannot change the sound, it has to even if slightly I bet it's enough to notice.

Nail polish on tips? Hmmmm maybe last for a few minutes at best. I suppose if you are the sort of drummer who never breaks cymbals, the polish may last a very long time.

I would say just get nylon tips. I can't think of any type of coating worth putting over a wood tip that wouldn't alter the sound substantially. You just know that any type of coating you decide to put over wood is going to end up on the drumheads, especially nice white coated ones.

Hey Crew,

I have to throw in some input here.

What you really want is Urethane or Polyurethane (like they use on hardwood flooring) which is about as tough as it gets for a wood coating. Yup, it's kinda expensive, but if you buy a quart, it'll "dip" about 2000 drumsticks, and I recommend 2-3 coats.

I'm a General Contractor, and I'm pretty keen on wood finishing. (over 30 years)

Cheers,
C. P.

Hey Crew,

I have to throw in some input here.

What you really want is Urethane or Polyurethane (like they use on hardwood flooring) which is about as tough as it gets for a wood coating. Yup, it's kinda expensive, but if you buy a quart, it'll "dip" about 2000 drumsticks, and I recommend 2-3 coats.

I'm a General Contractor, and I'm pretty keen on wood finishing. (over 30 years)

Cheers,
C. P.

Well I was even thinking JB Weld but might as well buy Nylon tips at this point. I like the sound of wood over nylon but the only thing I can think of to keep that wood tip lasting as long as possible is tip selection. The barrel tips don't last that long at all, I've split some tips into a few songs with my last Latin/Jazz band. The longest lasting wood tip that I've used is tear drop shaped American Classics.

thanks alot for the tip pete, i'll have to go get some sticks done. cheers.

Sound changes
The sound does change a bit I suppose but not really noticeable like switching to nylon or even a different stick with a similar looking wood tip.

Tips break anyway
Yes they do - this just delays it

Use nylon
No - that changes the sound very noticeably. I use them but when i want the change.

Poly us harder
Seems that nail polish is poly
Nail polish ingredients: water, water-miscible acrylic and polyurethane film formers and thickeners, glycol ethers

Somewhere along the way, I was told that Minwax makes a wood preservative/hardner that you can dip your stick tips in. Supposedly that helps. Never tried it but it might work. I remember the brand name but not the product name. If you're interested check the Minwax web site.

I've heard that putting clear nail polish on the (wooden) tips of drum sticks actually keeps them from getting splintered. First, does this actually work, and if it does, does it alter the sound much (like does it sound the same or like nylon tips)? Also, would the polish have the same effect on the whole shaft of the stick? Thanks!

Nail polish works, I've used it on wood tips since the 80's. Its cheap, hard as polyurethane, dries fast and the brush is included. I use two thick coats. Excels on maple.

Minimal sound alteration.

No coating will protect the shaft of a wood stick, the cymbals will eventually get through.

Back