Cow Bells

Just out of interest, and because they're a lot cheaper than new cymbals, what cowbell size is sensible to go for - just for a rock/metal kinda sound, nice and strong??? What would you recommend, and i do have to say that on the Guns 'n' Roses album Appetite for Destruction features a cow bell with a really nice sound - does anyone know what size/type that is - thanks.

If you want a rock sounding cowbell, go for a large one.
If you have a music store nearby, just go whack on a few.
It's pretty simple, the bigger the cowbell, the lower the pitch.

Hey mattsnoise,

I play a variety of rock/funk styles. I use this:

371731.jpg

Here's a link:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...ussion-LP204A-Black-Beauty-Cowbell?sku=440602

When I was playing regularly, I used this bell most every job. I bought it in '94 and have beaten the tar out of it! It provides a great ROCK sound...(I've used it for Latin rhythms also.)

I have LP's Bell Diablo. Wow. If you want big and loud for rock applications, this is it. I had to put a couple wraps of Ye Olde Duct Tape on the end of it to tone it down a little.

In-yo-face loud....

Cheers!

Hey mattsnoise,

I play a variety of rock/funk styles. I use this:

371731.jpg

Here's a link:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...ussion-LP204A-Black-Beauty-Cowbell?sku=440602

When I was playing regularly, I used this bell most every job. I bought it in '94 and have beaten the tar out of it! It provides a great ROCK sound...(I've used it for Latin rhythms also.)

IMO that's the best small cowbell you can buy but

this is my favorite kinda has the "Mississippi Queen" sound

Bonzolead

Attachments

• LP Prestige.jpg
    LP Prestige.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 329
Nice and strong? use what i use: Pearl's Horacio Hernandez Isabel (big ol' honkin' cowbell) very much like the cowbell from "Night Train" but pitched a little lower. You can pound the jesus out of it and it will cut through the guitarist on your left with the mesa boogie triple rectifier and the guitarist on your right with the Krank Krankenstein who have just called "VOLUME WAR!!!!!"

I use the LP Bongo bell.

I use it wide open, and I have a black one and a chrome one (called a "deluxe" oooohhhh :p).

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Cowbells/lp_bongo_cowbell.html

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Cowbells/lp_dlxe_bongo_cowbell.html

They both have the classic rock cowbell sound (like Grand Funk's "American Band", "Mississippi Queen", all The BTO stuff, GNR, etc...).

Steven Adler is one of the few rock guys not afraid of using the cowbell--and to great effect too.
That guy had a cool feel on the GNR stuff.
Hope he's doing ok these days with all his re-habing.

Steven Adler is one of the few rock guys not afraid of using the cowbell
Hope he's doing ok these days with all his re-habing.

Man you know it's bad when Axl and Slash kick you out of the band because of YOUR drug problem.

(it's ok to laugh)

I have two cowbells on my kit, LP Bell Diablo and LP Black Beauty. Two very contrasting sounds. THe Bell Diablo is a great cowbell for a loud rock application.

Just out of interest, and because they're a lot cheaper than new cymbals, what cowbell size is sensible to go for - just for a rock/metal kinda sound, nice and strong??? What would you recommend, and i do have to say that on the Guns 'n' Roses album Appetite for Destruction features a cow bell with a really nice sound - does anyone know what size/type that is - thanks.

I don't know exactly the brand but LP put out a new cowbell last year called Bells Diablo. You may wanna try that out but I think thats for the music you're talkin' about. And PS. I would NOT go without cymbals!!!!!!!!!! Some sets are cheaper;)

633260386204819633.jpg

Adler probably played an LP Rock cowbell on that song.

LP 'Ridge Riders' are nice b/c you can flip them over and play the non-ridge side for more volume/attack. Like two bells in one. The Classic Ridge Rider has a deeper sound and an easy to hit flat surface for different sounds, more versatile IMO.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 247
I don't know exactly the brand but LP put out a new cowbell last year called Bells Diablo. You may wanna try that out but I think thats for the music you're talkin' about. And PS. I would NOT go without cymbals!!!!!!!!!! Some sets are cheaper;)

View attachment 26823

Wow, there really is death metal cowbell. I guess I should pack it up now.

Seriously, any larger bell is going to give you the thoatier soun you want for rock. I like a smaller cha-cha bell and you might want to give those a try, but for a classic rock sound you should have something deeper. I have also played with a red Ridge Rider for about 15 years, mainly as a foot percussion pedal hit with a solid metal bar. The plastic strip makes it pretty much indestructible.

Back