Gig Grips

Sorry, I think that belongs in the same bin with left handed drum keys.

If thats how he actually holds his stick while playing trad, his trad grip is horrible.

Interesting.

When I get into a very relaxed place in my playing style and I have a very loose grip, I've realized that I often feel my stick rotating a little (over and over again). This unnecessary mechanism I sometimes use reinforces playing with a better touch and feel.

Those Gig Grips wouldn't allow me to do that, even though it's not really a part of any technique that's considered any good.

I don't think they would work for me. I move my fulcrum around a bit too depending on what kind of music I'm playing. If I drop a stick, I just grab another, nice and smoothly and keep going.

Might be good for beginners, but it could also become a crutch too.

It looks as if one would be suffering from arthritis after using those for any length of time. You'd probably tear off a finger or two trying to get rid of a broken stick, lol. Why just not Super glue the sticks to your fingers? I wonder if they would work with chopsticks? If your nose itched while playing, you would surely poke yourself in the eye. When I read the title, I thought we would be talking about some individuals to help carry, set up and load equipment, as in key grips or dolly grips.

I'm done...

Dennis

Never heard of them. No interest personally. But I'd love to know how many of these things have actually been sold.

Anyone care to unburden their soul and admit to using them? We promise we won't laugh. I am genuinely curious.

I can think of at least one thread where these will recieve an honourable mention though. :)

even though it's not really a part of any technique that's considered any good.

But neither is it considered bad. Check Igoe's vid for his discussion on the "rolling drumstick". You're in some esteemed company mate.

And if you wanted to change from trad to matched in a song you would............?

And if you wanted to change from trad to matched in a song you would............?

Panic. I need to do a lot of cross stick and grip changes. I maybe change my grip three or four times in the same piece often - as well as where I'm holding the stick. This would totally stop that from happening - sorry, but I don't see the point.

At $13 a pair, it's just beyond 'impulse' purchase level for a lot of players and I don't really see any benefits. If anything, I think it actually teaches poor technique to beginners who will rely on it as a crutch, as well as potentially messing up their fulcrum - especially if they put it in the wrong place to start with.

Sorry, no.

Wow, unbelievable the amount of negativity on this product not only on this forum, but on others as well. The arrogance of a few that say this is a "gimmick" and don't waste your time on it is really amazing!!! Have you drummers ever heard of a thumb pick?? A thumb pick is what many guitarists use that have trouble holding on to a tiny half inch piece of plastic for 3 hours with sweaty hands. Gig grips are no different. They won't ruin your grip, and as many have posted about what to do when you break a stick, YOU DEAL WITH IT AND GET THROUGH THE SONG!!! I've broken maybe 3 sticks in 35 years of playing everything from jazz to metal. If you're constantly breaking sticks you're either doing something wrong or move to fatter sticks dude!!! But don't knock a product that can help guys like me that have issues with holding a pair of sticks for 4 hours!!!!

Wow, unbelievable the amount of negativity on this product not only on this forum, but on others as well. The arrogance of a few that say this is a "gimmick" and don't waste your time on it is really amazing!!! Have you drummers ever heard of a thumb pick?? A thumb pick is what many guitarists use that have trouble holding on to a tiny half inch piece of plastic for 3 hours with sweaty hands. Gig grips are no different. They won't ruin your grip, and as many have posted about what to do when you break a stick, YOU DEAL WITH IT AND GET THROUGH THE SONG!!! I've broken maybe 3 sticks in 35 years of playing everything from jazz to metal. If you're constantly breaking sticks you're either doing something wrong or move to fatter sticks dude!!! But don't knock a product that can help guys like me that have issues with holding a pair of sticks for 4 hours!!!!
YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT MULTIPLE EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!

Honestly, now that you've vented - is everything ok again?

Welcome to the forum ;-)

Back on topic: Well thousands of drummers have been getting along without those helpers. So how did they do this? Also, if you drop a stick (indicating you have a loose grip - which is good) from time to time - that's normal. Just grab some spare sticks as quickly as possible, have them placed where you can grab them easily.

As for thumb picks (being a guitarist myself) - no real need for them. Just grow some fingernail - works for me.

Last edited:

Before defending a product, you should try it for yourself first. I mean, you're not speaking from experience, so how can you expect anyone to listen to you?

Anyway, if I break a stick, then I get rid of it immediately and grab another out of the Pro-Mark Stick Depot SD400 (product page here) that's attached to my cymbal stand, which is sitting to the left of my hi-hat stand. Why play with a broken stick if you don't have to? Why even put yourself in a position where you might have to finish a song with a broken stick? I have been playing for almost 20 years, and I have never had to keep playing with a broken stick because I've always had that Stick Depot.

Also, this is not like the thumb pick. It's not even in the same category because the thumb pick is for a totally different style of playing the guitar, most commonly seen by banjo players. Besides, even if there was a product like the Gig Grips for a guitarist (again, the thumb pick is nothing like the Gig Grips), a guitarist doesn't have very many different ways that they can hold the pick, but we drummers have several different ways we hold our sticks - seemingly endless ways, but there are two MAJOR ways: Traditional and Matched! If you play both and if you like being able to freely switch between the two, then you'd be screwed. Not only that, but what about the subtle changes? You have times where you need to grip further up on the stick, and then times where you need to grip further back. There are other times where the stick is held closer to the finger tips, and other times it's not. I mean, with the Gig Grips, it looks to me like you're stick in one grip. ONE GRIP. That's not good, unless you are a beginner.

If you don't believe me about the thumb pick, then just do some Googling on it. It is most commonly used for playing the banjo.

Thumb picks are for people like lap steel and banjo players who want the sharp tone of a pick, but need the rest of their fingers free for hybrid/finger picking. They weren't made to help people hold on to their picks better. Heck, most thumb picks have too much of the actual pick exposed to be useful in most conventional playing styles, which is why they are only used by those players who want it for the tone. In fact, they're very uncomfortable to use in situations outside of hybrid or finger picking, because of all the extra nylon.

(...) finger picking, because of all the extra nylon.
Or metal or whatever it's made of. I've experimented just a little bit with thumb pics and felt free to shorten them to a size that I could actually use, they do have excess length which makes them close to unplayable from stock, at least to me. Growing some thumb finger nail length solved that problem for me.

Back on topic...

That's the problem with first impressions, you only get one chance to make them. :) Don't be ashamed or feel belittled because an innovation may not work out. It's awesome that people are out there inventing things for drummers. I think this is a great idea, and I see where it's going,but might just not work well. I know this wouldn't work for me as I change grips CONSTANTLY. Also, I twirl my sticks sometimes for the audience ( nobody cares...) But, I agree with the others, the biggest question would be if a stick gets broken. Maybe this product needs a solution for that one issue. For $13.00 , I'll probably give them a shot anyway. You never know....

Back