Your favorite band that never made it big?

Keb' Mo

I guess he's still kinda working on it his fame, and is also known very well in the Blues Society, but I think he deserves a little more credit.
Maybe it is because alot of his music has a lot of just him and his guitar, what does not appeal to the masses, but when he plays with the band, the music is absolutely great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnE8c_Dd3i8

Peiphery, a band who are almost famous through just soundclick and myspace. The guy 'Bulb' is the main dude in the process, with the drummer 'Travis Orbin' providing busy, brain crunching drumming. A must listen for metal/prog lovers. Even though they are still early in their career, I thought it would be an appropriate place to mention them.

I also second Porcupine Tree.

www.myspace.com/periphery

Mine would have to be 2 Ton Shoe.

Dave DiCenso's band that almost never was. A small cult following around Boston and songs sold off the internet is all that happened, I think.

Oh, they were like the Beatles in Korea though.......

X, some of the best punk rock ever made, and The Dead Kennedies. But I'm glad these guys never broke the mainstream.

Back in pre school there were 3 kids, one had a plastic guitar, one had a plastic drum and one had a plastic sax. I think they could have gone all the way with a little more guidance.

Back in pre school there were 3 kids, one had a plastic guitar, one had a plastic drum and one had a plastic sax. I think they could have gone all the way with a little more guidance.

Me and some guys from school had a band and we tried real hard.
Jimmy quit and Jody got married. Shoulda known we'd never get far.

Last edited:

Did they have a singer called Yoko?......

.....& the Plastic 'oh no' band ?

( drum roll, ducks for cover )...........

The Blood Brothers and the Refused are both super awesome.

Yes they are...Refused is done for but the the singer(Dennis, I think) is in a new band, I forget the name. And Blood Brothers...!!!...they are definitely an acquired taste. I love em though.

KMFDM, or their latter MDFMK.

Dust for Life

Lacuna Coil

MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE!!!

Soilwork

Haste the Day

Hell Yeah

Sparta

And I hate sayin this... but Ugly Kid Joe. They had that one hit wonder but thats a damn good cd, IMO... I ll have a bunch more as my memory complies with me...

I think all of those are very well known bands.

Maybe well known to people like us, that actually make it a point to find new or different music, but to the "majority" they are mostly less than commonly known.
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the success that they ve achieved, but if you were to mention some of these bands at say a party or a "commercial" type concert, you d have alot of people scratching their heads and saying something like " Soooo are they like.. 3 Doors Down?, or more like Seether?" Know what I mean?

Porcupine Tree has been mentioned a few times and if you go to a site like Youtube, compare their view count to some of the other bands mentioned... Its kind of surprising that they re not played more, or more well known. Its the way that mass-marketed bands that are played out day after day have just been accepted by too many people that dont care enough about expanding their tastes, and are content to just listen to it, day in, day out, and when their favorite radio station execs think that the "sheep" are ready for a new flavor in their slop, they introduce it, play it alot, play it more and more, and continue to play it out until another similar song or band comes out, and they repeat the cycle.

Sorry for that huge run-on sentence, btw...

But you get my gist. Alot of the bands mentioned here are well-known, but have they really "made it big?" I ve said it before and I ll reiterate- I like the fact that alot of these bands arent household name-bands, It means that if they re still around, and still playing shows, I can still get a decent seat and I dont have to deal with the all the idiots that are there for the tailgating, or just there because its where everyone's friends are at...Like OzzFest, or Dave Matthews Band, or (damn, I just broke my cigarette, lol) what Lollapalooza was becoming.

For a quick example, I went to a Yes show a few years back, and the parking lot was empty. When we got in the venue, it was so empty that we were able to get the best seats because no one was there to argue with us. And Yes was a HUGE band back in the day. We went to the same venue(E- Center in Camden, NJ) a week or two later for DMB, it was the complete opposite. Same with OzzFest, the general behaviour of the crowd was so bad, we had to leave before something ended up happening. What does that say about concert-goers today? Sorry to whoop n holler, but I d like some of my favorite bands to stay alittle bit "under the radar" so to speak...sorry but so on and so forth, etc, etc, etc....: )

Back