INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real name? Brian James but I go by my middle name, Jimmy.
Age? 24
How long have you been playing: On an off since grade school. But within the last year, I really dedicated myself, practicing 3 hours a day minimum.
Origin of user name: It's my name.
Top 5 drummers: Baby Dodds, Earl Palmer, Stanton Moore, Hal Blaine, Benny Greb
Make of drum kit: Slingerland field snare from the 50's, 10x14. Pacific kit.
Make of cymbal: I use mostly Sabian's but I dig whatever sounds good.
Where do you practice: Crappy basement in a 100 year old house in Portland, OR.
Are you in a band: the No Tomorrow Boys
What style of music: Rock n' Roll, Early Rhythm n' Blues, Punk, Rockabilly
Favourite take out food: Vegan Pizza
What country do you live in: US
One really odd fact about yourself: I don't drink.
How did you start drumming: School band, 4th grade.

New to forums here.

Hello.

My name is Steven Bowman form good ol' BC Canada.

Been abusing kits from the age of 14. Now at age 22 Ive been through alot of changes over the years form style, sound, look, drum kits, bands....:p

I play mainly blues, jazz, and rock. Love Daniel Glass, Sean Pelton, Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, Terry Bozzio, Jermey Colson, Jeff Kempateli. yea, i love alot of diffrent styles.

My kit is and has been for the past 4 years a Sonor Force 3007 Kit in Piano Black. 14x4 snare, 10x8 tom, 14x14 16x16 Floor toms and a 22x17.5 snare. Always have used Sabian AAX and HH all around. got three aaxplosion crashes 16,17, and 18, and 18 ozone, 8 splash, 14 HHDark Hats, 20 stage ride. also got a 14x6 birch snare drum on order.

Love to be here. Looking to learn lots as always.

God Bless,
Steve.

Hello.

My name is Steven Bowman form good ol' BC Canada.

Been abusing kits from the age of 14. Now at age 22 Ive been through alot of changes over the years form style, sound, look, drum kits, bands....:p

I play mainly blues, jazz, and rock. Love Daniel Glass, Sean Pelton, Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, Terry Bozzio, Jermey Colson, Jeff Kempateli. yea, i love alot of diffrent styles.

My kit is and has been for the past 4 years a Sonor Force 3007 Kit in Piano Black. 14x4 snare, 10x8 tom, 14x14 16x16 Floor toms and a 22x17.5 snare. Always have used Sabian AAX and HH all around. got three aaxplosion crashes 16,17, and 18, and 18 ozone, 8 splash, 14 HHDark Hats, 20 stage ride. also got a 14x6 birch snare drum on order.

Love to be here. Looking to learn lots as always.

God Bless,
Steve.

Way to not read carefully on my part.....ftw........

Re: New to forums here.

Welcome to Drummerworld, Steve. You kit sounds cool. Got any pictures you can post? We love eye candy.​

This looks as good a place as any to get started, eh?

Real name? Mike H

Age? 34

How long have you been playing? Started playing music at 7 y/o. Started playing "drums" at 34 :D

Origin of user name? I read about a "ground pounder" bass fishing tournament in Japan where all of the participants fished from the shore because the boating license and fuel costs were so expensive. Since I also mostly fish from shore, I adopted the nickname.

Your top 5 drummers? Merely from a fan-of-music perspective: Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones and "Pistol" Allen (I lump these 3 together as the "motown trio), Bill Ward, Dave Grohl, Igor Cavalera, and Neil Peart.

Make of drumkit? N/A

Make of cymbal? N/A

Where do you practice? Basement, in front of the comp.

Are you in a band? Not currently.

Do you play covers or originals? N/A

What style of music? From a fan perspective: Huge into metal, rock, R&B, and motown.

Favourite take out food? Oriental, mostly chinese

What country do you live in? Motown, USA

One really odd fact about yourself? My index fingers are about 3/4" shorter than my ring fingers, and if you've ever played a string instrument, you know that this is kind of a big deal :)

How did you start drumming? I've been a semi-mediocre guitarist and bassist for nearly 20 years. This year, just after my 34th birthday, I was walking through my local GC on a whim and saw the Tommy Igoe "Great Hands" video playing on the screen. I figured "What the heck, why not?", so I picked up a practice pad and some 5A's and started going to town!

Re: New to forums here.

Welcome Steven! Glad to have you!

Hello all, here is my info:

Real name? Francis
Age? 43
What country do you live in? USA (The Garden State)
How long have you been playing? Just a couple months, though I have loved drums since day one.
Origin of user name? As in a shortened form of Francesco.
Your top 5 drummers? Hmmm, maybe Stewart C, Terry B, Aynsley D, Neil P and Carl P....but lots more could easily swap into the list.
How did you start drumming? Started my 10-year-old son on lessons recently. This got my appetite going. As soon as a slot opened after his lesson, I grabbed it.

I have tinkered with guitar for many years, but I think drums may be a better fit for me.

Real name? Andy Lareau
Age? 34
How long have you been playing? Drums - 16 years, Guitar - 22 years, Music - whole life...
Origin of user name? xx + short form of my name + xx
Your top 5 drummers? Gavin Harrison, Steve Smith, Stewart Copeland, Brooks Wackerman, Dave Grohl
Make of drumkit? Pork Pie (acoustic), Yamaha (electric)
Make of cymbal? Zildjian (As, K Custom Darks and Z Custom)
Where do you practice? My basement
Are you in a band? I play guitar in a cover band right now.. Not playing drums in any bands at the moment.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers in the cover band... but most of my bands have been originals.
What style of music? Punk rock, metal...
Favourite take out food? In N Out Burger
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I can't really think of anything. I'm not a unique snowflake.
How did you start drumming? The other guitar player in one of my old bands left a set of drums at my house for a summer. :)

I know I already posted...but I wanna do this...

Real name?- Steven Bowman

Age?- 22

How long have you been playing?- altogether, 11 years, but soildly about 9

Origin of user name?- First initial and last name, the #'s are my old EID from mcdonalds

Your top 5 drummers?- Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, Sean Pelton, Adam Deitch, Dave Wekil

Make of drumkit?- Sonor

Make of cymbal?- Sabian

Where do you practice?- My bedroom

Are you in a band?- yes. The 57 Street Gospel Blues Band and City Life Church Re:Gen worship team

Do you play covers or originals?- Both

What style of music?- Blues, Jazz, Rock, Worship

Favourite take out food?- Mcdonalds

What country do you live in?- Canada

One really odd fact about yourself?- I have double joints in my thumbs...makes drumming fun for me...lol

How did you start drumming?- I was raised in a family that had bands playing in my house for years and I always was fixated on what the drummer was doing

Real name?- Steven Murry

Age?- 22

How long have you been playing?- 9 years

Origin of user name?- I chose it because percussion and drumming has always been a part of culture and always will be, and no matter how many innovations and new ideas appear, it always comes back to the same thing, how to express ourselves through rhythm, and it will always be that way. Percussion repeats itself over and over, recursively....and RecursivePercussive rhymes. I chose it mostly because it rhymes. :p

Your top 5 drummers?- Darren King, Dave Grohl, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello Meg White, haha!

Make of drumkit?- Yamaha DTX-500 module and TP65 triggers (live in an apartment)

Make of cymbal? - PCY65 Triggers :p

Where do you practice?- Computer room

Are you in a band? - Part of a rotation for church band. Would love to find another band to write originals with

Do you play covers or originals? - Covers, would love to branch to original though

What style of music? - Worship, Rock, Jazz, other random weird stuff

Favourite take out food? - Skyline Chili

What country do you live in? - USA

One really odd fact about yourself? - I have a nose like a bloodhound. I've always joked that it'll save my life one day.

How did you start drumming? - With sticks and a practice pad ;)

But seriously, started playing trombone in middle school band class and thought that the percussion section was having a lot more fun. So I promptly switched over and never looked back.

Real name - Doug Bryant

Age - 41

How long have you been playing - Started playing at the age of 15

Origin of user name - I am a left handed drummer named Doug

Your top 5 drummers - Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Neil Peart, Gavin Harrison, Todd Sucherman

Make of drumkit - Tama Starclassic birch performer, Yamaha Stage Custom, Sonor Force 3007 on the way!

Make of cymbal - Mix of Zildjian, Sabian, Wuhan effects cymbals

Where do you practice - In my basement or at a band member's house

Are you in a band - Yes, currently 2 bands

Do you play covers or originals - Mostly covers

What style of music - Classic/Southern rock, New rock

Favourite take out food - Pizza

What country do you live in - USA

One really odd fact about yourself - I'm a lot more OCD than I'd like to admit

How did you start drumming - Took drum lessons so I could go to band camp with my friends. Everything just grew from there. My best friend showed me Neil Peart on the "Exit Stage Left" video and I was hooked. Once I discovered Steve Smith, Dave Weckl and a larger world (I am from a small town), things really opened up for me. I've been constantly learning ever since. Glad to be here.

Real name - Doug Bryant

One really odd fact about yourself - I'm a lot more OCD than I'd like to admit

A lot of us around here are a bit OCD, but I am CDO.

You know what that is, don't you?

It is the same thing as OCD except the letters are in the PROPER ORDER AS THEY SHOULD BE!

LOL nice! Must be a drummer thing then.

Hello,
I' m Gérard, I live in France in west Paris suburb, I'm 66 years old, I' m a vintage drums fan; in 1968/1969 I studied drums at Dante AGOSTINI/Kenny CLARKE school ; it was a great honor to study with Kenny CLARKE, he was very kind with students; in 1969 I got an old GRETSCH set 13x9, 16x16, 22x14 black with little gold pieces rhodoid, later I knew it was an "Anniversary Sparkle" modele 1958/1959; in 1970 I bought an alto tom 12x8 black nitron rhodoid; many years later I had a great chance to find an "Anniversary Sparkl" snare 14x5,5: my set was completed !!!... So, I get a SLINGERLAND 12x8 "Silver Sparkl" rhodoid and a 1970 ROGERS set 13x9, 16x16, 22x14 3 "Black Oyster" rhodoid (same colour Ringo STARR Ludwig).
Gerard[

Re: New member

Hello there. Please indulge us vintage drum lovers by posting some photographs of your kits. And heck, some of France would be nice too :)

Re: New member

Hello,
At first, sorry for my English, I make some mistakes sure.
I had some pictures about my sets but I had to reduce dimensions before posting.
Gérard

Hello, it feels I've like been meaning to take part in this forum my entire life but now is the time!

Real name? Sam
Age? 24
How long have you been playing? 14 years
Origin of user name? Take a look! :D I tried all the ones I thought would be taken and got this beauty!
Your top 5 drummers? Dave Weckl, John Macaluso, Buddy Rich, Bobby Jarzombek, Akira Jimbo - I'm not even sure if these are my top 5, but these are 5 favorites
Make of drumkit? Roland & Mapex
Make of cymbal? Roland again & Zildjian
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? Yes, we're named Shellshock. We have a new album and single with music video coming out in the next few weeks
Do you play covers or originals? Originals in my band, I enjoy learning a song now and then though
What style of music? Progressive metal & progressive rock, classical, jazz
Favourite take out food? If I was to ever order one then it would probably Thai or Chinese nowadays, loads of vegetarian options with that
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I can rotate my head to look at you directly backwards like an owl.
How did you start drumming? I naturally picked it up during a class exercise involving learning a basic drum beat - then I started lessons. I never had a kit at home, so from then on I used to occupy the drum room at my school as much as I was allowed, I spent my entire school life trying to weasel my way into the drum room for every morning and lunch break possible.

As mentioned in the handy questionnaire, I'm Sam. It's great to meet you all, and great to be here! I've already learnt a lot from this forum from browsing - not just in knowledge but in wisdom from people with a great deal more experience than I.

A bit more about me - I am a drum tutor from home (with my roland kit) and have also done a bit of session work. My current land lady is kind enough to let me use the garage to do lessons so all is pretty cool in this house. I'm about to have an album out with my band, spent today recording a music video for our upcoming single - with an award winning actor named Daniel Brocklebank which I'm quit excited about.

Here's a pic of my kit a Roland TD12 which I've expanded a bit. My acoustic drums are in storage right now because I use my electric kit live for Shellshock. It seems to work much better for the sound we want. This is a pretty old pic, the set up has changed to a double pedal with a bigger KD120 bass drum.

2057dvp.jpg

just joined....

41 years old. Started playing at 13 years old. Didnt really get serious about it untill a year ago....by that I mean taking lessons and really getting in depth about technique and mechanics!!!!

Influences and drum heroes are Neil Peart, Todd Sucherman, Jeff Porcaro, and a bunch of others. It would take too long to list them all.

I recently was able to purchase the type of kit I always wanted but never had the money to afford. A 6 piece Pearl Reference kit. Various K custom and A custom cymbals.

Probably going to purchase my second "pro" end kit in the near future. Cant decide if I want a Masterworks kit or a DW Collectors kit.

Anyway....looking forward to meeting lots of great drummers here and learning as much as I can.

Thanks for reading.

Back