Drum Rugs and Drum Racks.

tfield94

Hey Guys, I am about to purchase a Pearl DR-503 3 sided rack.

Based on many review I have read, it is possibly one of the best racks on the market, and supposively will hold my 8 piece reference kit and 9 cymbals with ease, and then some.

But my real question, (maybe kind of stupid to some, as i don't play out that much, but will be soon) is if i will still need to bring a rug (still dont have a good one) to keep the rack from slipping.

Not sure if it has rubber feet on it, but even if it did, my floor toms would still be slipping and/or my hi hat pedal.

Any ideas? Thanks.

A rug is still a good idea for the pieces you mentioned, and also your kick and pedal. It's also nice to spike (mark) the rug once you get your rack, hat, kick, fl tom, snare stand and throne positioned, for quick and consistent set-up each time.

Bermuda

I figured as much, even on stages made out of wood, snare stands and such would move even with spiked feet.

Thanks so much for the reply.

TJ

Unless you secure the kick drum to the rack, it will still slip on a hard floor. Never go without a rug.

I would personally get a setup so that the rack holds the snare, floor toms, hi hat, and the bass. I would also get casters so you can move it easier. If you do that, they you'll have minimum slipping, and it will be much easier to transport. Pretty much have everything attached to the rack system. It works for my Gibraltar rack, and I love it!

I always use a marked up drum mat with stands or a rack. Saves on set up time, ensures everything is in the same place all the time and, more importantly, once the mat is down my place on the stage becomes sacrosanct and no-one else can claim it.

I always use a marked up drum mat with stands or a rack. Saves on set up time, ensures everything is in the same place all the time and, more importantly, once the mat is down my place on the stage becomes sacrosanct and no-one else can claim it.

Agreed, even when I used a rack in the past the well laid out rug is a major time saver and delightful way to mark your territory!

98be20abf44985802feca7ef9b4deaa5_zps4ef34e10.jpg

Back