Vic Firth American Classic 5A

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I'm going to buy new drum sticks soon. Does anyone know anything about the American Classic 5A wood tip sticks? Are they strong?

I'm not a drummer legend who's been playing for 30+ years but in my 7 years of playing I can testify to you VF 5A classic are my all-time favourite sticks.
Durability is good, feels great on my hands, no over-tacky or over-slippery feel...great all-round sticks for me.

If the gig is super light & the room is super-small I'd switch to 7A
and vice versa if super heavy music & bigger venues I'd switch to 5B but 95% of the time I use 5A.

Go & try different sticks though, dont be stuck with just 1 option in mind. There are 000s of sticks out there for you to try.
All the best!!

il use always and years the VF 5A superb stick for me

This is my go-to stick for all musical styles. I find it's very versatile and feels great in my hand. They are consistently straight and the pitch-matching is pretty good. They're very durable, in my experience. I really have no complaints about these sticks.

I guess I'm weird then. I really dislike those sticks. Vic Firth Lacquered sticks are the only sticks that give me blisters. I also dislike the stick weight. I feel like I really have to work to get a stroke out of it. A little bit like the stick is working against me. Hard to explain. Also Vic's tips split more than any other brand for me but then again what do I know.
Does anyone know anything about the American Classic 5A wood tip sticks?
Because it isn't the most sold stick ever :p

currently my favourite as well, after using promark 747s for 20 years

i switch back and forth between the Classic and Extreme 5As, both with and without the Vic Grip coating, depending on how i feel that day

i used to bash, but switched to some sort of hybrid Bonham/JoJo Meyer grip where i bounce the sticks more than smash, and these 5As just seemed to work the best

Back