Metallica - Death Magnetic. They're at it again. (heads up)

I listened to bits and pieces of Death Magnetic last night, during smoke breaks at band practice. I liked what I heard a lot - I'm listening to the whole thing through right now. They sound like a much more mature, skillful, technically proficient band covering the older Metallica sound. It has a very progressive feel to it and it actually rocks pretty hard. Driving rhythms, dark chord progressions; engaging, oldschool guitar duos, shredding solos. Hetfield is conspicuously more forceful with his voice than he's been in recent times. It's a welcome return to metal, and I like it.

Ten songs, 75 minutes play time.

Seems to me that there is absolutely NOTHING that Metallica could do today that would not be controversial, generating mixed reviews and emotions. They've been around so long and have explored such a wide range of sound... People are going to love this album and hate it. And everything in between. As usual.

So far I'm diggin' it and I expect I'll be turning up loud in the car for a few weeks - until I get sick of it.

Better than st. anger.

But what's up with the production? I know Rubin likes to mix up his approach sometimes, but this sounds - for lack of a better word... pants.

I heard some of it and overall I find the "retro" type sound quite interesting. Not to start some Lars bashing, but in my opinion, some of his parts kill the song, like on "The Day That Never Comes." That's just me though...

All this is only a first impression, I'll have listen to all of the album for a bit before having a final opinion.

I still haven't heard it all the way through, though I just felt like sticking up for St. Anger because I thought that it was great album. It just wasn't the sound that people wanted to hear. Songs like "Purify" and "The Unnamed feeling" were great, same with "St. Anger" itself.

My opinion, but there we go.

T

I still haven't heard it all the way through, though I just felt like sticking up for St. Anger because I thought that it was great album. It just wasn't the sound that people wanted to hear. Songs like "Purify" and "The Unnamed feeling" were great, same with "St. Anger" itself.

My opinion, but there we go.

T

I know what you're saying, it was mostly the die hard Metallica fans who were disappointed. It takes a more open find to appreciate the album.

The only song I could really enjoy on that album was Frantic. Some Kind of Monster was some kind of crap, it was almost as if they were trying way to hard.

I'm sure I'll get beat up for this (but I can take it).

I heard that tune "The Day That Never Comes" today on the way to work and honestly, in my opinion, it sounded awful. I thought the drumming was just terrible. It feels awkward and sloppy...and like others have said - it sounds like it was mixed in someone's garage on second-hand equipment.

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent. I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.

I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.

Well said. People in general are afraid to be unique these days. Metallica could still be mega-rock stars if they kept their original sound past Black album.

I'm sure I'll get beat up for this (but I can take it).

I heard that tune "The Day That Never Comes" today on the way to work and honestly, in my opinion, it sounded awful. I thought the drumming was just terrible. It feels awkward and sloppy...and like others have said - it sounds like it was mixed in someone's garage on second-hand equipment.

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent. I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.

i noticed that too when i heard it. i was wondering if it was just me.

i think music is at a pivotal point right now, and i dont think there is much metallica can do for themselves in the 'big picture' of musical evolution. if they went back to the old sound, then its boring cause its already been done. when they try something different, like St. Anger, people hate it. its the bitter dilema of being totally past your peak.

but im no metallica fan anyways, so dont call me on that.

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent.

Vinnie, can you hear me gagging?!! LOL I just lost my breakfast! Please do not take offense Vinster. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Bob Rock became a member of the band with the black album. Bob "friggin" Rock. The name says it all. I cannot even listen to one song from that album with out wanting to tease my hair, put on make up and start dancing.

I disowned them with the Black Album. Total sell outs. But that is OK, they are rich and I am not. I believe Lars has gone through more kits than Zambizzi and me combined.

If Metallica hadn't preached in the early days about "no" image and "new age metal from England", I might not have had a problem with their complete 180. But, they turned into complete and utter hypocrites. Plus, they didn't even attempt to help other bands from the early thrash scene.

But, I did listen to a couple of cuts from their new album and I am not impressed at all.

The songs lack "heart". Sounds like they are trying to hard to go back to the old days. Perhaps the criticism from all of the old, disgusted fans finally got to them.

The productions sucks, but that is a given. Ruben kind of does that. Way to raw.

But, if you listen to some of Slayer's latest stuff by Ruben, it has "heart". Slayer is the only old time "Thrash/Speed Metal" band that didn't sell out. Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax sold their souls.

Now, I am completely biased against Metallica for so many reasons. So, perhaps my opinion should not be counted.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are true masterpieces. I cannot ever take those albums away from Metallica.

Metallica and VH are similar.

You have Van Halen with Dave which is TRUE VH. Very unique and ground breaking. Amazing, timeless stuff.

You have VH with Sammy. OK pop rock stuff, but very generic without the attitude. Definitely not VH.

You then have Metallica with Cliff and Metallica without.

Simply put, Metallica became a money making business. They were no longer "artists" after And Justice.

Enough said.

i have heard "the day thast never comes" it is alright, got that 80's feel, but the drums sound better and so does the guitar tone.

Vinnie, can you hear me gagging?!! LOL I just lost my breakfast! Please do not take offense Vinster. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Bob Rock became a member of the band with the black album. Bob "friggin" Rock. The name says it all. I cannot even listen to one song from that album with out wanting to tease my hair, put on make up and start dancing.

I disowned them with the Black Album. Total sell outs. But that is OK, they are rich and I am not. I believe Lars has gone through more kits than Zambizzi and me combined.

If Metallica hadn't preached in the early days about "no" image and "new age metal from England", I might not have had a problem with their complete 180. But, they turned into complete and utter hypocrites. Plus, they didn't even attempt to help other bands from the early thrash scene.

But, I did listen to a couple of cuts from their new album and I am not impressed at all.

The songs lack "heart". Sounds like they are trying to hard to go back to the old days. Perhaps the criticism from all of the old, disgusted fans finally got to them.

The productions sucks, but that is a given. Ruben kind of does that. Way to raw.

But, if you listen to some of Slayer's latest stuff by Ruben, it has "heart". Slayer is the only old time "Thrash/Speed Metal" band that didn't sell out. Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax sold their souls.

Now, I am completely biased against Metallica for so many reasons. So, perhaps my opinion should not be counted.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are true masterpieces. I cannot ever take those albums away from Metallica.

You have Van Halen with Dave which is TRUE VH. Very unique and ground breaking. Amazing, timeless stuff.

You have VH with Sammy. OK pop rock stuff, but very generic without the attitude. Definitely not VH.

Simply put, Metallica became a money making business. They were no longer "artists" after And Justice.

Enough said.

Add Justice to the list of masterpieces.

The Black album was fantastic! Enter Sandman! Nothing Else Matters!

I think you're getting the Black album mixed up with load/re-load!

Enough said.

I sirously doubt that...lol

But, Sammy with Van Halen was fun. He was a lively person and had a good stage presence. Dave (at least now) seems very...planned. Iy's just all staged. It's fun, but Sammy made it more lively and unpredictable.

See Mikey, I just don't care enough about Metallica and its past to compare the prior albums to the black album, what they said or did in the past, etc. I liked what I heard on that album more than the stuff I had heard from their earlier albums...but I'm not die-hard so I don't have the background on it. My clean, unbiased, virgin ears liked the black album...nothing else stood out to me. :)

I liked Van Halen better with Sammy...Dave always seemed like a goofy-ass clown to me and I don't see their music with Dave as any more or less "commercial".

Most artists produce these albums with the intent of commercial gain, forget what anyone says otherwise. It's how they launch big tours and make their scratch. I don't see any problem with that at all, personally...I wish them all great success. I hope they continue to "sell out" for decades to come! When they start to make crappy music and put shorter-term commercial success before creativity...or their image begins to wear out...they'll see lower sales and a diminished fan-base.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

See Mikey, I just don't care enough about Metallica and its past to compare the prior albums to the black album, what they said or did in the past, etc. I liked what I heard on that album more than the stuff I had heard from their earlier albums...but I'm not die-hard so I don't have the background on it. My clean, unbiased, virgin ears liked the black album...nothing else stood out to me. :)

I liked Van Halen better with Sammy...Dave always seemed like a goofy-ass clown to me and I don't see their music with Dave as any more or less "commercial".

Most artists produce these albums with the intent of commercial gain, forget what anyone says otherwise. It's how they launch big tours and make their scratch. I don't see any problem with that at all, personally...I wish them all great success. I hope they continue to "sell out" for decades to come! When they start to make crappy music and put shorter-term commercial success before creativity...or their image begins to wear out...they'll see lower sales and a diminished fan-base.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Cheers Vinnie!!!

Great post.

Can't wait for the pics!!!!!!! I am probably going as crazy as you.

Still have the Pearls???

Add Justice to the list of masterpieces.

The Black album was fantastic! Enter Sandman! Nothing Else Matters!

I think you're getting the Black album mixed up with load/re-load!

Mr. Cobra

I didn't mean load and re load.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone. I am serious in my post, but typing with a smile and joking around. So, if I offend anyone, I apologize.

That said and out of the way, Justice is FAR from a masterpiece. That is when it all started falling apart. You know when you see a racecar just start to go sideways and you know the crash into the wall follow by the flips is just moments away? That is Justice. Black is the massive, fatal crash that follows!!!!

Kill 'em All 9 / 10
Ride the Lightning 9 / 10
Master of Puppets 11 / 10
Justice 7.5 / 10
Black 2 / 10 (Lar's does have an awesome fill on Wherever I may Roam. That raises it from a 0 to a 2)
Load 0 / 10
Re Load 1 / 10
St. Anger 2 / 10
New Album <5 / 10 from what I have heard.

You must be younger than I am. So, black probably came out right when you were at that impressionable age.

I am like that too. My guitar player is 5 or 6 years older than I am. We love the scorpions, just different times.

He loves everything before the blackout album, I like blackout and love at first sting.

It is all in fun, but Metallica has sucked for 20 years, in my opinion (which shouldn't stand for much). If you saw my ex wife, you would see that my opinions are not always right!

Can't wait for the pics!!!!!!! I am probably going as crazy as you.

Still have the Pearls???

Oh man, you've REALLY got issues then. ;)

Yep, still have the Masters...probably always will. I'm going to order a 10"x8" tom in December, too!

Oh man, you've REALLY got issues then. ;)

Yep, still have the Masters...probably always will. I'm going to order a 10"x8" tom in December, too!

Great,

Looks like Deathmetalconga is going to be sending me a pair of sticks!!!!!

And yes, I have MAJOR issues!

Just got a quote for a 28 x 20 Battlefield matching bass drum cause my 26 x 18 isn't big enough!

Mr. Cobra

I didn't mean load and re load.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone. I am serious in my post, but typing with a smile and joking around. So, if I offend anyone, I apologize.

That said and out of the way, Justice is FAR from a masterpiece. That is when it all started falling apart. You know when you see a racecar just start to go sideways and you know the crash into the wall follow by the flips is just moments away? That is Justice. Black is the massive, fatal crash that follows!!!!

Kill 'em All 9 / 10
Ride the Lightning 9 / 10
Master of Puppets 11 / 10
Justice 7.5 / 10
Black 2 / 10 (Lar's does have an awesome fill on Wherever I may Roam. That raises it from a 0 to a 2)
Load 0 / 10
Re Load 1 / 10
St. Anger 2 / 10
New Album <5 / 10 from what I have heard.

You must be younger than I am. So, black probably came out right when you were at that impressionable age.

I am like that too. My guitar player is 5 or 6 years older than I am. We love the scorpions, just different times.

He loves everything before the blackout album, I like blackout and love at first sting.

It is all in fun, but Metallica has sucked for 20 years, in my opinion (which shouldn't stand for much). If you saw my ex wife, you would see that my opinions are not always right!

This would be my vote

Kill 'em All 10 / 10
Ride the Lightning 10 / 10
Master of Puppets 10 / 10
Justice 9 / 10
Black 10 / 10 (though it's not as heavy, I can easily listen to the entire album without being bored)
Load 7 / 10
Re Load 8 / 10 (Load and Reload weren't THAT bad, just differant)
St. Anger 8 / 10 (I liked St. Anger, it's not Metallica, but I liked it)
New Album 10 / 10 (I baught it, im as pleased as ever)

But, thats just me

This would be my vote

Kill 'em All 10 / 10
Ride the Lightning 10 / 10
Master of Puppets 10 / 10
Justice 9 / 10
Black 10 / 10 (though it's not as heavy, I can easily listen to the entire album without being bored)
Load 7 / 10
Re Load 8 / 10 (Load and Reload weren't THAT bad, just differant)
St. Anger 8 / 10 (I liked St. Anger, it's not Metallica, but I liked it)
New Album 10 / 10 (I baught it, im as pleased as ever)

But, thats just me

I'm seeing far too many perfect scores here. Surely you can find the flaws in five albums? That means that those five albums are utterly perfect. Well, they're not. Even Puppets has flaws - Leper Messiah is a good tune, but drags a bit and Kill 'Em All has really appalling lyrics. Look into it a bit deeper and you'll see what I mean.

Back