Evans: What does "genera" mean?

Fuo

Platinum Member
I have a Tama snare that came with a Tama-branded "genera G1 coated" head. Is this just a plain old G1?

I was always under the impression that "genera" didn't really mean anything, and I've heard people here say that too... But looking at the Evans site makes me question this. The only "genera" heads on the site are the "genera" and "genera dry", both of which have a 2mil dampening ring inside. Also, if you look at the pictures on the site, the labels are inconsistent, some say "genera hd [dry]" (angled) and some say "genera" (head-on).

Back to my snare, it doesn't LOOK like it has a dampening ring (I'm too lazy to take it off, I just looked up through reso head). But it does SOUND like it could, it is very crisp and dry, but that could be because its a B/B snare with diecast hoops... and I think my cats may have added some "dry vents" at some point ;) Whatever it is... it sounds great.

So your drum came with the regular Genera G1. I see what you mean on the site, it's not very clear.

Genera® G1 A drumming tradition, the unadorned, white coated makes the leap from vintage to modern. The Genera-weight film ensures that the G1 is both durable and sensitive. Just breathe on the G1 and the snares respond! Wide-open, it is your artist’s palette, yielding a rainbow of timbres - depending on where and how you touch it.

Genera® G2 We are entering two-ply territory - two 7 mil plies, to be exact. The G2 formula, rapidly becoming a world benchmark on toms, is a delight on snare. It gives you the wide-open response of the G1, with added depth of tone. Pop the G2 COATED onto a 7” brass, 5” steel, or 3” birch - onto any snare drum, for that matter - for an instant match. The G2 COATED is a snare drum head for all tastes and backbeats…a universal soldier. You can use G2s live or in the studio for rock, fusion, country, and big band or high-volume jazz playing. The G2 clear heads are also excellent on timbales.

Evans Genera Snare Batter Heads
Basic characteristics:

Power Center
We heard your prayers. You asked for the response of a single-ply head, but had concerns about trashing the middle. The Power Center add durability- and focus -where the stick falls most. Meanwhile, the overtones sing around the rim. Unique perforated vents open up the sound and make for a user-friendly feeling.

Genera
The best of both worlds, the Genera is a single-ply head that has the fat spread of a double-ply head. A slender 2 mil overtone control ring on the underside "floats" with the head, affordable a touch of damping. The rimshot remains clear.

Genera Dry
A step dryer in a one ply head. Evans "tried and true" vents eliminate stray harmonics- and permit the head to "give" a little under your stick. Tuned medium/loose and struck dead center, the head responds with a snarey sizzle that's microphone friendly. Tighten the Genera Dry and it has a great, crisp rimshot.

Genera HD
It yields an extremely full rimshot and balanced response from the center. Lay into this one with the assurance that it's not going to go anywhere. The muffling is just a tad and banishes only the troublesome overtones. Tighten the Genera HD; it will not choke. It barks live- plus, it speaks within an ideal frequency window for studio work.

Genera HD DRY
A double-ply head with overtone control ring that is instantly both contemporary and retro. Tune it loose to evoke Abbey Road tube mikes or 1970s Memphis. Crank it up and it sparkles with an exquisite mixture of overtones. Great for studio, the Genera HD Dry has the necessary live crack to wedge through overdriven guitars and keyboards. Those tiny dry vents and narrow overtone control ring go to work at any tuning.

ST Dry
A two ply head, vented. The ST Dry has the volume and aggression of most 2-ply heads, but with the higher harmonics brushed from the picture. It cuts through with rich tone. Ghost notes articulate beautiflly, while the rimshot is highly gated. Hard -rock, it holds it's own. Crack it fearlessly and the vents promote an organic sensation - almost "aged-in" like a vintage ride cymbal.

So "genera g1" and "G1" are the same thing? I've seen normal, evans-branded, heads with both titles inside the Evans logo.

The GENERA heads have the very thin tone control ring. They can also have vent holes (Dry).
The tone control ring is really thin and clear, so you might not see it through the bottom of the snare.

G1 is the same 10 mil head, but no tone control ring.
G2, no TCR.

I always thought that they were the same construction. Today I checked a bunch (3) of Evans 14" coated heads with the Genera G1 stamp and non of them had a tone control ring. The Evans literature I have also speaks of a 2 mil internal overtone ring, if it's there, it's invisible. As far as I can see, my book never mentions the words Genera and G1 in the same sentence. But the head I have on my 14" Ludwig floor tom says" Genera G1. The plot thickens.

Dennis

The bottom head is what is on my 14" floor tom, the head sitting on top of it is just a standard G1 coated. I was told at one point in time that the "G" stands for genera, I don't know for sure.

DSC_0200-1.jpg

This is the under side of the Evans genera G1 coated head. I don't see or feel any type of ring that would go between the head and the bearing edge of the drum.

DSC_0224-1.jpg

Where's the Evans guy when you need him, lol.

Dennis

They're the same heads. They used to label them "genera g1 coated." Now it's labeled G1
Short and sweet.

Evidently it wasn't just a labeling thing. In the Evans 2007 product catalog they did mention that the genera heads did, at least at that time, have a 2 mil internal overtone control ring. So my thinking is, when did they have it, if at all, and when was it discontinued?

I'm throwing out all my Evans heads until I get a concise and concrete answer.... How do you spell REMO? Just kidding.

Dennis

Evidently it wasn't just a labeling thing. In the Evans 2007 product catalog they did mention that the genera heads did, at least at that time, have a 2 mil internal overtone control ring. So my thinking is, when did they have it, if at all, and when was it discontinued?

I'm throwing out all my Evans heads until I get a concise and concrete answer.... How do you spell REMO? Just kidding.

Dennis

I never have seen a Genera G1 or "G1" with the 2mil ctrl ring. The HD has it for sure.

I noticed this labeling issue a while back but was told they are the exact same head. I could not tell any difference between either so I'm 99% sure they are the same. I guess Evans could chime in an clear this whole mess up once and for all.

Where's the Evans guy when you need him, lol.

Dennis

Sorry, I was out in Austin, TX for SXSW all last week and am just now catching up on the message boards. As always, the best way to get in touch with me is to fire off an email to [email protected] or at least PM me. I do my best to read all pertinent threads, but I do need to eat and sleep at some point :)

We removed the use of the term "Genera" from our G1, G2 and G Plus heads due to redundancy. You may still see some heads out on the market that are stamped as "genera g1 coated." These are the same as a head stamped simply as "G1."

@T.Underhill- Where did you find those descriptions?

Sorry, I was out in Austin, TX for SXSW all last week and am just now catching up on the message boards. As always, the best way to get in touch with me is to fire off an email to [email protected] or at least PM me. I do my best to read all pertinent threads, but I do need to eat and sleep at some point :)

We removed the use of the term "Genera" from our G1, G2 and G Plus heads due to redundancy. You may still see some heads out on the market that are stamped as "genera g1 coated." These are the same as a head stamped simply as "G1."

Awesome. Thank you. x20

Midwest Percussion website. Are they incorrect because then I'd be busted for plagiarism and providing horribly bad info.

Back