DW 3000 Single Pedal

gospelchops

Hello everyone. I have a DW 3000 single pedal, and I seem to have problems with the spring action on it. I'm trying to work on my foot speed, but I can't seem to get a good response from it. It just feels like I'm doing all of the work, if you know what I mean. I've tried adjusting the spring. Is there a DW spring that I can upgrade to, or maybe a beater? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I felt the same way with my 3000 doubles. I ordered a replacement spring from Gibraltar off of Amazon and it made no difference. It helped at full tension as it is a brand new and a tiny bit shorter spring but nothing to write home about. I personally just found a more comfortable and less work needed from my leg/foot spring tension, as I was at full tension for many months but because of the stock beater it's still quite slugish. It's like a lose lose situation until I can get new light weight or smaller beaters on this set to see if it helps. I know for a fact these pedals are slugish, if you watch a Tony Royster video of him playing a DW Performance set on a promotional video, you will see him play the 9000 with the same beater but the pedal and beater move effortlessly. It's insane and makes me crave for a pedal like that lol!

I have to say for what these pedals are, while being a tiny bit over priced IMO, they are quite nice. Solid, no noise and I've been able to advance my skills with my double bass playing with them. Also, with the weight of this pedal in general (the pedal and beater) it has helped with my leg strength and memory. So it's a good pedal to work with for a while until you can afford the good ****, then I hope to feel my feet fly once I do get something better.

Nice name BTW, friggin love Gospel Chops and hope to learn those skills some day!

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I know that even if I am having to put a lot work into my single pedal speed, it can't hurt. I would love to own all of the 9000 series hardware. Especially the hihat, and snare stand. Beautimous!

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I know that even if I am having to put a lot work into my single pedal speed, it can't hurt. I would love to own all of the 9000 series hardware. Especially the hihat, and snare stand. Beautimous!

Yeah for sure, no problem. I too work on my right foot skills even though I have a double. It's good to have both depending on the music you play, or in my case try to play haha! :)

Try the DW Heavy spring.

I'd try adjusting the foot board angle. Higher up/sharper angle helps me get way more action from any pedal. Easy adjustment, so you can play around and find what works.
Also, beater length and angle (how far back or close it is to head) makes a big difference.

Your 3000 pedal is basically what my old 5000 was. THIS design is the smoother feeling one IMO. When they went bigger foot board and heel, the feeling was sluggish compared to the ones on the (now) 3000 (again IMO).

Good luck!

Try the DW Heavy spring.

I'd try adjusting the foot board angle. Higher up/sharper angle helps me get way more action from any pedal. Easy adjustment, so you can play around and find what works.
Also, beater length and angle (how far back or close it is to head) makes a big difference.

Thanks I'll have to look into that spring. As for adjusting the foot board, I believe this doesn't have a foot board adjustment. The only way to adjust the foot board is by adjusting the beater forward or back. I'll look again but I don't think so....

i had a similar sluggish response problem with a cheap ludwig pedal. turns out the beater was out too high, creating too far a throw for the spring to bring back quickly. you might just want to bring your beater down a hair and see how that works for you. aside from that, you could also try a lighter beater, like the tama cobra beaters.

As for adjusting the foot board, I believe this doesn't have a foot board adjustment. The only way to adjust the foot board is by adjusting the beater forward or back. I'll look again but I don't think so....

You have to shorten or lengthen the chain to adjust the foot board angle.

You have to shorten or lengthen the chain to adjust the foot board angle.

Hi larry,

Yes you are correct, I just looked and seen that there are holes on the "sprocket?" where you can move the chain to adjust the footboard. Though I'm not quite sure how to do that and don't want to try and end up messing something up. Do I have to get a "kit" to be able to do it? Like tools and replacement parts or can I just pop the pin out and put it back in? Have you ever done that before? It would certainly be cool to try different positions if it's fairly easy to do.

Thanks.

If there are two small screws in the chain at the front of the foot board, you can take them out, and put the screws back in a couple links up. It's an easy operation.
I did this on 3 Eliminator pedals, and my new Atlas pedal.
I did the Eliminators about 9 years ago, so it doesn't affect the chain's stability or strength at all.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the reply. Actually it's not a screw, there is a "clip" that holds a pin in place. I think there is a certain tool that removes and maybe installs these type of clips efficiantly but otherwise a flat head screw driver would be needed to spread it apart and to "pop" it off the pin. It actually looks like more trouble than it's worth. I;d hate to pop that little clip off and either have a hell of a time getting it back on, not being able to get it back on or having something happen to where it puts me in a position to not be able to play.

The more I think about it, the setting I would like to have is an almost level foot board, a long throw to the beater and have the springs at max tension or close to it. I actually got a chance to mess with the Demon Drive, Iron Cobra and Speed Cobra at Guitar Center on Sunday (all single pedal setups) and holy mother of god what a difference lol. If I just rest my foot on either one, the beater rockets toward the bass drum head with ease. It's really incredible. I sort of liked the IC a tiny bit better as it had a better feel weight wise but really any three of them felt lightning quick. It would be a toss up between the IC and Speed for me as I liked the bigger foot board on the Speed Cobra. Maybe one day.

Back