Cheap hardware transportation bag?

.altamont.

hi there,
I'm looking for some king of bag to put my hardware in when I'm doing gigs. I know there are lots of companies out there making their own hardware bags/cases. The thing is, that I've got a small drum set and that I'm only using 3 stands total (1 crash/ride, 1 crash, hats) and my throne.

I don't really feel the need to get a 150$ hardware bag to only fill it half way. I'm kind of on a limited budget. I've seen another guy use a Titleist wheeled travel cover bag, looked great, kind of long but not to big.

You guys have other "smaller" bags ideas? (not talking about hockey pouch, but it still has to fit the hit-hat stand)

hi there,
I'm looking for some king of bag to put my hardware in when I'm doing gigs. I know there are lots of companies out there making their own hardware bags/cases. The thing is, that I've got a small drum set and that I'm only using 3 stands total (1 crash/ride, 1 crash, hats) and my throne.

I don't really feel the need to get a 150$ hardware bag to only fill it half way. I'm kind of on a limited budget. I've seen another guy use a Titleist wheeled travel cover bag, looked great, kind of long but not to big.

You guys have other "smaller" bags ideas? (not talking about hockey pouch, but it still has to fit the hit-hat stand)

I see you mention a wheeled golf bag. I bought an Ogio wheeled golf bag cover just for my drum hardware. I love it. It is built very well with straps inside to tighten up around the stands and straps on the outside to tighten the whole thing togeather. I was also looking for a good hardware bag before I bought this. I got it on sale from Bed Bath and Beyond of all places for around 20 bucks! Normal price was like 100.

Well, if you are not looking to buy a quality bag and you do not want the hockey pouch then you can go to a duffel bag...thing is they are ugly so you have to be looking for cheap and ugly to go that route!

how about a mic stand bag, you can get one off ebay for like 20-30 bucks new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OnStage-spe...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56395ba322

i got this exact same bag for free with a bunch of mic stands off musicians friend, pretty nice bag and it holds my 7 mic stands, 7 cymbal stands, 2 tom stands and a couple smaller things. with out the mic stands i bet you could fit in a hihat stand throne and just about all the hardware off an average kit. i'm actually thinking of getting a few more....

Here's the thing, you can spend 20-$30 on a cheaper bag, but if you gig a lot, or plan on gigging for years, the cheaper bag is going to last 'maybe' a year then start to fall apart.

Its worth it to spend the extra money on the best bag you can find. Trust me, it'll be cheaper in the long run. You don't want to be gigging with bags that are in a state of falling apart, that's when you'll wish you spent the extra money in the first place.

Nobody wants a used piece of crap drum bag that's falling apart, you'll be out the $30 in the end, better to put it towards something good and be done with it.

I use this bag in 46 inch or so. It fit's two pearl 900CB stands both with added boom arms, one iron cobra hat stand, Snare stand, DW humongos 4 leg air ride throne, tom arms, big kick pedal, Floor tom legs, drum rug, tool kit and spares, song book, music stand, my mikes and whatever else I jam in there. Everything is packed in their own sunbrella tube bags I made myself. (I'm a sail maker) Oh the DW throne seat lives seperately in a kaces snare bag. Nothing clunks together and it weighs a TON. We call it the body bag. It has wheels that work but is a bit ungainly to wheel around. It's soft in the truck and the bottom is rigid. I got mine used on ebay for about 40 bucks shipped. I highly recommend it. I didnt get the shoulder strap with mine but good god no one is man enough to single hand this thing! I do wheel it about just fine alone though. I wouldn't call it cheap but it's worth the money.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kaces-Drum-Hardware-Bag-With-Wheels-101021574-i1152501.gc

I am also in the market for cases or some sort of trasnportation gear. What I currently use now for my hardware is a rugged tote that I got from Home Depot, or maybe Lowe's-I forgot. Not the typical rubbermaid cheap ones, but a bit sturdier. It holds my throne, snare stand, 2 Gibraltar cymbal boom arms, double pedals( still connected), Drum bag( Laptop bag), and sticks.

PRO: This case only cost me $14.00. And it works well.
CON: It weights a ton, and there are no wheels. Makes me look like a tightwad.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend a sturdy tote. And actually, i think they sell this same kind WITH wheels for around 29.99. Here is the link to the one I have.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44066-51438-2921-002_0_?productId=3033542&Ntt=totes&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=totes

I am also in the market for cases or some sort of trasnportation gear. What I currently use now for my hardware is a rugged tote that I got from Home Depot, or maybe Lowe's-I forgot. Not the typical rubbermaid cheap ones, but a bit sturdier. It holds my throne, snare stand, 2 Gibraltar cymbal boom arms, double pedals( still connected), Drum bag( Laptop bag), and sticks.

PRO: This case only cost me $14.00. And it works well.
CON: It weights a ton, and there are no wheels. Makes me look like a tightwad.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend a sturdy tote. And actually, i think they sell this same kind WITH wheels for around 29.99. Here is the link to the one I have.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44066-51438-2921-002_0_?productId=3033542&Ntt=totes&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=totes
I looked at and I thought of using plastic totes and storage containers like the one that you are using. They are just as you said, Heavy and bulky.
The bag that I posted earlier by Gator is the cheapest solution that I have found for a small amount of hardware.
When I set up at practice or a gig, the hardware bag fits inside of the bass drum bag along with all of my other drum bags. I then have one bass drum bag to stow away while we play. The less space that you take up the better. Anyone who gigs will agree with me on this.

I looked at and I thought of using plastic totes and storage containers like the one that you are using. They are just as you said, Heavy and bulky.
The bag that I posted earlier by Gator is the cheapest solution that I have found for a small amount of hardware.
When I set up at practice or a gig, the hardware bag fits inside of the bass drum bag along with all of my other drum bags. I then have one bass drum bag to stow away while we play. The less space that you take up the better. Anyone who gigs will agree with me on this.

Yeah, my solution is temporary. The gator bags sound pretty good. I've heard that hard cases are the only way to go, but I pack up my stuff myself and am careful with everything. It all goes in my own vehicle. What I really need is the cart that, I think it was Yamahaha showed. That would be great. Has anyone used Beato bags? Nobody is mentioning them here, and they look pretty solid for bags....

Hardware cases without wheels....not for me. I'd echo Les Ismore advice and pony up. It's a necessity, but get one w/ wheels. Eventually, if you are serious, you will get a suitable hardware case, so why waste the money on cheap crap just to spend more anyway on what you NEED. Quality costs less in the long haul, plus you get to use good stuff = worth it.

Thanks for the advices guys.
I've ssen some great bags ideas from everyone. The thing is that I'm from Canada and shipping up north can cost more than the item itself.

I just bought this bag off ebay for 60$.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260538381908&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D260538381908%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Seems like an all-purpose bag with wheels, which seems to be necessary from what I've read from you guys. Size is kinda good, 40x18x18 but a bit short.

I think it was kind of a good deal, nothing to make your jaw drop but it seems practical. Plus it has free shipping in Canada, which is what gave me the heads up.

We'll see what I can do good with this when I received it.

Has anyone used Beato bags? Nobody is mentioning them here, and they look pretty solid for bags....
Both Beato and Galaxy are excellent.
I have used both of these bags over the recent years for both hardware and drums.

Stay away from Beato Pro ll... absolute crap in every way. Pro l acceptable.
That's right, I was talking about the Pro I series Beato bags. Thanks for mentioning that. If you're only carrying light hardware, the lower end Beato's will work. I think that the Gator's are better for the price. You can't go wrong with the Humes and Berg Galaxy series. Good price on them also.

Last edited:
Back