Joey Kramer

oldrockdrummer

All of you rockers out there have to know who Aerosmith is. Joey Kramer is still one of my favorite rock drummers, I mean what rock drummer hasn't practiced the grove to Walk This Way? 38 years with the band and still going strong hats off to you Joey!

A rock solid player, delivers just what the song calls for. I have seen Aeorsmith live and they are one of the best, tightest live shows I have ever seen.

Without a doubt, one of the great driving rock drummers.

After I saw Joey live the first time, my approach kinda changed a bit.

I was able to see him very close in concert too, and that was really cool.

Very tight and solid, and you can tell he's got huge ears listening to everything going on.

Without a doubt, one of the great driving rock drummers.

After I saw Joey live the first time, my approach kinda changed a bit.

I was able to see him very close in concert too, and that was really cool.

Very tight and solid, and you can tell he's got huge ears listening to everything going on.

Special mention has to got to go to the ride cymbal riff he plays on Love In An Elevator!

That is one beat I cannot nail, "Walk This Way"........I just can't get that kick pattern right, I can play it without a hi-hat pattern but it goes when I bring hats in... ; - (

That is one beat I cannot nail, "Walk This Way"........I just can't get that kick pattern right, I can play it without a hi-hat pattern but it goes when I bring hats in... ; - (

Try practicing it with quarter notes on the hat instead of eights untill the doted eighth kick becomes comfortable then go to eighths on the hat then go to the open hat on one. just build the beat a little at a time. thats how I have taught it to students over the years. once you get it fluently you can have big fun with variations of it.

A solid rock drummer with feel. Has developed his own technique through the years with a bit of funk, shuffle, ride patterns playing it on the song. Remember Back in the saddle, Rats in the cellar, Toys in the attic, Walk this way, Train Kept A Rolling, Mama kin, Lord of Thighs...

A solid rock drummer with feel. Has developed his own technique through the years with a bit of funk, shuffle, ride patterns playing it on the song. Remember Back in the saddle, Rats in the cellar, Toys in the attic, Walk this way, Train Kept A Rolling, Mama kin, Lord of Thighs...

Great stuff! None of those songs would be the same w/out his playing. He's a great example of a drummer who doesn't just hold the song up, but doesn't overplay either. His rhythms make each song what it is as much as the guitar part, the vocals, etc.

Joey Kramer is now playing Ludwig drums!!

There is a brief mention of it on the Ludwig site main page now. It's nice to see big name drummers actually leaving DW as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon. And then offering a long drawn-out explanation of why there are so much better then their previous endorsee. It usually come across as a sort of an odd apology...

At any rate, congratulations to Ludwig for landing Joey Kramer.

I used to play along to old albums like Toys in the Attic, Get Your Wings, Classics Live (killer drum performance throughout), Draw the Line, and IMO the best album, Rocks. The song "Combination" off of Rocks is so solid and hard hitting. Joey had me scratching my head on the beat he played in the end. I love his playing and I consider him one of my greatest influences even though I haven't liked an Aerosmith album since Pump.

I used to play along to old albums like Toys in the Attic, Get Your Wings, Classics Live (killer drum performance throughout), Draw the Line, and IMO the best album, Rocks. The song "Combination" off of Rocks is so solid and hard hitting. Joey had me scratching my head on the beat he played in the end. I love his playing and I consider him one of my greatest influences even though I haven't liked an Aerosmith album since Pump.
I love early Aerosmith I only put up with late 80's Aerosmith because the chicks dug it LOL

nothing taking away from JK very solid drummer "Walk this way" now there's a money beat
i'm stoked he's back with Ludwig also, bout' time.

Bonzolead

A very powerful and solid player for sure. Maybe with melodic drumfills his playing would be even more cool, but that is my humble opinion. ;) Joey is the jet engine Aerosmith always needed.

Yes, indeed. Joey never overcomes the drums, reasons why, his sound is nice and simple over complexity.

Great stuff! None of those songs would be the same w/out his playing. He's a great example of a drummer who doesn't just hold the song up, but doesn't overplay either. His rhythms make each song what it is as much as the guitar part, the vocals, etc.

On September 8, 2010 I got to meet the man! Not a penny was paid for this meeting it was all done through Twitter.

He is so kind, so gentle speaking and very generous. When the tweet came in that he was giving me a private book signing I nearly fell over! He signed my book, met my daughter and her boyfriend, answered a few questions for me and I asked him if he broke a stick could he throw it my way. Well he turned to his body guard and asked him to go get me a pair. When the sticks came to me he had also signed them.

I am adding the picture because I love it so much and want to share it with others who will understand. (Sorry about the red eye, I don't usually look like the devil!)

Rock on fellow drummers!

SAM_0009JoeyPIC.jpg
[/IMG]

Great picture, and good to hear he is a down to earth person. Not enough of them in this business.

Yep, outstanding rock drummer. And a real class act. First time I saw Aeorsmith was 1975, the Toys in the Attic tour, Los Angeles Forum. Joey was driving Ludwig back then ... great to hear he's back with them (came to his senses).

Haven't seen his name on here yet. He's Aerosmith's drummer. Just read his bio and he lives in my neck of the woods (Mass). Havent seen any discussions on him so I figured I'd start one as he was/is one of my biggest influences in high school.

Back