Jeff Porcaro

An incredible drummer with such of a great feel.

As a guitarist, I never really paid attention to Jeff Porcaros drumming. Some of the bands I was in covered, or attempted to cover Steely Dan, Toto and other things and the drummers just seemed off and we just didn't sound right.

Over the years, there were songs that I liked, and when I reviewed the liner notes, I see Jeff Porcaro everywhere. There was something about the songs on which he played. Lido Shuffle, Lowdown, I Keep Forgettin', The Girl is Mine, Beat It, Human Nature. Just to name a few that just resonated with me. I couldn't explain it. I just knew that there was something special about it.

One of my favorites is It's a Feeling by Toto. The beat is very subdued with great hi hat work. Then the part near the end when it sounds like he was going to explode with a thunderous roll, he's riding the bell hard for a couple of measures then he pulls it back in. Then there's Takin' It Back. I can go on, song after song where he does that one thing or two; an accent here, an open hi hat there, that just blows my mind. He played with class, great feel and pocket presence (football term.) I then realized that it was the little things and subtlety that mattered.He changed everything about me, musically. I calmed down, focused more on groove.

I didn't understand the significance of his passing, as I just started playing guitar when it happened. Now, I feel his death with each song I discovered he played on. I can only imagine the songs he would have made better had he still lived.

Because of him, what I couldn't figure out as a guitarist, I figured it out as a drummer. Because of Jeff Porcaro, I switched instruments. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Last edited:
As a guitarist, I never really paid attention to Jeff Porcaros drumming. Some of the bands I was in covered, or attempted to cover Steely Dan, Toto and other things and the drummers just seemed off and we just didn't sound right.

Over the years, there were songs that I liked, and when I reviewed the liner notes, I see Jeff Porcaro everywhere. There was something about the songs on which he played. Lido Shuffle, Lowdown, I Keep Forgettin', The Girl is Mine, Beat It, Human Nature. Just to name a few that just resonated with me. I couldn't explain it. I just knew that there was something special about it.

One of my favorites is It's a Feeling by Toto. The beat is very subdued with great hi hat work. Then the part near the end when it sounds like he was going to explode with a thunderous roll, he's riding the bell hard for a couple of measures then he pulls it back in. Then there's Takin' It Back. I can go on, song after song where he does that one thing or two; an accent here, an open hi hat there, that just blows my mind. He played with class, great feel and pocket presence (football term.) I then realized that it was the little things and subtlety that mattered.He changed everything about me, musically. I calmed down, focused more on groove.

I didn't understand the significance of his passing, as I just started playing guitar when it happened. Now, I feel his death with each song I discovered he played on. I can only imagine the songs he would have made better had he still lived.

Because of him, what I couldn't figure out as a guitarist, I figured it out as a drummer. Because of Jeff Porcaro, I switched instruments. For that, I am eternally grateful.

nice post

Jeff was very special
he had the gift of sounding absolutely perfect

I was lucky enough to study with his dad for a couple years in the late 90s and as you can imagine he loved telling stories about his son Jeff...and I absolutely loved listening

so inspiring

if you have not already check out his playing on Steely Dans "Your Gold Teeth II" ...throw it on

brilliant

we miss you Jeff

Thanks Andrew for the kind words, and thanks everyone for making me realize how backwards my attitude has been. The evidence is overwhelming on every front.

check out his playing on Steely Dans "Your Gold Teeth II" ...throw it on

brilliant

we miss you Jeff

Haven't listened to that album in a long time. You're right. Absolutely brilliant! Also, just discovered he did "The Spy Who Loved Me" by Carly Simon. I love that playing along to that one.

Last edited:
One of my favourite drummers. Played with so many artists, and always added a unique touch to everything he played. One of a kind, and deeply missed by so many, 20 years after his untimely death.

I have a Jeff question for you all - I've come across an album that Jeff played on, Brasiliero by Sergio Mendes, yet I'm curious to find out what specific tracks he played on - does anyone here know what tracks he played on?

You're sure about that ? I thought he only played on the song "Mother".

what great playing on "Mother" and such a great snare sound.

his father is fan-damn-tastic on "Bring The Boys Back Home".

This is sort of an odd question, but maybe others would like to know as well.

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind Jeff used in the studio? Specifically, these ones:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/drumlessonscom/00-drummers/jeff-porcaro-thumb.jpg

try posting this on the gear section or the general section (or both). a headphone expert may indeed know, but in this section...only a Jeff Porcaro fan would look here....and they may not know.

i'd title the post What Kind Of Headphones Are These ? -or- What Headphones Is Jeff Porcaro Using Here ?

Good call Alex, and an interesting response from Mr. Harrison!

At first I thought the drum track to Heavy Fuel was just pure heavy rock. But I've scrutinized this song, and it's sounding more and more mechanical. I think Gavin has raised a good point.

Mark Knopfler, if your reading, PLEASE TELL US!!

Well I'm not sure why anyone would think I made that story up about Manu at the drummers day and the fact he played on Heavy Fuel (then again I was wrong about the rest being all Jeff..!).. anyway, here's a pretty definitive answer:

http://www.manu-katche.com/contributions.htm?page=8

Not only was he a "less is more" guy, playing-wise, he was apparently in the gear department too. He didn't bring 50 snare drums to every session or anything like that. He used one kit and maybe a primary and a piccolo and one set of cymbals. People hired him to sound like HIM. Truly amazing cat. Watching him and JR, make me want to switch back to matched grip... almost. ;)

I remember when Jeff died. I was really bummed. I was just getting serious and getting into "good" drummers, not the hack "rock star" guys but the cats who replaced them in the studio. Huge loss, truly.

I really wish people would stop making instructional videos on "how to play the Rosanna shuffle". He, himself, did that in his own instructional video, so I really don't see the point in some guy on "Expert Village" or even Bissonette on the Drum Channel doing it. NOBODY can make it sound correct and groove like he did.

The main thing I learned from Jeff Porcaro is to stay the hell away from drugs.

I totally agree. However, my understanding was that it was a combination of a pesticide he was using in his garden with cocaine in his system. From what I know from people who know him, he was not an "excess" guy, like so many others we could name. He just got really, really unlucky one day. Probably should have hired a gardener, too. :(

Back